« first day (1214 days earlier)      last day (2460 days later) » 
02:00 - 16:0016:00 - 00:00

4:06 PM
You can also put a second と after B. — istrasci 2 days ago
That's true!
> AとBとの違い
> AとB の違い
But . . .
> [ 鍵と直美  ]-の講義 'a joint lecture by Ken & Naomi' OR 'Ken's lecture & Naomi's lecture'
> [ 鍵と直美と ]-の講義 'a joint lecture by Ken & Naomi'
> [ 鍵と直美  ]-の講義 (可)→ [ 鍵の講義 ]-と [ 直美の講義 ]
> [ 鍵と直美と ]-の講義 (不)
I think AとBとのC is useful to write when it could be ambiguous, like to avoid this interpretation: Aと [ BのC ]
Because the extra と rules that out
But I think it is somewhat less common
 
did someone say javascript?
 
So I think there are differences between AとB and AとBと and if you are going to teach them both then you should also talk about the differences
I have to admit I like the sound of AとBとの〜 :-)
 
I can't honestly say that code is very well commented
but it makes furigana work, that's what it does?
 
Mostly!
 
i take it you're a developer too?
 
4:14 PM
Hehe. Me? Yeah, a li'l bit :-)
 
snailboat speaks with us through her own code to English transcoder
I actually find angled quotes easier to read that double quotes
 
〈These guys?〉 《How about double angled quotes?》
 
they came with my keyboard layout: »« ›‹
I mean for Latin text
 
« Oh, the French sort! »
Those are called guillemets.
 
Well, in French they're used like « this ». In German like »this«
 
4:23 PM
Oh!
That's why they're in your layout!
 
Right
 
Sorry, I learned even less German than French :-)
 
I use a German keyboard layout, although I never type German =)
 
»That's neat!«
 
mostly English, Japanese and Portuguese =)
 
4:24 PM
»It's like having little feathers on your sentences.«
 
oh, snailboat is female. and double brackets are called guillemets.
i have learned two things today.
and german reverses them. 3 things.
 
Oh, Unicode has less fancy sounding names for them
LEFT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK
 
hahaha
 
@Earthliŋ noooo... abuse of HTML semantics! haha
 
Well, I wasn't off by too much when I called them angled brackets...
 
4:26 PM
@3to5businessdays Ehh, the attempt at semantic classes is mostly a failure
 
@3to5businessdays On a page I designed, I used <i> to switch fonts. Does that make me an outlaw?
 
Doesn't mean we need to errr... propagate the failure
 
Maybe an outstandard. Or a scoffstandard.
 
We try our best
 
(within a single w<i>o</i>rd)
 
4:27 PM
@3to5businessdays Well, I don't think there's any reason to respect it.
 
I try not to do weird things with the common ones at least
 
Is the HTML for the code blocks <code>?
 
like using <code> for quoting English words
 
@Earthliŋ Yes
 
question: one of my concerns with JL&U is that i might search for a question via romaji and not realize it's already been asked because it's in kanji/kana, which I don't know enough to search in yet
is there any way around this?
 
4:29 PM
And the preformatted text blocks on SE use both <code> and <pre>
@Aerovistae No
 
like i wanted to ask difference in usage for dame/iie, but i couldn't find anything in romaji at least
 
But there are pre-existing discussions on meta
 
search with kanji
 
You might be able to contribute
Most questions don't have romaji.
 
is it still okay to ask in romaji??
 
4:29 PM
Dame is often written ダメ or 駄目 or sometimes だめ
Yes
 
why is it written in katakana?
it doesn't sound like a loanword
 
There is a question for that :-)
 
ダメよ…ダメダメ
 
Katakana is not specifically for loanwords
Katakana has at least half a dozen purposes you'll need to memorize
 
4:30 PM
it's for so many things yeah
 
Use for loanwords is just one
 
like food stuff
 
Names in biology of plants and animals and such (except for common ones)
 
@snailboat myth busted
 
i used to know this...i had forgotten
 
4:31 PM
Use-mention distinction, if you want to talk about the particle を in Japanese you can call it ヲ so people don't get confused
 
i don't know any particles :)
i only know neko
 
Like italics in English, where I talk about where
 
just learning my kana now.
 
By putting it in italics so you know I'm not actually using the word
 
right
 
4:31 PM
but italics is used for emphasis too...
 
Yes, true
 
but it looks terrible
 
Good to know it's called "Use-mention distinction" though;
 
trade term
 
Yep! Italics are the standard way of indicating the use-mention distinction in linguistics
 
4:32 PM
I was going to ask what's that thing called
Yeah, I imagine there's no use case for emphasis in linguistics
 
People use bold for emphasizing in linguistics, or underline (which we cannot do here because Jeff Atwood hates us)
 
There's probably some unicode combining character for that... hee
 
Hah
 
no ?
oh
 
And it probably renders off to one side in certain browsers… :-)
 
4:34 PM
i tried using underscores and it just went to italics
was expecting underline
 
Yeah, I bet you were :-)
No underline for you!
You can use strikethrough in chat, though, with a triple dash: strikethrough
---strikethrough--- ← strikethrough
 
yeah, that's allowed, of course
but not underline
makes sense
 
​       ↖ No it doesn't :-(
 
Jeff Atwood hates us?
 
He doesn't really, but he made an arbitrary decision not to allow underlines (because he dislikes them?) and no one's ever unmade the decision since
 
4:36 PM
̲w
 
hm...
 
It's true that you could use U+0332
 
But keep in mind that not all browsers render combining characters correctly at this point
 
Internet powers that be doesn't seem to favor underlining in general
Except for U
*URL
 
4:37 PM
best argument is that underlined --> clickable, on the web
 
u̲n̲d̲e̲r̲l̲i̲n̲e̲
That's not really an argument, though
 
why do you say that?
?
 
sorry guys I'm trying to write underlines characters
 
lol
 
Different conventions have different uses in different contexts.
Jeff Atwood made some decisions for all of Stack Exchange when he was working on Stack Overflow
And they don't all make sense for every site
He broke tables and underline because he doesn't like them
And we've been fighting the lack of tables on Japanese.SE where ad hoc tables simply fail because of that arbitrary decision
 
4:40 PM
Tables are useful
 
Here, links are blue. Being able to underline some text in a quote would allow you to reproduce that quote accurately, something we can't do right now
And that text would be black and wouldn't respond to mouseover
There would be no problem.
 
I'd like something like
A & B & C \\
a & b & c
 
It's annoying quoting a reference grammar which talks about the "underlined portion" and not actually being able to underline it in the examples you're quoting
 
modify the quote
 
4:42 PM
With a decent monospace in the input text field that'd be marvellous
 
angle-bracketed portion
 
The "people might think it's a link" argument is after-the-fact justification
A rationalization rather than the reason it was done
 
well, colours are better for links, I think
 
@3to5businessdays Yes, it's just annoying, especially when bold and italics are used for different purposes
 
and colours look pretty, too!
 
4:43 PM
I like colors!
 
so... other than quoting text which specifies "underlined portion"
oh wait, you did mention emphasis
though that can be bolded
 
Underline isn't my first choice for emphasis
I wouldn't use underline all the time if I had the choice
It's only frustrating when it's the right thing to do and you can't
@3to5businessdays There's no real reason to worry about semantic classes in HTML
You could argue that in principle, the semantic classes communicate important information for browsers for the disabled, like screen readers
But screen readers don't make use of that information
So you're not actually helping anyone by making the distinction
 
H̲̣̣̣̥α̩̩̩̩̥ά̲̣̥:Dн̣̣̣̝̤̥̇̇̇̈̊α̣̣̥α̍̍̊α̇̇̇̊=Ḍ̥H̲̣̣̣̥̩̩̩̥ά̲̣̥α̩̩̩̥̇̇̇ά̲̣̥α̇̇̇=)) н̣̣̣̝̤̥̇̇̇̈̊α̣̣̥α̍̍̊α̇̇̇̊=D
 
You're just rearranging deck chairs …
Well done!
 
I pasted some stuff on the URL bar on chrome, and this appeared
weird
 
4:54 PM
@3to5businessdays sͮ́ͩͤͬͤ̉̍̈́ͧ̔ͥ́͆̌̈́͘͘͝҉̡̯̙̼̯̤̩͓̻̱ͅn̡̺̞̩͓̲͓̺̹̞̠̝̭̹̼̥̲ͮ̑́̉̈̅͑ͬ͒͗̿̅ͫ͂̚̚͢͞ả͛̽̌ͪ̎͂ͩ̽̅͊‌​̸̨̞͖͙͈̺̗̭̦̝̦͕̙̰͖̚͢i̵̷̱̬̭̳̮̬̲͇̺̟̤̪̺̣̺̮͉͙̐̃̾͆͑̆ͫ̽ͫͤ͆̋̆͑ͪ̔̎̚͡l̵̷̐ͧ̓͑̌̋͑̑̏̒̽̓ͬ̊҉͍̖̫͎̀‌​̲̟̥̭̠͇̬̹̜͚͕͙s̶̢̠̼̼̜̼͉̹̘̜̻̣͍͙͍̮̲̍̍̒ͦ̚
 
how?
semantics - bold vs strong
 
Yes, there is no reason to use strong
 
or <i> vs <em>
 
You can if you like, though :-)
 
I heard that it could be important when internationalization is involved
different languages might have different way of emphasizing
or even people might like to style their emphasized text differently
say with an underline
as opposed to italics
 
4:59 PM
There's no reason you can't style <b>
 
or maybe you are using <b> for multiple things
 
Besides, <b> is considered semantic by HTML5
 
Was comparing <i> vs <em> though
 
5:01 PM
Same.
They aren't necessarily bold or italic.
 
> Authors are encouraged to consider whether other elements might be more applicable than the i element, for instance the em element for marking up stress emphasis, or the dfn element to mark up the defining instance of a term.
 
Though they once were
@3to5businessdays Yeah, they do make a distinction
It's just not an important one
 
> The b element should be used as a last resort when no other element is more appropriate. In particular, headings should use the h1 to h6 elements, stress emphasis should use the em element, importance should be denoted with the strong element, and text marked or highlighted should use the mark element.
 
Haha.
 
So yeah
I mean sometimes people use large font size + b to replicate a heading
* the appearance of a heading
that is semantics too
 
5:03 PM
Well, I'm not saying people should use <b> for everything and the kitchen sink
Just that I don't feel the difference between <b> and <strong>, or between <i> and <em> is terribly important
 
or table for layout
 
HTML is kind of a giant sadness pile to begin with . . .
 
so messy
I mean HTML
not tables haha
 
Hehe!
 
clusterfuck, even
 
5:05 PM
I used tables for layout! In like, the 90s
I need caffeine!@#
 
Rockstar!
 
To the teamobile! Which is not mobile at all and is in fact my kitchen
 
I like Japanese quotes
I mean the quoting symbol
 
んが
よけようきだら
 
I have absolutely no idea what you said there;
 
5:12 PM
This needs explanations!
んが is something a sleepy person says
sort of "blurp"
よけようきだら is effectively same as おはようございます but less common variant. :]
 
naru-hodor
 
but actually there's one more variant - およりやろーか
 
@Rilakkuma It has four Google hits, one of which is you talking, and the rest of which are the same tweet
 
@snailboat yeah, that is mr 阿久津 twitter I guess
he is one of those rare speakers of Hachijo language
and even more exotic since he has internet - others not so much.
 
So instead of saying "less common variant", you could say "expression in a different language"
 
5:19 PM
this was sort of irony, because there are long discussions if Hachijo is a language or still a dialect.
 
Mmm, caffeine
Well, linguists consider it a language
 
because if a dialect then must be "just less common variant" :D
which sounds like a nonsense...
 
Well, if you say "less common variant" it makes it sound like it might be standard Japanese
 
not at all :/
 
whoa 4 hits
only the 2 of you spoke it in Google-verse
 
5:22 PM
wow, うきみそーちー got more than 3000
 
Although they only actually return 123 results: google.com/…
 
still much wider than よけ- "variant"
 
There's a variant: うきみそーち
 
I think there are at least 10 stable dialects of Ryukyuan language so they should have good amount of variants.
 
It says here
> ただ実際の生活では、使ってる事をあまり見かけません。
 
5:27 PM
yes, this is interesting
then I wonder how do they say おはよう
うきてぃー ?
 
which sounds pretty much like some hardcore Aichi 起きろ!
 
what's with these neo-nazi groups
 
I thought recently they are less active than, say, 4 years ago.
then it was very common to find ones on Shibuya crossing screaming about how America and China are the reasons of kittens dying.
Now can't remind when I saw them last time there.
and never saw them in Shin-Okubo in Tokyo where it is hard to hear Japanese on the street at times
btw I used to live next to a North Korean school in Kanagawa. As surprising as it sounds, but there are several such schools around the country and apparently they are sponsored by the government (Japanese, not Kim's).
 
I think I saw some North Korean university in a Vice video or something
Girl wearing long robe and speaking North Korean
* university in Japan
on Vice JP
volcano eruption
 
5:40 PM
Oh, yeah, I read about that :-(
 
While people were hiking!
 
 
1 hour later…
6:44 PM
@Aerovistae I've added some more comments to the Furigana engine at gist.github.com/cyphr/6536814, hopefully it's a bit easier to understand now
 
Yay!
Thank you for all the work on the furigana script, cypher! :-)
For what it's worth, I think it's a short enough script that it's fairly easy to read without extensive commenting
It's formatted nicely and the functions are named readably and so forth
Although I might be biased since I already know what it does :-)
 
uh thanks...it's a bit of a delicate flower, but it seems to keep chugging along somehow :)
 
Hehe!
I guess I've just seen a lot of really awful, giant code
 
6:59 PM
@3to5businessdays in fact there's unusual volcanic activity now in Japan
now 11 volcanos are active. Normally only about 6-7
furigana code looks good, especially considering this is JavaScript!
 
7:29 PM
@Earthliŋ Currently the Furigana script doesn't make the input text field use a Japanese monospace font - IMHO the readability of the English text suffers, so I've only added it to the <pre> and <code> tags as I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages (pic: postimg.org/image/gzyvug1d5)
I'm not entirely sure why either, but even though the font should be monospace it doesn't seem to be aligned on my Ubuntu PC/IPAGothic font in the text area (even though it displays OK in the <code>/<pre> area)
 
So the problem is only with the input field?
 
it seems that way (on my PC at least)
 
I see, I'll have to try it
I'm using the same font on the same system... Japanese font defaults are a nightmare, though
 
Yeah, note though that <pre>/<code> tags are currently not displayed in a Japanese monospace font in the Furigana engine that's currently live on the site, only the updated version
 
is there any reason not to use web fonts?
 
7:37 PM
they'd be pretty large if Japanese
 
size, i guess
 
@snailboat I have seen ない and ほしい referred to as 補助動詞 before, though given that there do exist the terms 補助形容詞 and 補助用言, I guess that's just sloppiness.
 
@DariusJahandarie I don't know what theory of grammar would classify ない as a 補助動詞
It doesn't appear to make sense
 
Yes, that was me just giving an incorrect example.
s/ない/にくい/
 
Although 補助形容詞 seems like a neat enough term :-)
Interestingly, Martin says that 〜てほしい comes from 関西弁 and was unknown in Edo Japanese 190 years ago
Although that's obviously history
 
7:51 PM
@snailboat Are 副詞 considered 連用修飾語? (I would assume so, but just trying to make sure I understand the term.)
It's weird that "I think that X is not a Y" and "I don't think X is a Y" are fairly interchangeable in English, while in Japanese "XはYじゃないと思う" and "XはYだと思わない" do not seem as interchangeable to me.
 
Negative scope is tricky…
 
I have reading issues, books like that are kind of difficult for me.
 
> また、「熱く語る」という文脈では、「熱い」という形が「熱く」に変わっていますが、品詞はやはり形容詞で、その形で連用修飾の役割を果たしています。連用修飾の機能を本‌​来とする語は副詞なので、「副詞的用法」ともいわれます。
 
Thanks.
One day I will not be illiterate.
 
> 副詞を例にとると、次の(7)あの「たいてい」は、副詞本来の働きである連用修飾をしていますが、(7)bは、「場合」を修飾するために、「の」を伴って連体修飾の成分に‌​なっています。なお、(7)bの形は、(5)c(名詞の連体修飾)と同じです。
 
8:04 PM
wait a minute how many professional JS developers are currently sitting in this chat?
raises hand
 
What does it mean to be a professional $x developer?
 
Syntax Error: Unexpected token $x
what do you mean by $x?
 
Would you prefer "professional <fill-in-the-blank> developer"?
 
What does it mean to be a professional [insert programming language here] developer?
 
let me consider.
 
8:09 PM
I transitively get paid to write JavaScript, but writing JavaScript is not in my job description and if someone asked me to describe what I do I would certainly not say "I'm a professional JavaScript developer".
 
defined: an individual who, as part of the standard duties of their work, writes JavaScript code at a proficient level. Or who is capable of doing so, even if they are not at this time.
 
That's not true. You can be a professional developer without being proficient
 
i agree
 
I think it just means you get paid for it. :-)
 
so let's call this the definition for an "Experienced" JS developer
 
8:11 PM
I also get paid to breath, because breathing is necessary to accomplish any of my tasks at work. Does that mean I'm a professional breather?
 
rather than a professional one.
which fits your counterargument.
you are an experienced breather.
....I'm guessing
 
I'm an experienced breather, too!
 
I've been working on it lately.
 
I've been paid to write JS in the past, though no one is paying me to do it at the moment
And I've never actually gone out of my way to learn JS
It just sort of happened :-)
 
that seems to be the way of it with most people who know JS, I find
 
8:13 PM
I'm getting paid to write Go, and I went out of my way to not learn Go.
 
Hahaha.
 
yeah i hated the look of go, deliberately avoided it.
not my type.
 
Of course it's not your type, it's nowhere near polymorphic enough for that.
 
I like Objective-C :D
which is also somewhat rigid.
@snailboat how far can you get only knowing the kana?
 
As far as I've gotten, at least. I barely know any kanji.
I do still consider myself a beginner, so that's not very far.
 
8:19 PM
Yeah...it doesn't take more than a couple days to learn the kana
but it takes sooooooooo long to learn the kanji
 
I've been learning Japanese for years.
 
just havent focused on it?
on the kanjij i mean
 
Pretty much. I don't read very much, and have never just spent time studying kanji, so there's no reason I would have learned.
I did recently get 下町ロケット at the recommendation of a friend, and am very, very slowly reading through it, so maybe I'll eventually improve.
 
8:36 PM
i cannot read that yet
what does it say?
 
Shitamachi Rocket. It's the title of a book.
 
@Aerovistae A blind native speaker is still a fluent native speaker, even if they don't know any kana. But it's definitely a major disadvantage
@DariusJahandarie Yay! The more you do, the easier it gets :-)
 
9:34 PM
I just posted some fiction to lang-8. The errors probably make it sound very dumb, but ah well, I wanted to write something.
 
Yay!
 
I even used an adversarial passive! Probably incorrectly, since I think it's extra-thematic! But oh well. I'll see if it gets marked incorrect or not.
 
10:10 PM
I have you as a friend on Lang-8!
I'm surprised it gives me the option to post corrections since I have the same language settings you do
Say, are there any input methods available that expose statistical analysis to the end-user? "Sure, you could pick this kanji, but it's highlighted somewhat reddish because it's only used 1/15th of the time"
I mean, obviously you can present more likely options in a given context, and input methods do that now
 
10:32 PM
@snailboat WOW that's a clever idea
 
11:02 PM
But actually giving some kind of indication other than an order could be nice
 
02:00 - 16:0016:00 - 00:00

« first day (1214 days earlier)      last day (2460 days later) »