« first day (4581 days earlier)      last day (381 days later) » 

12:01 AM
@Robusto Right. So I think the only existential threats are the ones I mentioned.
 
It would certainly feel like collapse in some areas.
 
Some areas is just a completely different thing.
Civilisation is collapsing in various areas all the time.
Villages in Nigeria, Bakhmut.
That has always been normal throughout human history, alas.
 
So for example, Iranians are always either having bread or rice in their food. And due to an often weaker sun and that people cover almost all of their body, a 50,000 IU pill is recommended once a month here
 
Right.
Do you take such a pill?
 
OTOH, you have some recommendations against, say, taking more than 10,000 IU vit-D a day. So what's going on here? Well, the answer is evidence-based clinical studies of higher quality are scarce, so both recommendations are weak
Sorry, not pill, soft gel
@Cerberus occasionally yes. And I'm also sometimes prescribed the active form of vitamin D (calcitriol) because I only have one functioning kidney in my body
 
12:10 AM
What is active versus inactive?
 
The 50,000 IU softgels are cheap, so I'm usually not apprehensive about recommending them, especially to the elderly customers. You have a lot of self-informed patients though that insist on taking higher doses because they read it somewhere, and to them I usually recommend a 25-OH vit D test first
 
So you already work with patients?
 
@Cerberus if vitamin D is made in the skin, it needs to be activated twice. One happens in the liver, the other in the kidneys. Vitamin D ingested in food is already the version activated by the liver, if I'm not wrong. Now, patients with liver failure usually have bigger problems than vitamin D, but you have stable patients with Chronic Kidney Disease that require chronic therapy for whatever complications they face.
One is that they don't produce active vitamin D much anymore. It has two OH groups and needs a third one. So you need to supplement them with the active form of vitamin D that also has an OH on position 25.
 
Thanks for the explanation, that's mostly clear!
 
Vitamin D ampoules and supplements contain the version that needs to be activated. The active version is considered a therapeutic drug
 
12:16 AM
Interesting.
 
@Cerberus well I've been in a pharmacy since I was 6
I'm only recently understanding what I was doing
 
Wordle 707 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Cool, is it your parents' pharmacy?
 
In the Diagon Alley
He's a wizard, but his relatives haven't told him yet.
 
@Cerberus yep
 
12:18 AM
My grandparents also had a pharmacy, my father also was there a lot.
 
@CowperKettle I especially love the part when Gandalf says "Harry, I have the high ground!"
 
@Cerberus Great
My grandparent had a smithy.
 
Mine had an apple garden
 
@CowperKettle Even cooler.
So my grandmother was a pharmacist, and I think my grandfather only switched to pharmacy much later, when there were no jobs for engineers soon after the war.
So I think she went to university long before the war, he again after.
 
12:34 AM
@M.A.R. Lots of debate around this. There's no completely solid evidence that Vitamin D does anything except prevent rickets; it also isn't clear what normal preindustrial levels were.
That said, here the recommendation (IIRC) is 1000-2000 IU per day, if you take a supplement. Lots of people take more though, since there isn't much regulation.
 
1:18 AM
Vitamin D may improve the delivery of folate to the brain by upregulating an alternative transfer route: the reduced folate carrier (RFC) pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31405972
Coincidentally, there's a hypothesis that low vitamin D during pregnancy may be one of the factors predisposing to mental disorders in the child. pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36613505
> "However, recent genetic analyses have also suggested that common variants linked to schizophrenia may lead to lower vitamin D concentrations (possibly mediated via reduced outdoor activity)." sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0920996421002164
But it's hard to tell apart the cause and the effect here.
 
So September children should be the craziest?
 
The other way around :)
The sickest kids are those born in spring or late winter, the healthiest are born in late summer or early fall.
 
Isn't early pregnancy the most important for these things?
 
For folate metabolism, yes -- the first trimester is the most important one.
 
1:34 AM
This one should be hairloss/baldness.
So it seems that baldness and body hairiness coincide?
And somehow Scandinavians are as hairy as Mediterraneans, far more so than most Slavs?
 
Jun 13, 2013 at 13:21, by Robusto
@RegDwighт Look, none of that shit matters. The guy who invented the GIF pronounces it JIF. I pronounce it correctly. If someone in a position of authority disagrees with me, they're wrong. It's that simple.
 
This quote will have a 10-year anniversary soon.
 
Indeed.
Mar 6, 2012 at 13:32, by Robusto
@MrShinyandNew安宇 Sorry, faulty parallelism in my sentence. I say care and sequel and gif (not jif) and rejex and ... well, you get the idea.
 
2:35 AM
@CowperKettle Folic acid (for pregnant women) is the one supplement that is definitively beneficial.
 
3:12 AM
Yes. And downregulation of folate receptor alpha in pregnancy is associated with spina bifida in the child pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36054333
> In some cases, even pregnant women who receive sufficient folic supplementation acid give birth to a child with neural tube disorders. Research has shown that genetic alterations in folate metabolism, folate receptors, and transport proteins render these women susceptible. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK555903
Ramaekers et al believe that in some cases, women cannot bear a child without NTD because of autoantibodies that block folate receptor alpha from doing its job. They claim to have helped one such patient.
 
 
2 hours later…
4:58 AM
Interesting! Curiously, the micronutrient content of foods (including with respect to folate) can vary between countries due to fortification laws
 
@Robusto I used to pronounce it as G I F.
 
What, rich countries cannot be deficient?
And: what cereals?
 
In the US, a cup of Kellogg's Corn Flakes has 200 mcg DFE of folate
 
Most people don't eat those breakfast boxes, though?
So is it also added to bread and flour?
So it seems to be, Wikipedia consulted.
 
5:04 AM
@alphabet Green is better?
 
Noo.
"Inadequate".
 
1/2 cup of Grape Nuts cereal has 360mcg DFE
If you have a full cup every day, you probably don't need a supplement even during pregnancy
 
I think they did not intend what I assume you're talking about, those breakfast boxes.
 
@Vikas Green is better, white is no data.
 
No, white is rich countries.
Grey is no data.
 
5:07 AM
@Cerberus I just mean normal breakfast cereal
@Cerberus The lines on "gray" countries = mandatory fortification
The correlation seems fairly small, probably because fortification is often done voluntarily
 
@alphabet I don't know why you say 'normal': most people don't eat those boxes.
What they mean is:
A cereal is any grass cultivated for the edible components of its grain (botanically, a type of fruit called a caryopsis), which is composed of an endosperm, a germ, and a bran. Cereal grain crops are grown in greater quantities and provide more food energy worldwide than any other type of crop and are therefore staple crops. They include rice, wheat, rye, oats, barley, millet and maize. Edible grains from other plant families, such as buckwheat, quinoa and chia, are referred to as pseudocereals. In their unprocessed whole grain form, cereals are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates...
 
@Cerberus Oh. "Cereal" on the chart I sent above means literally wheat/maize/rice
When I was talking about Grape Nuts I meant breakfast cereal
 
@alphabet There are no lines on the grey countries.
 
Sorry for the confusion
@Cerberus Oh wait sorry I misread it
 
Oh, except Papua New-Guinea.
Rich countries are assumed to have no inadequacy.
 
5:10 AM
But yeah, given the existence of food fortification, the need for folic acid supplementation likely varies between countries
 
Most rich countries don't have the fortification.
But I assume they have no inadequacies.
 
There's a hypothesis that in some people, folic acid actually may inhibit the transport of folate into the brain, by binding the FRa too tightly. It has only been tested in cell cultures and in animals, and there's only a single observational study in two human patients. But just in case, conditions associated with low CNS folate are not treated with folic acid, it's avoided. Reduced forms are used.
 
Ww still eat raw flour made from wheat. So I guess there are no fortificationa. Sometimes we buy packaged flour.
 
@Cerberus The US does. That chart only covers thiamine, of course; not sure about the situation with folate.
 
5:12 AM
@Vikas Then again, I read that the processing removes the vitamin. So perhaps the processing used in India doesn't need fortification?
I don't know.
 
Basically, folic acid is presumed to "hog" all the FRa receptors to itself, crowd the CNS, where it fails to get properly transformed into the proper form, 5-MTHF, because in the brain the activity of the proper enzyme is lower than elsewhere in the body.
 
@alphabet What I meant is that there doesn't seem to be a clear conexion between fortification and having no inadequacy, if we assume the rich countries have no inadequacies.
 
I also don't know. But older generation here believes packaged is not as good as raw. But they have no evidence.
 
Therefore there's a hypothesis that in some women, it might be dangerous to overdose on folic acid, because that would paradoxically elevate the chances of autism in the child. It's all very hypothetical thus far.
 
We often buy wheat from any farmer. Then send it to local "flour maker" machine/shop and that's it.
 
5:16 AM
@Cerberus Yeah, kind of an odd result. I suspect it's because of voluntary fortification in places where it isn't mandatory.
@Vikas Interesting. Here in the US I'm pretty sure most people don't even know how bread is made.
 
@alphabet Oh, that could be part of it, right.
And/or it could be related to malnutrition?
 
@Cerberus Yeah. I doubt Kellogg's reformulates Corn Flakes to remove the thiamine in places where it isn't mandatory.
"Indian" bread is reasonably popular here; most supermarkets sell prepackaged Naan which I'm pretty sure is only vaguely related to actual Indian food.
 
@alphabet Haha still focusing on the American boxes.
It is the flour that is fortified, and the whole grains, I should think, not whatever specific product only dome people eat.
 
@Cerberus I do know that some people think breakfast cereal is old-fashioned. I don't understand why.
 
It is not old fashioned: it is just not what this is about.
You might as well focus on pies or sandwiches.
 
5:24 AM
Is breakfast cereal an American thing?
 
I think the kind you have in mind, probably.
It is sold here as well.
But it isn't a standard thing.
But the point is that it is only one use of cereals.
Other uses are probably far higher, when measured by weight per person per day on average.
 
Yeah, indeed. Breakfast cereals do have an odd tendency to brag about being "fortified," though.
 
They are very commercial and American, right?
Even those big boxes.
So it would make sense for them to advertise random stuff.
It is possible that they add other fortifications.
 
Yeah. Mostly the super-sugary ones advertised to kids. They claim to be "fortified" so people think they're healthy
 
I read about Kellogs adding actual pieces of iron to some breakfast boxes. Which @M.A.R. can tell you will not really be absorbed by the body as usable iron.
 
5:29 AM
Huh. Breakfast cereal is great, but also super unhealthy. Even the "healthy" ones are pure carbs.
 
My supermarket also advertises adding vitamin C to packaged juices, which I read won't really be useful in that form.
 
Doesn't juice already have Vitamin C?
 
@alphabet Not pure carbs, probably also lots of fat?
@alphabet It normally breaks down quickly after pressing, I think.
So they add extra after.
Which is dubious.
I eat muesli.
 
Hmm. Anyway I need to go to sleep since it's 1:30 am here.
 
Which has neither sugar nor fat, except what's in the actual cereal.
Yeah, go to bed!
So should I.
 
5:33 AM
@alphabet well, when you say "completely solid evidence", you're referring to quite a high bar of certainty. For example, we could infer from from the signs of vit D deficiency some of its roles, and that supplementation would prevent those at least. So vitamin D plays pivotal roles everywhere, but whether changes in D levels encountered in most people reflect changes in those markers is much more debatable
@CowperKettle man you and your folate obsession :)
 
Father's Day, the smallest boat to cross the Atlantic (1993)
 
@CowperKettle you never have a fully sterile environment. There's no true vacuum. Child birth defects never drop to exactly zero. C'est la vie
 
nods
 
@CowperKettle that's pretty interesting
 
Yes
I'm just wondering why I have such a strong allergy to folate.
I had to bandage the backs of my hands and my fingers, to ensure that the cracks in the skin get healed.
 
5:42 AM
@Cerberus what? Like a . . . Lump of iron?
 
There's a great new brand of sticking plaster that allows air in and out, and clings tightly. I used up some rolls of it.
 
@CowperKettle did you take folic acid at times?
 
@M.A.R. 15 years ago I took it without problems, but 3 years ago I took L-methylfolate and now I have a very strong reaction to L-methylfolate and to folic acid.
 
Because if you did, and you happened to be allergic, allergies don't easily go away by themselves
 
@M.A.R. Yes, very tiny lumps, I believe. Like grains of sand, maybe.
 
5:44 AM
I just translated a news report on L-methylfolate three years ago, and tried it out. And whow. Suddenly I felt energetic again, so I ordered some more. But before it arrived by mail, I already was allergic.
 
WTF
 
No, there are special forms of iron used in tablets.
Ferrous sulfate
 
@M.A.R. Maybe it was only done once and then quickly reverted. I don't remember where I read about it. Except that it was just ineffective, had no nutritional value.
 
Elemental iron has much different properties than Fe(II), which has different properties than Fe(III). Just like how chlorine gas is different from table salt.
@Cerberus I would expect it to be pretty harmful
Hence my WTF
 
@M.A.R. What would it do?
> We extracted iron microparticles from samples of two own-brand supermarket cornflakes using a strong permanent magnet.
... To mimic conditions in the stomach, we suspended the iron extract in dilute HCl (pH 1.0–2.0) at 310 K (body temperature) and found by ICP-MS that over a period of 5 hours, up to 13% of the iron dissolved. This implies that despite its metallic form in the cornflakes, the iron is potentially bioavailable for oxidation and absorption into the body.
 
5:50 AM
@Cerberus well, for starters, iron can form radicals. Yeah those radicals. Ferrous sulfate can sometimes exacerbate inflammatory bowel disorders
 
@M.A.R. Hmm.
 
Second, it's some indigestible solid. It can go deposit somewhere, it can clog up spaces, tear off tissue, I dunno.
 
One would imagine they knew about such issues?
 
One would imagine that if there are grains of pure iron in any appreciable quantity in those boxes, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen
I mean, it's crazy. I can't wrap my head around it. It sounds like what alternative medicine quacks would do.
 
I imagine very small particles would still be harmful, then?
@M.A.R. Yeah it also sounded like that to me.
Horribly naïve.
 
5:54 AM
@Cerberus if they're pure iron, yes
 
Maybe they are not?
But they are apparently still magnetically extractable.
 
If it's some iron salt, then at the very least, it can cause intestinal inflammation, like normal Fe supplements (ferrous sulfate)
 
How to exact the iron particles at home.
I can't imagine this being allowed in Europe.
 
Because most of it isn't absorbed and stays there. Generally, absorbing ions is an expensive and difficult process for the body.
 
But, if it is harmful, I can't imagine its being allowed anywhere.
@M.A.R. Interesting.
 
5:57 AM
And it will only happen in very specific parts of the small intestine
Besides, you need a lot of calcium, not iron. Women only need a bit more iron. And iron supplements will prevent calcium absorption.
 
That's not good.
I have heard of some people with iron deficiencies: vegetarians, maybe?
 
If a guy is diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, it's a cause for concern, it's not supposed to happen. You need a very small amount of iron, and it's always efficiently recycled. The only iron males lose on a regular basis is from the cells in their gastrointestinal tract that tear off
@Cerberus yep. Because our bodies are clumsy with iron, we can absorb the heme-bound iron in meat, but iron in plants is much harder to absorb.
 
OK.
 
If I'm not mistaken males lose 2 mg of iron every day only.
 
Hmm.
No idea whether that is little or much.
 
6:08 AM
@Cerberus A single pill of the oldest iron supplement has 60 mg iron
If you get none from food.
The total amount of iron in the body in males is 4000 mg
So yeah, a very small number. Easily corrected by food. And the body absorbs less iron the more it has.
 
Ok noted.
And the 4000 will be fully available when and where needed?
 
@Cerberus yep, unless the person has thalassemia, or something happens that a lot of red blood cells rupture (sickle cell anemia, some toxins or drugs), or some other rare iron transport defects
 
6:37 AM
@M.A.R. Ok good to know.
 
7:08 AM
@alphabet Bread making has many steps and takes time?
Also many ingredients needed.
 
 
2 hours later…
9:10 AM
Word of the day: amelia -- the birth defect of lacking one or more limbs
 
9:20 AM
Etymology of the day: trocar -- French trocart, trois-quarts (three-fourths), from trois 'three' and carre 'side, face of an instrument',[4][5] first recorded in the Dictionnaire des Arts et des Sciences, 1694,[6] by Thomas Corneille, younger brother of Pierre Corneille.
I don't get it, frankly.
Probably early trocars were not cylindrica but triangular.
 
10:18 AM
I started a new article in Wikipedia:
Mild non-BH4-deficient hyperphenylalaninemia (HPANBH4) is a rare metabolic disorder characterized by mild hyperphenylalaninemia (HPA) and a range of variable neurologic symptoms, including movement abnormalities and intellectual impairment. HPANBH4 has an autosomal-recessive pattern of inheritance. == Causes == The disorder is caused by homozygous and compound heterozygous mutations in the DNAJC12 gene, which encodes a molecular chaperone belonging to the DnaJ/HSP40 family of proteins. == History == Mild non-BH4-deficient hyperphenylalaninemia was first reported in 6 patients from 4 unrelated...
It sometimes presents as autism or as a developmental disorder with minimal movement symptoms, making it hard to diagnose, because sometimes phenylalanine is not elevated right after birth.
I cannot mention this in the article, because thus far it's only disparate one-off case reports.
It's better to base an article on secondary sources.
 
 
2 hours later…
12:36 PM
#Worldle #492 2/6 (100%)
🟩🟩🟩🟨⬜↘️
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
⭐⭐
https://worldle.teuteuf.fr
Not my best day.
🌎 May 28, 2023 🌍
🔥 16 | Avg. Guesses: 4.55
🟨🟥🟥🟩 = 4

globle-game.com
#globle
Wordle 708 4/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟩⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Daily Quordle 489
7️⃣8️⃣
6️⃣5️⃣
m-w.com/games/quordle
Daily Sequence Octordle #489
4️⃣5️⃣
6️⃣7️⃣
9️⃣🔟
🕛🕐
Score: 66
 
1:44 PM
> US congressional committee recommends NATO Plus status for India
New Asian Treaty Organization
 
@M.A.R. Sometimes -you- have to be the one that leaves
 
2:31 PM
 
2:58 PM
But then the algebra teacher foiled his plan.
 
In secondary school, FOIL is a mnemonic for the standard method of multiplying two binomials—hence the method may be referred to as the FOIL method. The word FOIL is an acronym for the four terms of the product: First ("first" terms of each binomial are multiplied together) Outer ("outside" terms are multiplied—that is, the first term of the first binomial and the second term of the second) Inner ("inside" terms are multiplied—second term of the first binomial and first term of the second) Last ("last" terms of each binomial are multiplied)The general form is (...
 
Wordle 708 4/6

🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Daily Quordle 489
9️⃣5️⃣
8️⃣6️⃣
m-w.com/games/quordle
Daily Octordle #489
🕚6️⃣
5️⃣7️⃣
8️⃣9️⃣
🔟4️⃣
Score: 60
La palabra del día #507 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟩
⬜🟩🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

https://lapalabradeldia.com/
Le Mot (@WordleFR) #504 4/6

⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

https://wordle.louan.me
 
3:28 PM
> La cantante del conjunto “Sorry Not Sorry” ha sido abierta sobre su batalla contra un trastorno alimentario desde que era una niña, explicando la miseria que sufrió al privarse debido a locas dietas de mierda que le hizo tanto daño, celebrando su imagen y orgullosa de poseer un cuerpo que tanto ha luchado.
So, if I don't understand what she meant there by celebrando su imagen, should I be asking on the Spanish SE site? Apparently so!
-1
Q: What does 'celebrating her image' means (in this sentence below)?

Zaskias The 'Sorry Not Sorry' singer has been open with her battle with an eating disorder since she was a young child, and also explained the 'misery' she experienced depriving herself on 'some crazy diet sh**', celebrating her image and being 'proud to own a body that has fought through so much.

Not an English question. Not a Spanish question. Just a get-a-clue question.
A question for duh.stackexchange.com, I wager.
How is that not everybody knows how in ancient times the English peasants would hold wild dances circling wood carvings of their own naked bodies going up in flames at midnight of Midsummer's Day eve?
Apparently the natives of Antarctica were never schooled in these dark rites, which leaves them unmoved when the windy Zeitgeist comes a a-blowin’.
Probably has something to do with how dark it is in Antarctica during the English pastoralists’ Midsummer’s Day. Not to mention the paucity of wood in those nether regions.
 
3:44 PM
A pistol that takes a 12.7 mm cartridge.
 
Just another take on Cinderella. I can't believe the Antarcticans’ schools forgot to teach it. What good is a tuxedo if the fish you're chasing won't dance?
Maybe they're shunning it because of the graven-images commandment?
No place to stick burning candles on the image of a birthday cake.
Or maybe somebody burned down the South Pole's May Pole?
No dancing allowed.
@CowperKettle Recoil.
 
> Sweet sounds, oh, beautiful music, do not cease!
Reject me not into the world again.
With you alone is excellence and peace,
Mankind made plausible, his purpose plain.
@tchrist Yes, it was made just for fun
I just came across a rant by a Z-military blogger against Shoigu and the Russian MoD for their wrong (in his view) choice of a caliber for Russian sniper rifles, so I looked up.
 
@CowperKettle It's a half-inch caliber.
 
Basically he believes that 8.6 × 64 mm would have been the better choice, but the damn Shoigu picked a slightly smaller, 7.62 mm
 
Like how lenses with a 300mm focal length used to be called 12-inch lenses.
@CowperKettle So, a rant about 8.6 vs 7.6?
 
3:55 PM
He writes that a properly-made round for 7.62 sniper rifles costs RUB 500.
@tchrist Yes (shrug)
I'm not an expert
 
People just want to complain.
Bitterly. And rile each other up.
 
He writes that Russian snipers by hook and by crook try to obtain 8.6 mm rifles and rounds.
He writes that the rounds provided by the Russian industry have a high error margin
And a proper round costs you RUB 500.
 
I wonder how sloppy error margins impact rifled barrels.
 
He writes that sniper rifles for 12.7 mm rounds are too heavy to carry along.
And they were invented in the 1920s to shoot at light tanks, anyway (in his words)
 
By rifled I mean how the barrels have spiral grooves graven inside them to impart a stabilizing spin on the bullet as it blasts out the muzzle.
 
3:59 PM
Yes, I know.
Rifling makes for good precision.
 
I know nothing of firearms. I would have thought you had to match the ammunition to the barrel like a key in a lock.
 
I just decided to take a look at their size and use
12.7 were used by the USA to shoot from helicopters.
 
So I would be surprised to learn that you can use bullets of various different widths in the same rifle.
Main battle tanks were invented during the First World War.
I wonder whether they're really spiral grooves or really helical grooves.
Like whether they're an extended Slinky™ toy.
Is it a continuous bore from stem to stern? Or is it repeated spirals, unconnected to each other?
Wow, stem to stern sure has bad keming in this typeface.
 
I should think connected.
Otherwise a bullet might hit the "butt" of the beginning of the next spiral at high speed?
Dulled though it may be.
 
Then I think that's a helix not a spiral. A spiral is flat, a two-dimensional construction of ever-increasing radius. A helix is a three-dimensional thing with constant radius.
OED blames the Dutch for this.
> Origin: Of multiple origins. Partly either (i) a borrowing from French. Or (ii) a borrowing from Dutch. Partly formed within English, by conversion. Etymons: French rifler ; Dutch rijfelen ; rifle n.3

Etymology: In sense 1 either < French rifler to scratch, scrape (see rifle v.1), or < Dutch rijfelen to rub, to scrape, to scratch (1599 as †rijffelen ) or Middle Low German rīfeln , riffeln (of metal objects) to mill, to cut grooves in (a1559), frequentative formations (see -le suffix) < Middle Dutch rīven (Dutch rijven ), Middle Low German rīven to rasp (see rive v.3); compare also Germ
> 1. a. transitive. To cut spiral grooves in (the barrel or bore of a gun or cannon).

Spiral grooves are used in the bore in order to impart a spin to the projectile, which stabilizes the trajectory through the air by a gyroscopic action.
 
4:09 PM
@CowperKettle 😆
 
I bet most people make no distinction between a spiral and a helix.
 
And between a bog and a fen.
 
If you're a trucker driving on a spiral, you have to keep turning the steering wheel because the angle of the curve changes as you progress through it. But if you're driving along a helix you can keep the steering wheel at the same spot because the angle is constant throughout the helix.
 
There's a somewhat related problem in Ukraine. Soviet systems use 152mm or 122mm artillery ammunition, but NATO uses 155mm. Since Ukraine mostly has Soviet systems, NATO generally can't give them ammunition that works with their existing weapons.
This is part of why the West needs to ship so much new artillery--Ukraine has artillery already, but we can't make new ammunition to support it.
 
googles Turkey Election
I almost forgot about it.
 
4:12 PM
@alphabet Ahah!
We have these big warning signs on Interstate highways that say something like "WARNING TRUCKERS: Curves tighten ahead!"
 
@CowperKettle Yes, the etymology is trois carres (three edges), not to be confused with either trois carrés (three squares) or trois quarts (three quarts). The word carre is now very specialized in French. I only use it when talking about skis (les carres des skis = the ski edges). What is (or used to be) triangular in a trocar is the cutting part of it, not the enclosure.
 
This is something of a problem across the entire army. A big part of NATO's power comes from the standardization of processes and equipment between member countries; this allows NATO countries to coordinate much more effectively with each other than with nonmember countries.
 
So they're alert to realizing that they have to turn the wheel several times along the curve.
@alphabet Do Finland and Sweden already use NATO-standard values there?
 
@tchrist Not quite sure. As I recall, Ukraine was in the first stages of the process of adopting NATO standards when the invasion began.
 
@jlliagre Ah!
 
4:17 PM
NATO even unifies the military rank systems of member countries, so that you know if (say) an American officer of rank X outranks a French officer of rank Y.
 
@jlliagre This is why the question "How many quarts in a gallon?" contains its own answer.
@alphabet Navy captains far outrank Army captains. :)
 
@tchrist Combien de cents dans un dollar ? :-)
 
Coordinating logistics is extremely important; 2/3rds of a war is just a giant shipping operation intended to get the right supplies to the right places at the right times.
 
@CowperKettle The answer needs to be expressed in French!
 
4:25 PM
La pièce de huit (ou de 8) — appelée piastre espagnole en français, real de a ocho ou peso en espagnol, spanish dollar par les Américains, piastre ou spanish crown par les Britanniques —, est une pièce de monnaie en argent d'approximativement 39 mm de diamètre, d'une valeur de huit réaux, qui a été frappée par l'Empire espagnol, après 1598, afin de s'aligner sur le thaler, la monnaie continentale du Saint-Empire, lié aux Habsbourg qui régnaient alors sur un vaste territoire. Elle valait 272 maravédis, mais en 1642, elle est réévaluée à 340 maravédis. La pièce de huit a été largement utilisée par...
 
Part of Russia's initial failure in Ukraine came down to corruption; it's hard to get the right supplies in place if everyone's siphoning off a bit for themselves.
 
I wonder why they aren't afraid of being fallen out of window when they do corruption.
 
@alphabet And Putin did not understand this?
 
Or is it that when you see a lot of money you see nothing else?
 
Meaning, he didn't know that his commanders were fleecing their own nests instead of keeping the Russian Army fit to fight?
 
4:30 PM
He hoped for a wave of enthusiasm after an easy victory.
 
@CowperKettle Il y a cent cents dans une piastre.
 
What happened to the people who had been telling him it would be an easy victory?
 
I don't know.
Maybe they were his imaginary friends?
Hallucinations?
 
@jlliagre Silver platters sounds like something you'd serve a fancy dinner on. :)
 
4:36 PM
Absolute monarchs have absolutely no friends. They can't.
 
You'll recall that American analysts also predicted a quick, easy victory for Russia; they thought Ukraine would surrender within days
 
Maybe they are in cahoots with Putin.
 
@CowperKettle Trump appointees. :)
 
Like in Vonnegut's book, where Bokonon was in cahoots with the dictator.
Each played his role
 
4:42 PM
@tchrist Platos de plata!
 
> Vladimir V. Putin of Russia looks like a commander in absentia, treating the war in Ukraine as unfortunate but distant.
@tchrist Isn't this the truth?
 
Maybe there is no war. It's all AI-generated by Russian and Ukrainian hackers, to wheedle billions of $ out of Europe and the USA.
 
The war is unfortunate and distant.
 
After which the hackers will vanish.
 
@jlliagre The Cajuns’ piasse sounds like the punchline of young teenager's joke.
 
4:45 PM
@CowperKettle Or generated by China: cui bono?
 
Chinese hackers generated the fake virus (COVID), and so Russian and Ukrainian hackers became envious and decided to team up to generate a fake war.
 
@tchrist Une liasse de piasses
 
Chinese hackers have already fled with their money. They bought the entire island of Madagaskar and are living there.
It's all a stage in an ongoing hacker championship.
 
So Madagaskar went from Jews to Chinese.
 
Yes. Jews bought a fleet of Musk's rockets and moved to the far side of the Moon.
 
4:50 PM
Smart.
 
Those currently in Israel are human-looking robots.
 
So complicated.
 
@Cerberus True in what regard? I doubt that he simultaneously views the same issue as both distant and an existential threat at the same time, given how the prospect of one's existential end “concentrates the mind wonderfully” as Samuel Johnson put it.
 
They trained on birds first.
Birds Aren't Real is a satirical conspiracy theory which posits that birds are actually drones operated by the United States government to spy on American citizens. In 2018, journalist Rachel Roberts described Birds Aren't Real as "a joke that thousands of people are in on." == Background == Peter McIndoe created the satirical conspiracy theory "on a whim" in January 2017. After seeing pro-Trump counter-protestors at the 2017 Women's March in Memphis, Tennessee, McIndoe wrote "Birds Aren't Real" on a poster and improvised a conspiracy theory amongst the counter-protestors as a "spontaneous joke...
 
@tchrist He may tell himself that it's 'existential', but I think he uses a different definition of that. At the same time, the war is distant and doesn't affect the daily lives of most Russians that much.
 
4:53 PM
Certainly he wants them not to think about it.
At least, not negatively.
For that is the thing that would reflect negatively upon him. Hence its current illegality if given voice.
@CowperKettle But this is true. There is no such thing as a bird. They're all just flying dinosaurs.
 
Yeah.
 
Except for ratites, which are non-flying dinosaurs.
 
So I think "unfortunate but distant" is not entirely unrealistic, from Moscow's point of view.
Like the war in Vietnam for the Americans.
 
That's why Moscow boys don't get press-ganged.
 
Indeed.
Draco is a genus of agamid lizards that are also known as flying lizards, flying dragons or gliding lizards. These lizards are capable of gliding flight via membranes that may be extended to create wings (patagia), formed by an enlarged set of ribs. They are arboreal insectivores. While not capable of powered flight they often obtain lift in the course of their gliding flights. Glides as long as 60 m (200 ft) have been recorded, over which the animal loses only 10 m (33 ft) in height, which is quite some distance, considering that one lizard is only around 20 cm (7.9 in) in total length, tail...
It's interesting how quickly tanks rust.
 
5:02 PM
Because they were made for the Afghan desert wars, where it never rains. :)
 
Ho indovinato questa parola italiana di 5 lettere in 5/6 tentativi.

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟨🟩
🟨🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Riesci a indovinare questa parola?
https://wordlegame.org/it?challenge=ZmlybWE
 
@jlliagre Retrome, o tempter: I have to Sunday-shop for victuals.
 
> Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has congratulated Erdogan “on his unquestionable election victory!”
 
@tchrist Also interesting.
> A recent report from a group of Russian sociologists, based on scores of in-depth interviews, argues that Russians see the war as “a natural disaster” they cannot do anything about, rather than as something they are firmly convinced is right.
This also makes sense.
 
@Cerberus Related.
> What this apathy towards politics means is that people have more of a silent acquiescence towards the invasion, rather than actively supporting it.

“In Russia … many people… say something like, okay, to be honest, we hate any wars, including this one, but we also don't like those in power very much and we don't understand them,” he told participants at the Open Democracy event.

Viewing themselves as “too incompetent” and “unable to understand politics”, he claims ordinary people hope their seemingly more enlightened leaders have grounds to start the war, believing it is “impossible to s
> At the same time, Zhuravlev claims there is “a moral sensitivity” towards violence that can put people in a bind. “They cannot enthusiastically support the war because it is immoral,” he explained. “[Yet] they cannot become strong opponents… because it is too politicised.” ... “That is why they often develop an argument that this war was inevitable. They think of it as a natural disaster.”
 
5:18 PM
@tchrist Yes, exactly.
Having political opinions has been 'discouraged' in Russia since...forever.
 
That is what happens when occidental caesars hybridize with oriental khans.
 
 
2 hours later…
7:49 PM
@CowperKettle thank you so much for using the reasonable 'far side of the moon's rather than the jejune and hallucinatory 'dark side'
I think I mean both those words, but take them for what you will. I couldn't think of better ones.
 
The Dark Side of the Moon is the eighth studio album by the English rock band Pink Floyd, released on 1 March 1973 by Harvest Records. Developed during live performances before recording began, it was conceived as a concept album that would focus on the pressures faced by the band during their arduous lifestyle, and also deal with the mental health problems of former band member Syd Barrett, who departed the group in 1968. New material was recorded in two sessions in 1972 and 1973 at EMI Studios (now Abbey Road Studios) in London. The record builds on ideas explored in Pink Floyd's earlier recordings...
 
8:13 PM
@jlliagre Who didn't know that?
Mitch? Was it @Mitch?
 
8:29 PM
@Robusto I don't know who didn't know, if any. It was @whoeverReadIt, not anyone in particular.
cachée, achterkant, nascosta, oculta, Обратная...
 
9:18 PM
@Mitch It's called the dark side because they're down to some shady business there
 
9:36 PM
The sad mark of the doom.
 
9:46 PM
The fruit of the loom?
 
The flute of the room.
 
 
1 hour later…
10:55 PM
@jlliagre the elephant in the room
@Laurel the red-headed step-child
 

« first day (4581 days earlier)      last day (381 days later) »