« first day (745 days earlier)      last day (1956 days later) » 

1:01 PM
Got a programming class now. See you later.
 
@kleinfreund &myVar
 
I suggest that you ask your question here : codereview.stackexchange.comChostakovitch just now
I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it better belongs on codereview.stackexchange.comDavid Arno just now
@DavidArno et al, i do not think this questions is for codereview as it is about optimisation hints and not about code correctness etc,, it is relevant here as well — Nikos M. 58 secs ago
 
@Mast sometimes yes ;)
 
@NikosM. From the Code Review doc, « If you are looking for feedback on a specific working piece of code from your project in the following areas… [...] Performance [...] then you are in the right place! » — Chostakovitch 47 secs ago
@NikosM.: code review deals with inefficient code as well... — CommuSoft 54 secs ago
 
The problem on SE is that each person is intelligent but a group of persons become stupid.
This is with downvoting also. Once you see -2 the "pack" will downvote even without reading the question/answer
 
1:16 PM
0
Q: Temporary file utility class in Python

CaridorcI decided to write a tiny class to automatically write and delete a file given filename and content. It is intended to make testing IO less verbose. I include a small example usage. temporary.py import os class Temporary: def __init__(self, name, content): self.name = name ...

 
And the best is, I catch sometimes myself doing that, even with all the effort I don't want to do it
 
1:29 PM
@kleinfreund Logs might help
That's how I found out last time I broke my videocard when I upgraded my distro from 14.04 LTS to 15.04
 
@SimonAndréForsberg I have been chasing it for some time now, and I couldn't get ahead of it, so I just broke it!
 
@rolfl You're aware the following is still locked for being disputed?
2
Q: Checking if 3 numbers are an arithmetic progression

coze Mod note: This question is being discussed on meta I tried to create a method, that given 3 int numbers and a bool returns true if they are in strict increasing order (by the same amount) like (1, 2, 3), (3, 7, 11) or (0, 4, 8). Except if equalOk is set to true, then equality of two adjacent...

I don't disagree with the lock, but the message seems temporary. Shouldn't it either be made final or be nulled?
 
Yikes, that debate is still going?
 
maybe the codereview site might be a better place for this? — Carsten König 15 secs ago
 
Semi-finished my paper on price indices in 3 hours from reading up to handing in. Now it's time to get ready for tutoring and other stuff across the country
I don't like high pressure days
 
1:41 PM
0
Q: Minimum Value evenly divisible by all integers from 1 to n

WaqasI have just started learning python and I am solving Project Euler problems alongside for practice. This is my solution for problem 5. Project Euler asks for the minimum value divisible by all numbers from 1 to 20 but I have made the program so it works from 1 to n. I think there is a lot of roo...

0
Q: Resource caching in Java with soft references

Olivier GrégoireI'd like to cache some heavy resources locally. I've developped the following code: Resource.java import com.google.common.io.ByteSource; import java.io.UncheckedIOException; import java.lang.ref.SoftReference; import java.util.function.Supplier; public class Resource<T> implements Supplier<T>...

0
Q: Assigning sentiment to each tweet

overexchangeBelow assignment is taken from here. Phase 1: The Feelings in Tweets In this phase, you will create an abstract data type for tweets, split the text of a tweet into words, and calculate the amount of positive or negative feeling in a tweet. Tweets First, you will implement an abstract ...

 
There is how I tested it, my Any class and how accurate I think it is. codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/88772/…Mango 45 secs ago
 
2:00 PM
@Mast Thanks
> Update: The question has now been unlocked. It remains closed. The Unlock is a 'probationary' act, if the situation remains in control, that's fine. If there are further problems with the question, then a permanent "historical" local may be applied.
 
I have no idea why I decided to sign up for careers.SO...
Oh well, at least it'll still be around (maybe) when I'm actually looking for a full-time job...
 
^ that..
 
0
Q: A hint on improving this algorithm's complexity

keewnnI'm currently working on improving the following algorithm (Yes, it is a school assignment). It's not going as well as I had expected though. Here's the pseudocode for the algorithm (dumbest way): algorithm(long p, long q, long s, long m, long x): a[0] = s; i = 0; while(true): ...

 
This should be on codereview.SE. — Sebastian Redl 16 secs ago
 
0
Q: Generating classes from enum

Benjy KesslerI have a system that receives messages. Each message has a type defined. These types are declared in an enum: enum MessageType { TYPE1, TYPE2, ... , TYPE999 } People can extend my system by implementing message processors. Each message type can only have one processor and most will have none...

 
2:25 PM
This site is for code that has problems. For code review, check out codereview.stackexchange.comMark Leiber 15 secs ago
 
2:39 PM
@Daan, they deleted my answer that they didn't agree with, which I've never seen happen on a Meta site. You're right that they didn't use a correct close reason, but looks like they don't really want to fix the situation (which is pretty easy). Anyway, as someone who has been around Stack Exchange from the beginning, this is obviously an elitist site that doesn't allow dissension. Good Luck on your quest for better code. — Lance Roberts 6 mins ago
I agree in part with Lance: I see absolutely no reason for why his answer was deleted.
@Phrancis @Vogel612 @RubberDuck ^^
I don't think answers that you disagree with should be deleted. Non-answers and similar should be deleted.
 
@SimonAndréForsberg this is why I voted to delete it.
> You should flag a mod, though I don't know that site well enough to know how responsive they are. I've also flagged them.
It was irrelevant and confusing after the migration.
You're, of course, free to disagree with me and vote to un-delete it.
 
Then how about making an edit? Or a comment suggesting that he should edit it?
I have voted to undelete already.
 
You're probably right.
An edit could have been more appropriate.
 
I think deleting that answer does more harm than good.
 
Honestly, I'm human, and he irritated me to no end, so I might have been quick to simply remove it rather than improve it.
 
2:42 PM
in this case, "though I don't know that site well enough to know how responsive they are" could just have been stripped out completely.
@RubberDuck You're forgiven. I'm also human.
Although I would definitely not trust @Duga with these issues...
 
Duga == Skynet
 
ehh??
 
The migration issue did certainly make things a bit more complicated. As it currently stands, the answers by @nhgrif and @Mat'sMug are not really helpful. They don't say much about why the question was off-topic in the first place, and now the question is on our meta with the 'specific-question' tag.
 
that answer was IMO borderline defamatory
 
I edited the question and voted to undelete. meta.codereview.stackexchange.com/a/5349/41243
That ^
 
2:45 PM
Baseless accusations and almost open hostility against the community??
I don't want such an answer on meta
and there already was a lot of back and forth in the comments
it seemed to me that Ducky already had addressed these points
 
I don't see what is "baseless accusations" and "open hostility" in the answer?
 
0
Q: Node.js Paging with Mongodb

kamerrerI want to create variable paging on Node.js with MongoDB. I use Mongojs. On client side create a request api\logs?&limit=val1&page=val2&sort=val3&order=val4&field1=val5&field2=val6 where limit, page - paging sort, order,sort - sorting (sort - field. "title","age" & etc) field1, filed2 ....

0
Q: Php Refactor into function?

iamgraemeI would like to clean up my php file so am looking for ways to refactor this into a php function that I can put into my helper file. <?php $class = ''; $message = ''; if ($_product->getSpecialPrice() !== NULL && $_product->getPrice() > $_product->getSpecialPrice()) { $class = 'on-sale'; $mess...

0
Q: Virtual host, apache2, mod_rewrite

YannI wrote this piece of code some months ago. Now, before touching it again, I would ask you if it can be improved. <VirtualHost *:80> ServerName mydomain.fr DocumentRoot /var/www/odoo </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost *:80> ServerName www.mydomain.fr RedirectPermanent / http://mydomain...

 
> the close reason they use is wrong.
 
@LanceRoberts your question wasn't deleted because we didn't like your answer. It was deleted because a good chunk of it didn't make sense after migration. I have edited your answer and cast an undelete vote, as of right now, it needs one more to undelete it. — RubberDuck 1 min ago
 
> I don't know that site well enough to know how responsive they are
 
2:47 PM
I don't like this jackass.
4
At all.
 
> The code obviously works
> Nothing in the close reason used is relevant here.
 
Undelete it and let the downvotes show that it is not a representative answer.
 
that's not anything I want to see as an answer on any meta site
and it's hostile towards the users that closed the question
 
> this is obviously an elitist site that doesn't allow dissension. Good Luck on your quest for better code.
 
@Mat'sMug that's the comment, but yea
It's a simple chain of baseless opinions dressed up as facts
that are overly aggressive against what happened
 
2:49 PM
@Vogel612 I don't find anything of that hostile. Do I agree with it? No. But that really doesn't make it hostile.
 
@SimonAndréForsberg I'm sorry, but my answer's point addresses OP's whining about the alleged pink elephants in the close reasons.
 
@Mat'sMug Deleting such an answer does make us seen more as 'elitist', I'd expect. All SE sites are probably seen as elitist every now and then though, nothing new there.
 
Pink elephants?
 
I didn't vote to delete that answer. and I voted to undelete it. although I happily downvoted it, and would downvote it again and again and every minute of the day if I could.
 
@SimonAndréForsberg If we're seen as elitist for deleting junk like that, then so be it.
2
 
2:51 PM
@Mat'sMug that part of your answer was good, yes.
 
4 mins ago, by RubberDuck
Undelete it and let the downvotes show that it is not a representative answer.
 
@SimonAndréForsberg what's the story there?
 
In mine eye's if you don't understand the code, how the hell could you created it?
 
0
Q: Newbie needing help refactoring my script

MuertesI'm rather new to programming and I'm quite sure this code will look ugly to most on this site. That is why I'm here. I'm betting that many of you have awesome tips for a newbie on how to clean up this code and/or make it more efficient. Keep in mind I am a seriously new programmer and if it is ...

 
3:02 PM
@chillworld copy/pasta
Google >> copy >> paste >> test >> edit >> test >> works!
 
@RubberDuck indeed, but still you should have a problem what you are trying to solve
 
@LanceRoberts yes, and Stack Overflow is such an elitist site that doesn't allow dissenssion when it comes to asking off-topic questions, too. — Mat's Mug 5 secs ago
 
and the code solves your problem no?
 
Missing some more drama here?
 
nah, I'm done
 
3:04 PM
(anything I need to be aware of?)
 
not really ;)
 
@SimonAndréForsberg I felt that the answer was condescending sounding on MSE, so I'll admit to being human as well. The migration made it I felt, mostly irrelevant at that point. But perhaps indeed downvotes are more à-propos.
 
Hello again.
 
Hi!
 
I'm nice, maybe we should change Questions seeking an explanation of someone else's code are also off-topic.". to Questions seeking an explanation of code are also off-topic.". so in that point the OP is correct — chillworld 34 secs ago
^^
 
3:07 PM
Ohhhh.... flags on meta.cr ... .Christmas ;-)
 
typhoon @rolfl will clear them ;)
TTGH
 
@RubberDuck, why don't you just get that close reason to be a generic "can't ask for explanations" instead of tying it to someone else's code? Personally, I don't understand why it would be egregious to ask for an explanation, but I guess this is an experts only site. — Lance Roberts 3 mins ago
It's been discussed before. I don't agree with the outcome, but it has been discussed before. I think now is a good opportunity to revisit that decision. meta.codereview.stackexchange.com/q/2371/41243RubberDuck 28 secs ago
 
@chillworld I like that a lot. I guess it shouldn't matter if it's your own code or someone else's, if you're looking for an explanation it's still off-topic
 
That ^
 
I could have written some code a year or two ago, poorly or not documented at all, and go back to it today and not understand it
 
3:14 PM
What we need is a 4th close reason, but we can't do that right now.
 
@RubberDuck Short version: Lance didn't like that anonymous users could suggest edits. Lance posted a bounty to MSE request. I posted answer. Lance didn't agree with my answer. I ended up getting the bounty anyway.
 
Constraint of the system still being a gd beta.
 
@Mat'sMug nice Answer in Meta
hard to get reviews in Meta
 
0
Q: Parsing a file in Java

yadav_viI am trying to parse InputEvent's of an Android device. Background: For an android device we have a utility getevent which gives all the touch events that are sent to a device. getevent -l gives all the input events to the device. Every event has 3 fields - EVENT_TYPE, EVENT_COD...

 
@RubberDuck we'll even have a 5th one. In due time.
 
3:19 PM
I rejected that job offer because it was so low, and the recruiter said they would talk to the company about the salary, but I haven't heard anything back, so I doubt I will hear anything from them. should I contact the company contact that interviewed me without going through the recruiter?
 
Checking out the Cardshifter repository when suddenly a wild porn.xml appears.
3
 
@Lyle'sMug got anything to lose?
 
Mod Note - Comments were getting off-topic, and messy. I have purged most of them. If you have an opinion on this discussion then formulate a clear answer, and post it as an answer, not a comment. If you like, or dislike an answer, then express your sentiment using the votes button. Comments are not for discussions, despite this being the meta site. — rolfl ♦ 19 secs ago
 
@RubberDuck should I wait a day or two to hear back from the Recruiter, or go over their head right away? I know they are going to take their cut first.
I don't want to burn my Bridge
 
How long's it been?
 
3:22 PM
@RubberDuck the interview was last wednesday, and I rejected the last offer yesterday morning. so it's been about 24 hours without a reply
 
Patience, paddawan
5
You got an offer?
Congrats.
Going over the recruiter's head will make enemies of some, and no friends with anyone.
 
@rolfl thank you wise monkey
 
The company will see you as being impatient, and thy use the recruiters for a reason. The company will be put in an uncomfortable position of telling you to pee-off, because they are probably obliged to use the recruiter for contractual reasons (i.e. the recruiter and company probably signed an agreement that prohibits the company from dealing direct with you).
 
Yeah. It's only been 24 hours. Give it some more time.
 
It will also just royally pee-off the recruiter, and they will make you suffer as a result.
 
3:27 PM
Should this tag apply to dices exclusively or rather all kinds of game of chance simulation, such as tossing coins, spinning wheels or even mixing cards? Maybe the tag description could say something about this? — 5gon12eder 2 mins ago
 
@kleinfreund those files are very popular in Java repositories. Especially in Maven projects.
 
@RubberDuck
in VBA, 34 secs ago, by Mat's Mug
> Clippy pops up and says "It looks like you are implementing an interface..."
 
I noticed that it wasn't actually named porn. Still, perception!
 
@rolfl that is what I was thinking.
I can wait. so I will
 
3:41 PM
Back to learning more MVC
 
@Phrancis indeed, mine opinion also. How can you add the "What does the code" if you don't know what it does
 
0
Q: getting a logger thread safe

BennXI am writing a logger for a project. At this point i would like to mention that i know that there are alot logger out there but i would love to have my own implementation to know the implementation. I hope that i am right here with this question. #pragma once #include <fstream> #include <map> #i...

0
Q: Method Inserting new Node in a Binary Search Tree

nashmaniacpublic void insertNode(Node<Integer> currentParent, Node<Integer> newNode) { if (newNode.getNodeData() < currentParent.getNodeData()) { if(currentParent.getLeftChild() == null) currentParent.setLeftChild(newNode); else insertNode(currentParent.getLeftCh...

 
3:57 PM
@rolfl cc
I consider this answer extremely disrespectful towards the codereview community as a whole. This was one of the reasons, when voting to delete this initially. After the edit it's better. Overall this answer is not a discussion, but a biased dump of opinions dressed up as facts. As such it's (IMO) not an answer suited for any meta site. Meta answers are supposed to explain opinions and give specific facts. This means aside from being rude, it's also a low-quality answer. For now I will refrain from voting to delete, hoping you improve that answer to explain why you think that way. — Vogel612 19 secs ago
 
Just deleted it.
(the comment, that is).
 
hm??
 
Meta answers to questions tagged "discussion" can be all sorts of things.
 
still too... inflammatory?
 
and that ^^^
 
3:58 PM
dammit...
I'll try again sometime later...
or maybe I won't..
 
Mod Note - Comments were getting off-topic, and messy. I have purged most of them. If you have an opinion on this discussion then formulate a clear answer, and post it as an answer, not a comment. If you like, or dislike an answer, then express your sentiment using the votes button. Comments are not for discussions, despite this being the meta site. — rolfl ♦ 40 mins ago
If you have an opinion on the subject, then formulate your opinion as an answer, and post it. Critiquing other answers (as your own answer, or as comments on their answers), will not likely work out very well.
Essentially there's nowhere on the site where it's a good place to "try to convince someone" that they are wrong.
just disagree politely, and move on.
 
What do you want me to do?  LEAVE?  Then they'll keep being wrong!
5
somewhat obligatory...
 
@rolfl meh.. chat doesn't count eh?
also this is not about "they're wrong"
 
Chat counts......
 
it's about "they're being an uninformed jerk, and they should know it"
 
4:05 PM
in the sense that you can convince people in chat... but please, not in this chat.
@Vogel612 It's more about "this is a question that's been migrated around the place, and they probably have some past experience on some ther site, and it's relevant".
in fairness, I think his answer has merits....
 
@chux: I shouldn't do code reviews while I should still be asleep. I removed my throwaway comment on your code by removing my old comment and rewriting it (not quite verbatim). Your code is OK. This comment can be flagged obsolete once you've removed yours (which I don't think serves a useful purpose any more). — Jonathan Leffler just now
 
I would love a dedicated close reason for it.
But, we have to compomise.
 
eh well it's TTQW and I got stuff to do later today..
I don't see any merits in that answer
 
We've had that discussion a few times about the 'canned' close reasons.
we need more.
 
^^ that
 
4:08 PM
(we need to graduate.... ;-)
6
 
0
Q: Reading data from database, saving to new list and adding list to grid

Kala JI made some changes to how I was saving the data in order for it to show up on a kendo grid. Right now my giant method is dating database from the database (using getValue), then creating a new list to save both data onto the single list to populate the kendo grid with one list even though they a...

 
That ^^
 
I have the feeling it still won't be enough close reasons to satisfy that "it's got to fit 100% to this very post"
but alas, I digress
cya around ;)
 
Never will be. That's why custom close reasons are always an option.
 
that ^^^
 
4:14 PM
Facebook login for my Minesweeper Flags game hasn't been working for the past 18 days... Screw you, Facebook!!
20
Q: Get username field in Facebook Graph API 2.0

truegThe "old" Facebook Graph API had a "username" field which could be used to create a human-readable profile URL. My username for example is "sebastian.trug" which results in a Facebook profile URL http://www.facebook.com/sebastian.trug. With Graph API 2.0 Facebook has removed the "username" field...

> Hundreds of applications that rely on the username to create accounts on their service will be broken.
 
facedeskbook.com ?
 
@rolfl I think you are wrong here. everywhere on the internet people are trying to convince other people that they are wrong. that is the whole point of the internet. that is why the US Government created it, to keep people arguing among themselves so that they wouldn't fight the Government takeover.
 
^^ look at you trying to convince rolfl he's wrong
5
 
:) LOL (:
 
@Lyle'sMug theories, theories, theories...
> that is the whole point of the internet. that is why the US Government created it
I don't buy that.
 
4:21 PM
well the US Government did create it.
so it is partial truth
 
Shush, that's a secret of national importance
 
yes, but you can't possible be sure that that was the reason
 
Also, it largely depends on what you consider the internet to be, if you want to claim that the US government created it
 
The history of the Internet begins with the development of electronic computers in the 1950s. Initial concepts of packet networking originated in several computer science laboratories in the United States, Great Britain, and France. The US Department of Defense awarded contracts as early as the 1960s for packet network systems, including the development of the ARPANET (which would become the first network to use the Internet Protocol.) The first message was sent over the ARPANET from computer science Professor Leonard Kleinrock's laboratory at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) to the...
 
> ....in the United States, Great Britain, and France.
 
4:23 PM
which are just our puppets ... JK
 
> In the 1980s, the work of Tim Berners-Lee in the United Kingdom, on the World Wide Web, theorised the fact that protocols link hypertext documents into a working system
 
Meh... German government says 'Yes'
 
5 mins ago, by Lyle's Mug
@rolfl I think you are wrong here. everywhere on the internet people are trying to convince other people that they are wrong. that is the whole point of the internet. that is why the US Government created it, to keep people arguing among themselves so that they wouldn't fight the Government takeover.
I'm not going to try to convince you that you are wrong.... but ^^^^
 
@Vogel612 wouldn't they say "Ja"?
 
you are welcome to have those discussion,a dn education sessions, just not in questions and answers on meta, or main site, or comments anywhere.
 
4:28 PM
@Mat'sMug no they'll go on torturing every englishspeaker with their horrible accent
 
0
A: Should there be evidence for a provided reason when a question is put on hold?

RubberDuckI would like to answer this from the perspective of what I think should have happened, because you're right. The auto-reason that was used to put your question on hold was wrong. The reason reads: "Questions must involve real code that you own or maintain. Pseudocode, hypothetical code, or ...

TLDR version:
> In summary, we all messed up here. Every last single person who got involved in this mess screwed up. So let's move on and revisit the matter of adding a close reason for this when we have some place to put it. In the meantime, let's be more careful about making sure we use a custom closure reason whenever it's appropriate to do so.
 
> Even after we can add another 2 auto-reasons however, this problem will still not exist.
huh?
 
0
Q: Refactor long if statement in ruby without using case

neoI'm formatting price string with the following method: def price_formatter(price) return if price.nil? formatted = '$' if price.length > 8 || price.length == 6 price_separated = price.scan(/.{3}|.+/).join(',') elsif price.length == 8 price_separated = price....

 
> Every last single person who got involved in this mess screwed up
huh ^^^ ?
me too .... ?
;-)
 
@rolfl except maybe you.
Wise ol' monkey.
You're not that fast.
lol
2
 
4:37 PM
lol
2
 
cough cough.... I am sure I did mess up, I just got away with it, somehow.
 
Like I said... wise ol' monkey.
 
0
Q: Should we do away with "someone else's code" wording?

PhrancisThis has recently been brought up that we should improve this off-topic/close reason. While we can agree that this VTC reason is less than ideal (perhaps too broad, should be two separate reasons) right now in Beta we are limited to 3 pre-defined off-topic reasons. The full reason (emphasis ...

 
11
Q: Rewording close reason "Explanation of code"

PimgdInspired by this question: Custom Close Reason Post-Mortem. Can we alter Questions must involve real code that you own or maintain. Questions seeking an explanation of someone else's code are off-topic. Pseudocode, hypothetical code, or stub code should be replaced by a concrete example. T...

@Phrancis ^^^^
 
hm
 
4:45 PM
Yesterday I looked through that question/answer (my answer, accepted), and was debating whether I was wrong.
I am still not 100% settled, but I think I am right.
 
I think Simon's answer is the best one.
 
I think in light of today's mess it might be worth reconsidering?
 
and I'm the downvote on yours :)
 
@Phrancis I mentioned that to @Jamal and @200 yesterday too.....
As far as I can tell, it's a compromise required.
 
On an unrelatd note...
 
4:47 PM
The point of that close reason is to relate it back to the first sentence: Questions must involve real code that you own or maintain.
 
It won't hurt my feelings if it's closed as duplicate on Meta, I just want to see what happens since several of us seemed to express that sentiment today
 
I should really improve my stamina or cycle less fast
 
the rest of that is all about what constitutes real code that you own or maintain: Pseudocode, hypothetical code, or stub code should be replaced by a concrete example. Questions seeking an explanation of someone else's code are also off-topic
By making the last part include your own code tha tyou don't understand, then you no longer have sense in the first sentence.
My suggestion is, instead, to chage the "broken code" off-topic reason.....
 
Agreed, but until we're graduated, do we want to be stuck with a custom close reason for a fairly common issue?
 
> Questions containing broken code or asking for advice about code not yet written are off-topic, as the code is not ready for review. After the question has been edited to contain working code, we will consider reopening it
 
4:49 PM
Hmm... That might work.
 
That could be edited as follows:
> Questions containing broken code or asking for advice about code not yet written are off-topic, as the code is not ready for review. If you don't understand your own code, you cannot tell that it is working. After the question has been edited to contain working code, we will consider reopening it
 
0
Q: Semaphore with node and redis

kharandziukI'm learning node and redis. And created a semaphore for master/slaves. var redis = require("redis"), _ = require('underscore'), async = require('async'), client = redis.createClient(); var isMaster = false, SEMAPHORE_ADDRESS = 'semaphore'; var lifeCycle = function(next) { if(...

 
1
Q: Should we do away with "someone else's code" wording?

PhrancisThis has recently been brought up that we should improve this off-topic/close reason. While we can agree that this VTC reason is less than ideal (perhaps too broad, should be two separate reasons) right now in Beta we are limited to 3 pre-defined off-topic reasons. The full reason (emphasis ...

 
And there's Jamal ;-)
 
hi
 
4:55 PM
hi
 
hi
 
hi!
 
hi!
 
am I creating a ?
 
I believe the line would be..
 
4:57 PM
Now you just broke it ;)
6
 
> Did I miss the Hi!-fest?
 
Hi.
 
Hey.
 
Hey
 
Hey?
 
@Mat'sMug Do I have an answer there? Of course it is.
@rolfl I agree that that one could be reworded. However, it is a lot of information that can be put into that single close reason.
 
-1
Q: Quicksort implementation stackoverflow in java

SHUBHAM SHARMAimport java.util.*; public class Solution { static void printArray(int[] objects) { for(int n : objects){ System.out.print(n+" "); } System.out.println(""); } public static void main(String[] args) { Scanner in = new Scanner(Syst...

0
Q: (C++) console maze program

ishyfishyMy most recent project was a console based maze game and I wanted to get some feedback on it. Is there a better way to design my code? #include <iostream> using std::endl; using std::cout; using std::cin; #include <string> using std::string; #include<Windows.h> #include<conio.h> void welc...

 
@SimonAndréForsberg I am in three minds about this.... . ;-)
 
http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2015/05/19/data-wars/
CommitStrip - Blog relating the daily life of web agencies developers
Data Wars
CommitStrip
1432054926
 
Make that 4 minds.
1. it could be custom reason
2. close-not-working
3. closed-not-explaining
4. wait-for-grad
 
5:10 PM
You should use codereview.stackexchange.com for code review. — Alex Pan 57 secs ago
 
5:40 PM
2
Q: Formatting a price string

neoI'm formatting price string with the following method: def price_formatter(price) return if price.nil? formatted = '$' if price.length > 8 || price.length == 6 price_separated = price.scan(/.{3}|.+/).join(',') elsif price.length == 8 price_separated = price....

Why is it, that I read that title as: Formatting a piece of string
 
@Jamal, I edited my question with only working code sample: codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/91172/…
I just need advice on how to refactor
 
6:05 PM
What's your question? If you want a code review, check out codereview.stackexchange.com. Otherwise, you should explain your problem clearly. — Anubian Noob 21 secs ago
did you copy it from here? If so, did you read the comments? — Wimmel 21 secs ago
 
6:24 PM
@KalaJ I just voted to reopen. looks good. It's in the reopen queue now, shouldn't take too long.
 
0
Q: Practicing recursion with getElementsByClassName

tehbigdirtyI'm trying to get a good grasp on recursion by implementing document.getElementByClassName, I've made something that works but I'd like to know if there is some blatant refactoring that should be done or perhaps some not-so-edge cases that might break it. var getElementsByClassName = functio...

0
Q: AI for depth-first walking in a maze, with variable depth look ahead search for dead ends and finish point

Mr.WorshipMeThis code is a part of a little game I've started a week ago. It is too extensive to review at once, so I'm picking the most interesting and crucial parts. Start with the AI. It has public update function that gets called from the player model's evolve function and calls it's public setDirection...

0
Q: Java JSON Stringifier with the Nashorn API

DatagrammarI have written a Java JSON stringifier with the Nashorn API. Since this code is slow, I wanted to ask if I can improve it. My target is the highest possible performance to make it an alternative to other JSON libraries. Here is my code: JSON.java package com.example.json; import java.util.Map;...

 
cf. codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/78483/… (It may also be from a similar coding competition site - websearching for lonelyinteger brings lots of results). Obviously, lots of important information had not been given, e.g. the limits of the values of the integers. If they are only in 1...100 (as in the linked question), then this is fairly trivial. Otherwise (if their range is arbitrary, up to 2^32), one might have to think twice. — Marco13 9 secs ago
Welcome to Stack Overflow, noobeginner. This site is a bit different from what you might be expecting -- it's not a discussion forum, a tutorial, nor a code review site. It's about a very particular kind of question and answer. Spend a couple of minutes looking over the "two minute tour" to get an idea of what we do here: stackoverflow.com/tourRJHunter 49 secs ago
 
6:39 PM
@RubberDuck beat me to it
 
@AnubianNoob this question would be off-topic on Code Review because the code does not quite work as intended yet. — RubberDuck 46 secs ago
 
0
Q: Maze player model view and controller

Mr.WorshipMeThis is the player view model and controller for human player using a keyboard (easily extendable for over the network / split screen mode) The AI controller is posted in another post I've made earlier. Apologies for the size of the post, but I felt all these classes are too related to be revie...

 
6:59 PM
namespace amazeinggame
lol
 
Thanks, Santa! Now one-away here.
 
> You last voted on this answer Feb 20 '14 at 1:48
 
@Mat'sMug What about using namespace std; inside a function like main?
 
766
Q: Why is "using namespace std;" considered bad practice?

akbiggsI've been told by others on numerous occasions that my teacher was wrong in saying that we should use using namespace std; in our programs. Hence, we should use std::cout and std::cin and these are more proper. However, they did not even make it clear ever why this is a bad practice. Why is usin...

:)
 
7:08 PM
Just like this guy said: 'I've always liked Python's "import big_honkin_name as bhn" so you can then just use "bhn.something" rather than "big_honkin_name.something"'
 
0
Q: Setup MySQL tables with MAMP / Laravel

V4n1ll4Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial or documentation where I can setup MySQL tables for use with Laravel 5 on MAMP. Thanks in advance.

 
The question remains. Specifically for the case of std. Is it really prepending all that stuff with std:: or using this with the downsides stated there?
 
that's why I do C#
 
???
 
@CaptainObvious Nope
 
7:14 PM
I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because questions asking for tutorials or documentation are off-topic. — Mat's Mug 20 secs ago
#CustomCloseReasonFTW
4
 
@CaptainObvious someone else downvote so I can vote to delete as well.....
 
Already did.
 
@Lyle'sMug I think it would have to be closed first ;)
 
one more downvote to delete
@Mat'sMug I think you might be right
yep you are right, - 5 and no delete link
Delete cast
can't even flag it for an easy flag accept......
 
you seem a bit eager to spend delete votes and flags and stuff... remember there's a sad asker at the other end of the screen ;)
3
 
7:19 PM
@Mat'sMug agreed.
there is another person out there that doesn't know how to use Google
@kleinfreund aren't there usually more underscores in python names though?
 
Python has a lot of them. Thanks to PEP8.
Prepending cout, etc. with std:: is also not a big deal, still it seems pretty redundant.
 
0
Q: Drawing circles with triangles 2

Xis88I'm polishing my previous post. I've received two optimization proposals: Rotation matrix Exploiting symmetry axes Reviewers said that the first solution, although more complicated, is way more efficient. However, either I don't understand it (most probably, because I failed to implement it, ...

 
7:37 PM
With working code, consider posting to Code Review - it's more focused on this type of question. — Brian just now
 
I love it when an article I'm reading begins with this:
 
lol
 
> Z = sin( radians (360 / 8) ) # I call it the octagon constant, it somewhy works
> "It somehow works." —programmer
 
@SimonAndréForsberg Image won't load. What does it say?
 
-1
Q: DAO recordset effiency

mrbungleI have a form that consists of about 60 fields that all update when choosing a different customer from a drop down. I feel like my current way is not the best way as it takes about 30 seconds to update when changing customers. Currently I have Set rsTemp = dbTemp.OpenRecordset("SELECT Field1 FR...

0
Q: Is there a better way to write this AJAX script?

topleftI wanted to create a basic interaction which does 1 outcome but with 2 possible actions: get a number from an other document, by either clicking on a button or waiting a fixed amount of time. I wrote this, which works: //Initialize the ajax function (function($) { $.fn.getNumber = function(...

 
7:44 PM
> Automatic reconnect from Hibernate to MySQL
Yesterday I spent the entire day getting the following amazing state-of-the-art not-ever-done-before feature to work:

Executing a SQL statement from my program
 
"Atomic Facepalm"
2
 
The best way is to "go[...] to that trouble" and learn something. If you encounter any problem, come back. If you solved your problem you're fine. If you're not satisfied with it, go to codereview.stackexchange.comsepti 28 secs ago
 
@EthanBierlein hmm that's a notch or two above the weaponsgrade facepalm I've been using
 
When I really mean it I say "Lend me your hand".
 
@Mat'sMug What about "Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-30 Facepalm"? Maybe that's slightly tamer.
Than a nuke at least.
 
8:01 PM
This may be better on Code Review. — Peter Wood just now
I'm not sure this is a very good fit for Code Review, at least in the way it is worded: "does not work when there is only 1 line in a file" makes it should like there are problems with the code still before it works as intended. — Phrancis 9 secs ago
 
0
Q: Assembler for Hack Assembly Language (Python Implementation)

inyootMy Python implementation of for Hack Assembly Language. See Assembler for Hack Assembly Language - Take 2 for Java implementation. Any comment about best practices and performance improvement? import sys import os def usage(): print "Usage: %s namefile.asm" % os.path.basename(sys.argv[0]) ...

0
Q: Python help lazy loading large data sets

hawk1278I have a script which loads data into a database. I grab data from csv files and return a generator. The values yielded from the generator are used to build insert statements for bulk loading up to a 100K records at a time. Currently I have a function that looks like this to build a "list of l...

 
@user982599 it would be better to not post both on Code Review and Stack Overflow, as chances are it would be off-topic on one of the sites or the other. In this case, I see you posted on CR just now and chances are it will be closed there. — Phrancis 19 secs ago
 
@CaptainObvious @Duga I wish they'd wait for someone to respond before cross-posting.
 
0
Q: Move through a basic roguelike text map python

MedullanI have a basic outline for the best way I can come up with to move a character through a basic text map. I want to implement this module in my text rpg a simple text rpg. I know there has to be a better way to implement this code with less functions, and possibly with less print statements. Also ...

 
8:41 PM
We need an answer to this question explaining that asking for an explanation of code or the results of code are off-topic.
0
Q: Should the "broken code" close reason be reworded?

nhgrifHere are our current close reasons: As @rolfl explains here, the gist of each of these three close reasons can be roughly summarized as: your code works as intended it is your code (real code) the question must have the right presentation (include the actual code). Importantly,...

 
0
Q: Should the "broken code" close reason be reworded?

nhgrifHere are our current close reasons: As @rolfl explains here, the gist of each of these three close reasons can be roughly summarized as: your code works as intended it is your code (real code) the question must have the right presentation (include the actual code). Importantly,...

 
I've gotta go home. Can someone deal with this please?
That last edit makes your question off topic because its hypothetical code. And don't do that. Just craft a proper where statement. Don't do all those unions. — RubberDuck 43 secs ago
 
The Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-30 (Russian: Грязев-Шипунов ГШ-6-30) is a Russian 30 mm Gatling-style aircraft-mounted and naval autocannon used by Soviet and later CIS military aircraft. The GSh-6-30 fires a 30×165 mm, 390 g (13¾ oz) projectile. == Description == The GSh-6-30, designed in the early 1970s and entering service in 1975, has a six barrel design that is similar to the Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-23. It was based on the naval AO-18 used in the AK-630 system. Unlike most modern American rotary cannons, it is gas-operated rather than hydraulically driven, allowing it to "spin up" to maximum rate...
> But if you somehow braced the human rider, made the craft strong enough to survive the acceleration, wrapped it in an aerodynamic shell, and made sure it was adequately cooled ...
a pilot leaves an area very quickly by shooting it a lot and then flies over a mountain.
… with a GSH-6-30, you could jump mountains.
 

« first day (745 days earlier)      last day (1956 days later) »