« first day (383 days earlier)   

12:02 AM
I don't know how people do it in real life
I suspect that they aren't writing data out to 10k different tables
 
how people load a trillion-digit string in real life?
 
no, use the in memory oltp shock absorber strategy
> not reading the v. interesting transcript
 
None of this sounds like real life. Though I suppose it feels real enough to the researcher.
 
I'm not familiar with the IMOLTP shock absorber strategy
 
When you say "shock absorber," you mean trying to spread out latch waits?
 
12:09 AM
here's a very unhelpful blog post: cloudblogs.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2013/09/19/…
@jadarnel27 right now I'm doing singleton inserts
so it's easy to get into trouble with locks, latch waits, and just the overhead of inserting just one row per statement
shock absorber fixes the latch and lock problems
and you can insert as many rows as you want at once
into the real table
 
interesting
 
I think the big thing to make throughput better/actually scale would be to do bigger inserts and to only have one session inserting into a particular on-disk table at a time
I don't know of a way to do that that could possibly work out well except for in memory
 
12:27 AM
10,000 tables, each on a different disk.
 
oh dear
 
@JoeObbish this is the only practical use if imoltp I've seen implemented, and it was for crazy high rate data ingestion
@jadarnel27 @Forrest think of it in this context: you have an event that lots of people want to bet on, and while it's hot there can't be any delay in them placing or changing bets, but once the event closes it only matters for historical reasons
 
@ErikDarling not even to replace temp tables?
 
That's not what I'd call practical
 
high standards
 
12:42 AM
@ErikDarling thanks, that makes sense.
v. practical
 
If you're going to incorporate a feature that can't be undone it better goddamn well be for a good reason
 
heh
 
1:07 AM
Do you guys have any speculation on why Hekaton file groups can't be removed once they're added?
 
@jadarnel27 Microsoft programmers couldn't think of a reason why anyone would want to remove it
 
Haha solid guess.
 
yes
 
you suck at voting
5 messages moved to Trash
 
1:26 AM
did you watch your assigned anime yet?
 
no, but i can right now
link me
does crunchwrap have a smart tv app?
 
uhhhh
couldn't tell you
want a 48 hour pass?
 
sure
dubbed or subtitled?
 
what the hell kind of question is that?
do you care which email I use?
 
1:31 AM
oh I'm being dumb
 
also
when next week can you watch my stupid demos
 
can I watch them in the original Japanese?
email me
need to check on monday with my schedule in front of me
0% chance on monday
 
uh joe
 
wut
 
this is way too confusing rn
 
1:34 AM
maybe someone has that user name already
or it's throwing an error because you're too old for animu
 
v. upsetting
2 messages moved to Trash
> One Mwillion Yen For Youth
> I'm coming back... Can't believe this show made me feel so much emotion. Watching for the second time won't feel the same but this show was absolutely inspiring.
 
2:17 AM
it picks up after a few episodes
are you crying yet?
 
> wow two episodes in and I really like this show, these smiles <3
> w h o l e s o m e
 
just watch it tough guy
 
2:32 AM
i am
 
 
10 hours later…
12:50 PM
Oooh, I have a messed up instance that's generating 59s of VDI_CLIENT_OTHER wait per second per wait
I don't know how this is possible
 
1:13 PM
Never even heard of that wait.
 
1:35 PM
Seems related to automatic database seeding, so no wonder it's broken
 
Did you read down to the "additional information" section in the waits library? Seems like some weird by-design behavior.
 
2:05 PM
hmmm We have a sql environment that has never had a log backup... I'll have to do something about that.
That has gone to the top of my list for today.
 
@Zane DEVOPS, nothing to see here ;)
 
2:47 PM
Fine, be that way
 
Anyone have any ideas about what's going on here? The last 3 comments are...confusing to me. I just can't quite put my finger on what is going wrong.
@SeanGallardy =)
 
Oh Efff me we're using netbackup
 
lo siento
 
@jadarnel27 sounds like a comment problem
consider leaving more comments to ask for additional clarification
 
3:20 PM
@JoeObbish Done.
 
3:49 PM
Hmmm. I'm struggling to explain the concept of a listener to this fella at work and it's taking my patience to it's breaking point.
 
it's like a last name
 
Basically we have a listener that points to 2 servers. Server A is the primary DB server and server B is the secondary. Some of the databases on server A are not part of the AG and therefore if the listener points to the secondary those DB's are not available using the listener.
Which is why I want them to stop using the connection for the listener and instead just connect to server A.
That's always what they were supposed to be using but they don't want to use that for... Reasons. They don't want to be on the AG they just want to keep using that listener because it's "what everyone else does"...
So basically this weekend they lost connection and because I resolved the issue, it must be a DATABASE PROBLEM.
 
4:27 PM
I drew some pictures. It's fine now...
 
4:58 PM
In other news I still don't like Oracle.
It has done the opposite of grow on me.
 
5:15 PM
@Zane Auto shrinking on you?
 
"Why was not the server dedicated to MYSERVERNAME configured as such in the cluster?" What the fuck does that mean?
 
mark it as spam and move on
 
Respond with "have you tried turning it off and on again?"
 
5:43 PM
@jadarnel27 If only I could do that to people...
 
I think this world would be a lot better if people would just embrace the power of not knowing.
If you don't know something great! Now is a great opportunity to learn.
It's much a much better strategy than just doubling down on your assrtion.s
 
 
1 hour later…
7:16 PM
@SeanGallardy Where there's a will, there's a way!
 
If not all employees are shift-based, but rather a small number are, then you can add MAXDOP hint to further encourage the optimizer to use an optimized bitmap filter. Consider removing the SELECT * and only retrieving what you really need, too, as you're technically returning duplicate data and therefore increasing network I/O consumption unnecessarily. I'm sure you already know that... Your current tables are small but these issues will show up over time. Best to code it right the first time. — John Zabroski 17 mins ago
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
 
Does he think you work for a bicycle company?
0
A: What's a pathological case where a bitmap filter would not allow the PROBE(Field, IN-ROW) semijoin reduction optimization?

John ZabroskiI figured out the answer to my question - sort of. When you specify MAXDOP(8), the optimized bitmap filter optimization will create 8 hash buckets. The exact spread of integers across those hash buckets is probably Pearson hashing. I am curious if anyone in the comments knows the exact hashing...

(context)
 

« first day (383 days earlier)