« first day (2122 days earlier)   

12:00 AM
why install games off blurays when you can just mount an SSD with the game already installed in it?
> "Your hips always point the way you are running, because that's how legs work," Sullivan wrote in an update from Wednesday. He bemoaned the lack of ways to securely or neatly track a person's hip position in VR systems thus far, but until such systems are developed, he came up with a neat (if slightly uncomfortable and certainly awkward looking) trick: put an HTC Vive controller down your pants.
 
@badp after 20 long years in the wilderness the time has come for The Return of the Cartridge.
 
@Frank Thoughts overall?
@Fluttershy I'm interested, too. The art looks really neat
 
@twobugs It's essentially a more refined Awakening.
 
@Wipqozn If you believe that asking if a character exists that matches some criteria should be off-topic, then we need to revisit this discussion: meta.gaming.stackexchange.com/q/10214/28182
 
That was the impression I was getting - it's refined enough that the stuff I didn't like about awakening doesn't bother me nearly as much
 
12:05 AM
Conquest is supposed to be a ton harder.
That branch of fate is rough.
 
@LessPop_MoreFizz and if anything the return of the cartridge may very well be here to stay, because spinning disks can't get any faster or get much more capacity, but SSDs are only getting cheaper
and if you're using actual SSDs you don't even need to fix the size of the SSD
so when you have your AAAAAAAAA-game that requires all of the gifs tomorrow you just plug in a more capable SSD
it wouldn't be quite like game cartridges having actual physics or GPU chips in them but hey
 
For shame, @twobugs
 
Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.
 
@badp but will you still have to blow in the end of them?
 
@GodEmperorDune depends on how you un/mount them
I believe server grade hot swappable drive cages do not require you to blow on the connectors
 
12:30 AM
0
Q: Does Torbjorn's turret have a range?

O-OAs far as I've seen, it seems like Torbjorn's turret doesn't need to placed in a specific direction like TF2 and Dirty Bomb, so that's not an issue. What I'd like to know is if it has a cutoff range, or does all it need is line of sight? Meaning, could I place it on a high position that's far u...

 
12:45 AM
holy shit Orphan Black
 
> Yes, it’s the Austen Cinematic Universe, with characters from various novels making cameo appearances in other adaptations and post-credits stingers that reveal truly shocking acts of discourtesy that are in the planning stages. Wait until the fanboys see who’s playing Lady Dalrymple!
 
@Wipqozn yeah it was controversial when corduroy joined NWA
 
@Robotnik There's a difference between "hey, I remember a character like this, do they exist?" and "hey is there character like x that exists?".
Kind of like how there's a difference between "I remember a game where I was a guy with huge wings and a sword, but can't remember what it is" versus "Are there any games where you play as a character with huge wings and a sword?"
 
@Wipqozn so identify this character should require an artifact too?
 
12:50 AM
@GodEmperorDune No, it should require you thinking something actually exists
That's not the case for that pokemon question
 
0
Q: How medals are given?

GalabycaAt the end of the game, how medal are given exactly? Is there any source where we can read what's the difference between each medal (gold, silver, bronze) and the associated XP?

 
@Wipqozn so if they said "i know that there's a pokemon that matches the sphinx's riddle, which evolutionary line is it?"
basically the asker has to assert that they know it exists and it's on-topic?
that seems bizzare
 
@GodEmperorDune Not...really
You're kind of misunderstanding what I said
 
> it should require you thinking something actually exists
 
@GodEmperorDune yes
that's what I'm saying
that's what those other character identify questions are like
that metal sonic one? You think that thing exists, and you're looking for help remembering it
 
12:53 AM
but we can't read OP's mind, so how do we know that they think something exists?
 
Appreciate the following
 
it's the same for ITG,we're trying to help you remember some thing
 
@Wipqozn then go with "we need an artifact" instead of a vague description
 
@GodEmperorDune okay, let's ignore the character thing for a second
let's assume we're takling about a game
 
Cc @LessPop_MoreFizz
 
12:54 AM
If someone asked "Is there a Doom game where you play as a woman?", do you think we should close it?
 
@Wipqozn i would downvote, answer "No" and collect my rep and reversal badge
actually, with ITG rules, i take that back
 
@Unionhawk That looks like it would be delicious
 
that's closeable because its "get me a game from a set of criteria"
 
@GodEmperorDune The point I was trying to make si that they're just looking for a recommendation. IF the question was "I want to play a Doom game where the main character is female. Does one exist?", would you close it?
@GodEmperorDune and I'm sayingt hat pokemon sphinx question is the same thing
The person has no idea if that cahracter exists, they just saw some random joke on the internet and thought "huh, I wonder if any pokemon DOES match that sphinx riddle!"
 
@Wipqozn so you are saying the sphinx thing is a character recommendation question?
 
12:57 AM
If you removed the joke from the question, then you're just left with "IS there any pokemon that is like X? That would be really cool"
 
> Questions that ask for recommendations of games, servers, software, or hardware are off topic. For more information on why these sorts of questions don't work here, see "So, what actually is a Game-Rec?" and "Q&A Is Hard. Let's Go Shopping!"
 
Yeah, but if we close it, we get a giant meta post calling us "Not Fun".
 
@GodEmperorDune Kind of yeah
 
> Questions asking for help identifying a game, whether based on a description, or feature list, or any other set of criteria are off-topic; this blog post might help. We allow an exception for identifying games based on an actual piece of the game, such as screenshots or audio clips.
 
there are currently 721 Pokémon
 
12:59 AM
@Yuuki yeah well this will also be coming from the guy whose main pastime is trolling a51. I mean what
Did I say that
How rude of me
 
@Unionhawk robotnik is an a51 troll?
 
No Lego Stormtroopr
 
@Wipqozn then make a meta that says we shouldn't allow "identify this character" questions
because you are applying the game rules to a character
 
@GodEmperorDune I'mnot applying rules to anything
I'm just brainstorming
i'm not trying to have some crusade shut these quesions down, I'm just trying to flesh out a discussion to get an idea of how I feel about it, since I'm not really sure how I feel
 
@Wipqozn i mean i'm fine if we don't want to identify characters without an artifact
i never voted to close the sphinx, but the meta was persuasive enough for me to vote to reopen it
 
1:01 AM
I am on a crusade to shut down the "this is a joke therefore off topic" though
 
@GodEmperorDune That was a great meta, which Ia gree with, I'm just not sure if ti applies in the specific case of the pokemon question
 
@GodEmperorDune i want to play a water Pokémon that is blue. is there such a Pokémon?
 
@Dragonrage squirtle squirtle, i don't get the point you are trying to make
 
@Unionhawk I'm still going to go with it's a shitty ass question.
 
@Unionhawk That's not what I'm doing, and if you were trying to accuse me of that, please don't
 
1:03 AM
@Wipqozn the meta was specifically about that sphinx pokemon question
 
@Dragonrage These are varying shades of blue but not "true blue".
 
@GodEmperorDune It's really not. That's just the specific question that sparked @Robotnik to make that .Yes, he's trying to get that question reopened, but his primary concern was the more general case of "Identify this character" questions and the "No Fun" attitude some folks have
 
@Wipqozn I'm not
 
@Wipqozn it's explicitly about that question
> And I'm hoping I can change that viewpoint, or at the very least, share my perspective and show where I (and others) are coming from when we say questions like Is there a Pokemon evolution line that fits the Sphinx's riddle? are on-topic.
 
1:04 AM
@Frank But VTC requires more than just that
 
> questions like
 
Downvote doesn't though
 
@Unionhawk I already said I was wrong to close it for that reason.
 
He's talking about the general case, not just that specific question
 
@Fluttershy @twobugs it is all sorts of awesome so far
 
1:05 AM
In general, though, I really don't think we're a gaming joke question repository.
 
@agent86 Yaaaaaaaaaaay!
It's on sale on the humble store, so I may pick it up.
 
@Unionhawk okay, cool
 
it's like arkham style combat plus really good story plus branching paths and multiple endings and stuff
 
@Wipqozn so your position is "i agree in general, but still want to close this specific question"?
 
@GodEmperorDune No, I'm saying I don't his meta applies to the example he used.,
 
1:06 AM
Either way, I'm done arguing it. It should be deleted and just finished.
 
watch it be in the new humble monthly :P
 
@Frank Deleted? It's not even closed right now.
 
> In the specific case:
The Sphinx Riddle question should be reopened, as it's

Character Identification (on-topic)
Answerable (and answered)
Trivia (on-topic)
Fun/a Joke (shouldn't factor into closing at all)
 
well "I'm not sure" would probably be more accurate. His meta seems to primarily addressing the case where you think something exsits, and just need some help remembering it (And also that he feels folks shut down legit questions just because they think it's fun"
 
although technically I didn't buy it
sooooo yeah.
 
1:07 AM
@AshleyNunn Yeah, I know. Don't care. Not arguing it. It should be deleted.
 
@GodEmperorDune All of the example questiosn given, including the meta he linked,is about helping users track down a character they already think exists. That's not true for the Pokemon question. The asker has no idea if such a Pokemon exists, and wants us to tell them.
 
0
Q: How do I efficiently open chests in Game of War for free?

ragerdlHow do I efficiently open chests in Game of War for free? I know I can use the item that opens 500 at once, but those often cost gold.

 
I'm saying the it's an ITC question which is different from all the other ones we deal with, and we haven't really addressed that specific case.
And trhat because of that difference, the regular rule may not make sense
 
@Wipqozn i mean i wasn't around during the ITG stuff, but my understanding is that the "we need an artifact" rule came about because going off vague recollections is problematic
 
just like how we realized the ban on ITG didn't make sense if a user had an artifact
 
1:10 AM
however, vague recollections for characters have been ruled as not problematic
 
@GodEmperorDune This isn't a vague recollection though, it's just asking if a character exists which exists some arbitary set of criteria
 
If we're treating that question like an ITG, it'd still be closed as off-topic because the artifact presented is not at all relevant.
Or at the very least, doesn't help with identification.
 
@Yuuki right, but it's ITC which has no artifact requirement
 
mkay, just about time for streaming. maybe we'll stream not a hero tonight? dunno.
 
@Wipqozn but vague recollection is an arbitrary set of criteria
 
1:13 AM
@GodEmperorDune I'm aware of what our rules are, I'm saying this Pokemon question seems to be an outlier which our rules never really considered before, and I'm not sure if it make sense for the rules to apply there
 
@Wipqozn i think if you want to make a new rule to specifically exclude this question, then make the artifact rule also apply to ITC
 
@GodEmperorDune It's not about this specific question
 
@GodEmperorDune We don't really do that because of the narrower scope of the question.
 
To be honest I'm not sure how my point is having so much trouble getting across
 
@Wipqozn I...think? I get what you're saying?
 
1:15 AM
There's a very clear difference between someone looking for help identifying something they think exists, and getting help figuring out if something actually exists.
 
@Wipqozn let me rephrase that. i think that "you can only ask about things you believe to exist" is a poor criteria
 
@GodEmperorDune It's also playing magic word syndrome.
 
@GodEmperorDune "Does P = NP?"
 
@GodEmperorDune The intent is very different between the two, just like the difference between ITG this game and Game-REc
 
It means, "Does a pokemon with 2-4-3 leg evolutions exist?" is off-topic, and "I recall a pokemon with 2-4-3 evolutions, but I forget which it is" is on-topic.
 
1:16 AM
I think you put it best before whenyou said I view them as something akin to "Character recommendation"
 
@Wipqozn but what the artifact rule in ITG does (among other things) is provide proof that the thing exists
 
@Frank yes, precisely
 
We'd literally have users wording around the requirement.
 
@GodEmperorDune Yes, and the reason that doesn't apply to ITC is because of the narrowed subset.
 
1:18 AM
@AshleyNunn Hrrrk
 
And that could very well apply to this sphinx question too
 
Like we do with, "Does documentation exist about what the developers were thinking?" wording around the dev intent reason.
 
but even then, back before ITG was ruled off-topic
 
I mean, for the nail polish to be chicken-flavored it would necessarily mean that it's edible.
 
IF someone just said "hey is there any game where you play as X?",w e'd close it as a game recommendation
An ITG without the "I think this exists" is just a game rec
 
1:19 AM
And there are a whole host of problems that come with wearing edible things on your hands.
 
@Yuuki inb4 thats how you get ants (cc @uni)
 
@Yuuki They claim that it is.
 
that is a key difference between ITG and Game Rec, and we see that same difference in the pokemon question and the other ITC questiosn @Robotnik linked
 
@Wipqozn I'm not sure I'm understanding the distinction.
Asking for the existence of something that meets arbitrary criteria, versus something you're trying to recall from memory, is basically asking for the same thing.
Functionally, for us, there is no difference.
 
@Wipqozn i disagree with half of the ITC questions linked in the meta, but precedent has allowed them so far
 
1:22 AM
@AshleyNunn Ewwww
 
@GodEmperorDune See, I feel the opposite, I think all those questions are fine.
 
@GodEmperorDune Thanks, Obama
Oh, wait, you said precedent
 
I agree with @murgatroid99 that the narrowed scope of ITC for a specific series avoids many of the problems of ITG
 
@SaintWacko I know, right?
 
Although then again, an ITG where someone is pretty sure something exists in series X is similiar
In anycase, the main point I'm trying to make is I'm not sure how I feel, so I wanted to flesh it out in chat before potentially commenting on the meta.
 
1:27 AM
@Wipqozn have your feelings solidified?
 
@GodEmperorDune I'm not sure
I am confident I shouldn't have replied to that meta post yet though!
I also don't care strongly one way or another if that Sphinx questions remains open
This is the internet though, so I couldn't just remain silent. That would be silly.
 
Are we still talking about that
good grief
 
yeah, a couple days i've been feeling like the xkcd "someone is wrong on the internet" guy
@ChromeSlice here, come kick this football charlie brown
 
@ChromeSlice We're done, but your comment has made me tempted to keep on talking
That'll learn ya
You youngins'
 
You have a terrible attitude about such things
 
1:31 AM
@ChromeSlice An attitude about what things?
and what attitude?
 
@Wipqozn Stellaris hyyyyyyype!
 
@Frank Monday is going to be pretty rad
 
ok, i have another theory about your feelings on the sphinx question @Wipqozn
you feel that the search space of pokemon evolution chains is too big
 
@Wipqozn Apparently the whole game is moddable.
 
> Questions like this are superficially similar to the game identification questions, but they have one important difference: they can be answered by an exhaustive search in a reasonable amount of time.
 
1:33 AM
@GodEmperorDune No, I don't
 
@Wipqozn well that was quick
hmm
 
@GodEmperorDune It's really as simple as "I want to find a character that matches criteria X" vs "I remember a character with Criteria X. Who is it?"
which I view similar to "I want to find a game with criteria X" vs "I remember a game with Criteria X"
 
@Wipqozn to me, those are the same question with a slight wording difference
and it may be that ITG and game rec were so widespread that we need two separate close reasons to handle them
 
@GodEmperorDune I don't think they are, though, since that slight wording difference conveys a completely differnet intent, just like how there's a completely different intent between a Game Rec and an ITG.
 
but fundamentally they are both about the search for a game with criteria X
@Wipqozn but we are not mind readers, so we are bad at judging intent
so intent should not make a question on or off topic
 
1:37 AM
@Wipqozn Both of which are actually off-topic.
 
@GodEmperorDune but intent is why ITG was allowed for so long
 
@Frank except for the ITG with artifact
 
@GodEmperorDune I was basing it off what was there, which is no artifact.
 
to be honest I'm not even trying to say sphinx like questiosn should be shut down
 
@Wipqozn but its not about what used to be allowed, its about what is allowed now
and game rec is not allowed
 
1:38 AM
I''m just trying to say there's a difference between that sphinx question and all the other ones w ehave. We haven't addressed that difference, and we should.
 
and ITG is not allowed, unless you have an artifact
 
@GodEmperorDune you guys need to stop focusing so much on the rules here, because you're misunderstanding
and the here and now
 
3 mins ago, by GodEmperorDune
but fundamentally they are both about the search for a game with criteria X
both character rec and identify this character are about a search for a character with criteria X
 
Either way I think most people will agree the Sphinx question is really silly
 

« first day (2122 days earlier)