« first day (4910 days earlier)      last day (33 days later) » 

12:00 AM
Marijuana is illegal here anyway
We raise hemp for clothes, not for marijuana.
 
@DannyuNDos Thus has it been used since time immemorial! Did you know that like horses we have lost track of the uncultivated original of the cannabis plant? They're all only feral now, not wild. Any found growing as a weed anywhere in the world is always a feral version of one long, long ago domesticated. There are no wild kinds.
 
Never knew that.
 
Very accurate statue. I can't distinguish which one is the real Pasteur.
 
I was surprised. They've been reasonably successful at tracking down original unmodified/unselected versions of a great many of our domesticated organisms; think maize, rice, wheat, lentils, peas, flax, tomatoes, chiles, limes, chickens, goats, dogs, cats, honey bees, silkworms, and many more. But not horses, and not cannabis. We believe the originals no longer remain.
@jlliagre Look for a clerical collar or a shepherd's hook.
 
12:15 AM
@tchrist Bien vu !
 
Feral cannabis, or wild marijuana (often referred to in North America as ditch weed), is wild-growing cannabis generally descended from industrial hemp plants previously cultivated for fiber, with low or negligible amounts of psychoactive tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). The Drug Enforcement Administration defines ditch weed as "wild, scattered marijuana plants [with] no evidence of planting, fertilizing, or tending". Industrial hemp was widely cultivated in the American Midwest in the mid-20th century, particularly to support the war effort during World War II, and since that period the plant has...
Just like dingos are not wild dogs but feral ones.
They were domesticated and then "went wild". But they are merely feral.
 
Marginally related, but:
Gotta have a permission to have this eeveelution.
 
1:23 AM
A dragon would never explode... But a dino might.
 
1:56 AM
Crocus          sativus
Castanea        sativa
Coriandrum      sativum
Liriomyza       sativae
Uromyces   pisi-sativi
> Plantarum historiæ universalis Oxoniensis. Pars secunda seu herbarum distributio nova, per tabulas congnationis & affinitatis ex libro naturæ observata & detecta
Morison, Robert, 1620-1683.
I don't understand the concord on Liriomyza.
Liriomyza sativae, commonly known as the vegetable leaf miner, is a species of insect, a fly in the family Agromyzidae. The larvae of this fly mine the leaves of a range of vegetables and weeds, but seem to favour plants in the families Cucurbitaceae, Fabaceae and Solanaceae. == Description == Eggs of L. sativae measure approximately 0.25 by 0.12 mm (0.010 by 0.005 in) and are translucent and whitish. The larvae are legless grubs, with no head capsule. They are translucent at first, but become yellowish-orange in later instars. The pupae are oval and slightly flattened and vary in colour ...
Given that we also find Liriomyza ivorcutleri and Liriomyza flava. Most of these are nominative feminine singular, but perhaps some are genitive feminine singular. Yes, that must be it.
This is a list of 413 species in Liriomyza, a genus of leaf miner flies in the family Agromyzidae. == Liriomyza species == == References ==
But why would be sativae be genitive not the normal nominative sativa?
The serpentine leaf miner is the larva of a fly, Liriomyza brassicae, in the family Agromyzidae, the leaf miner flies. It mines wild and cultivated plants, such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and Chinese broccoli. It is distributed in the Pacific, Africa, and the Americas. The life cycle of the fly is up to 21 days. It lays eggs in the leaf epidermis of host plants. Larvae hatch within four days. They are yellow or green and have three instars. It emerges from the pupa as an adult, a gray fly with black and yellow spots. The American serpentine leafminer (Liriomyza trifolii) is a closely related...
Leaf-miner of the brassica thingy.
Maybe.
But when did sativa become nouny?
Liriomyza trifolii, known generally as the American serpentine leafminer or celery leafminer, is a species of leaf miner fly in the family Agromyzidae. L. trifolii is a damaging pest, as it consumes and destroys produce and other plant products. It commonly infests greenhouses and is one of the three most-damaging leaf miners in existence today. It is found in several countries around the globe as an invasive species, but is native to the Caribbean and the Southeastern United States. == Description == L. trifolii are relatively small flies for their family. The adults typically measure less than...
Liriomyza trifoliearum is a species of fly in the family Agromyzidae. == Distribution == United States. == References ==
 
Shut the window, it's cold!
 
It's +20°C
I wanted to take part in a run planned to start at 06:30 am, but no, I was feeling too tired
I ran about 10 km yesterday, and bicycled 30 km
 
2:14 AM
@CowperKettle I only walked 4 miles today because winter returned. Normally I walk 7 or 8 miles a day.
But I found that just behind my house.
Bald eagle, full adult.
 
@tchrist Wow!
 
At first I couldn't make it out in the dense fog because the white head and white tail were invisible and the resulting shape when you subtract those out was "wrong". I thought it was a big black trash bag stuck in a tree at first. :)
 
For days the shepherds in the fields may be,
Nor mark a patch of sky — blindfold they trace,
The plains, that seem without a bush or tree,
Whistling aloud by guess, to flocks they cannot see.
 
2:22 AM
@CowperKettle In Russia? Really?
 
That was today everywhere. You can see why the eagle deceived me.
 
@DannyuNDos Yesterday was the warmest 20 April in Yekaterinburg since records began in the end of the 19th centry
 
No 4/20 for you! :)
 
I guess it's colder here because of the rain, then.
 
2:25 AM
They're nuts to go in that water.
 
The philosophers' ships or philosopher's steamers (Russian: философский пароход) were steamships that transported intellectuals expelled from Soviet Russia in 1922. The main load was handled by two German ships, the Oberbürgermeister Haken and the Preussen, which transported more than 200 expelled Russian intellectuals and their families in September and November 1922 from Petrograd (modern-day Saint Petersburg) to the seaport of Stettin in Germany (modern-day Szczecin in Poland). Three detention lists included 228 people, 32 of them students. Later in 1922, other intellectuals were transported...
 
2:44 AM
Is there a particular sound that annoys you at night?
Frogs cry around my house at night, so
 
@DannyuNDos The cars that hiss by my window like the waves down on the beach
 
 
1 hour later…
3:51 AM
> And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night.
 
 
2 hours later…
5:53 AM
> Where hairy Jews in canoes sing the blues
Could someone use AI to make Elvis and Jesus sing this song in the picture?
 
6:10 AM
> In Aomori Prefecture, Japan, lies a village named Shingō, the location of what is purported to be the resting place of Jesus, the "Tomb of Christ" (Kirisuto no haka), and the residence of Jesus' last descendants, the family of Sajiro Sawaguchi.

According to the legend, Jesus Christ did not die on the cross at Golgotha. Instead, a man alleged to be his brother, Isukiri, took his place on the cross, while Jesus escaped across Siberia to Mutsu Province, in northern Japan.
Shingō (新郷村, Shingō-mura) is a village located in Aomori Prefecture, Japan. As of 28 February 2023, the village has an estimated population of 2,192 in 895 households and a population density of 15 persons per km2 (42 people per square mile). The total area of the village is 150.77 square kilometres (58.21 sq mi). == Geography == Shingō is in south-central Aomori Prefecture, east of Lake Towada. The western edge of the village borders Akita Prefecture. Much of the village is mountainous with the outer ring mountains of Lake Towada, including Mt. Okomagatake (1,144 metres (3,753 ft)) and M...
They don't make music like that anymore
 
 
1 hour later…
8:17 AM
-10
Q: What are the mitigating advantages of democracy?

Comic Sans SeraphimDemocracy is the worst form of government. And yet it endures, causing misery to the populations under it. What advantages does democracy have to make up for this?

@DannyuNDos cats fighting outside somewhere in the neighborhood
It doesn't happen all the time though. There are periods of ceasefire.
 
9:08 AM
> And in place of lowing cattle, I can hear the fiendish rattle
Of the tramways and the buses making hurry down the street,
And the language uninviting of the gutter children fighting,
Comes fitfully and faintly through the ceaseless tramp of feet.
(21 Dec 1889)
 
9:59 AM
[ SmokeDetector | MS ] Mostly non-latin answer (50): Which option is correct?‭ by Omid Ahmedi‭ on english.SE
 
10:10 AM
Rootl game #325

⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
 
3 hours later…
1:26 PM
#WhenTaken #54 (21.04.2024)

I scored 872/1000 🎉

1️⃣ 📍 3272 km - 🗓️ 17 yrs - ⚡ 101 / 200
2️⃣ 📍 103.6 metres - 🗓️ 0 yrs - ⚡ 200 / 200
3️⃣ 📍 4 km - 🗓️ 2 yrs - ⚡ 198 / 200
4️⃣ 📍 477 km - 🗓️ 0 yrs - ⚡ 186 / 200
5️⃣ 📍 159 km - 🗓️ 6 yrs - ⚡ 187 / 200

https://whentaken.com
Wordle 1,037 5/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬛⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
1:43 PM
Daily Octordle #818
3️⃣🕛
5️⃣7️⃣
8️⃣9️⃣
🔟🕚
Score: 65
 
1:56 PM
Wrong window.
 
@XanderHenderson Right door.
 
@Mitch Indeed. This is what I get for having too many browsers and windows and tabs and such.
 
 
1 hour later…
3:06 PM
#WhenTaken #54 (21.04.2024)

I scored 987/1000 🎉

1️⃣ 📍 108 km - 🗓️ 0 yrs - ⚡ 195 / 200
2️⃣ 📍 457.8 metres - 🗓️ 0 yrs - ⚡ 200 / 200
3️⃣ 📍 55.9 metres - 🗓️ 1 yrs - ⚡ 199 / 200
4️⃣ 📍 132 km - 🗓️ 0 yrs - ⚡ 194 / 200
5️⃣ 📍 28 km - 🗓️ 0 yrs - ⚡ 199 / 200

whentaken.com
I don't think I'll ever beat that again...
 
3:32 PM
#WhenTaken #54 (21.04.2024)

I scored 923/1000 🎉

1️⃣ 📍 3163 km - 🗓️ 2 yrs - ⚡ 136 / 200
2️⃣ 📍 113.1 metres - 🗓️ 0 yrs - ⚡ 200 / 200
3️⃣ 📍 26.0 metres - 🗓️ 2 yrs - ⚡ 198 / 200
4️⃣ 📍 153 km - 🗓️ 1 yrs - ⚡ 193 / 200
5️⃣ 📍 75 km - 🗓️ 0 yrs - ⚡ 196 / 200

https://whentaken.com
The first one screwed me. :D
 
@XanderHenderson How didn't you see the date on the fourth one?
 
@jlliagre Didn't even notice it. I have dyscalculia, and strings of numbers tend to fly by me.
 
3:48 PM
> #WhenTaken #54 (21.04.2024)

I scored 754/1000 🎉

1️⃣ 📍 2004 km - 🗓️ 37 yrs - ⚡ 50 / 200
2️⃣ 📍 4 km - 🗓️ 22 yrs - ⚡ 147 / 200
3️⃣ 📍 5 km - 🗓️ 9 yrs - ⚡ 187 / 200
4️⃣ 📍 726 km - 🗓️ 3 yrs - ⚡ 175 / 200
5️⃣ 📍 76 km - 🗓️ 1 yrs - ⚡ 195 / 200

https://whentaken.com
@XanderHenderson Oh I never noticed a date either.
How did you get the years so close every time!
 
@Cerberus I make my best guess, and round to the nearest five.
 
In the second one, at first I was thinking of the correct year as an obvious choice. But then I thought, maybe it was another occasion of a similar nature, because some bits looked too modern.
 
And my guesses are pretty good, I guess.
 
What do you base them on?
The first one, for example?
 
@Cerberus No, that is a super famous photo.
 
3:50 PM
Well I wouldn't know it.
But I guessed the type of occasion.
 
The first one looks like a modern cell phone photo, so I guessed "in the last 10 years".
 
Why does it look like a modern cell-phone photo?
What do you see?
 
The saturation of the color is the big one (which can be done in film, but usually isn't, unless one is going for particular effects)---it looks like it has been digitally post-processed.
 
At least I am glad that I guessed the location better than you on two counts.
 
The rusted satellite dish also helps narrow things down a bit.
@Cerberus I think you only did better on one location.
 
3:52 PM
Just a bit!
Ohh you have metres.
Well, then.
And location 4 was just a gamble for me, inside a very big region.
 
Yeah, the only location clue I had was the language, so I tried to drop an appropriate pin. But the fashion is super identifiable.
 
I hoped to recognise the name of a province in the name of the shop. But no.
What is identifiable about the fashion?
 
@Cerberus I mean, if you lived through it, you recognize it. Look at those sweaters!
And that floral blouse!
And the hair on those manikins!
 
No idea! I mean I got within 3 years.
But +/- 7 years I would not have been surprised.
 
No, that one I had to within five or six years. I was actually pretty happy that it wasn't five years later, which would have been my next guess.
 
3:57 PM
By the way, my first idea for the fishing-town was actually on the right continent. But then I vacillated.
And picked the 'safer' option.
 
 
2 hours later…
5:56 PM
@Cerberus When I first saw that picture, I immediately thought about the Maghreb and especially a city I visited twice there where the boats are painted in blue like this. I was comforted in my opinion because one of the boats name starts with "sidi" and because the dish orientation mostly rules out another coast of this country and the remaining Maghreb countries.
 
 
1 hour later…
7:07 PM
In case I haven't posted this already, for others who don't know that French tacos are not exactly tacos, and for @jlliagre who does:
Somewhere deep inside that article it also gives the wild grammar tidbit that 'tacos' is singular in French
 
8:07 PM
This singular S reminds me the odd genitive S that became part of the French name of the lapel pin: le pin's, a very popular thing here around the early '80s.
 
@jlliagre Maybe nobody will.
They screwed me on Morocco again. Jesus, I fall for the Aegean every time.
Daily Sequence Octordle #818
4️⃣7️⃣
8️⃣🕚
🕛🕐
⓮⓯
Score: 84
 
8:34 PM
Daily Octordle #818
3️⃣9️⃣
6️⃣8️⃣
🔟🟥
🕐🕚
Score: 74
Daily Sequence Octordle #818
6️⃣7️⃣
8️⃣9️⃣
🔟🕚
🕛⓮
Score: 77
Wordle 1,037 X/6

⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬛⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
9:21 PM
@tchrist It seems the sheet heet the fan.
 
@jlliagre Last night I heard upon thee eigher / A little sound that was not they or / Ih ’twasn’t they, Rogaine, 𝑡𝑜𝑢𝑡 eh? / Ah wish awe shit gonna weigh!
What's the opposite of the Principle of Charity?
> Charity is only the first step in an argument. First, we listen and only then do we respond. Our response is more likely to be convincing because we've taken the opposing argument seriously. The opposite of the principle of charity is the straw man.
Just because you feel biting ants crawling all over every inch of your body doesn't mean they're there, especially if you've been up for five days without a wink of sleep or forgot to take your duly prescribed antipsychotic medications.
Wide indeed are the shoulders than can carry so many chips upon them.
> Therefore, [ˈlɛnɨ̞n] can stand for only "Lenin", not "Lennon", which has a lower vowel: [ˈlɛnən]. However, speakers may not always clearly perceive that difference, as /ə/ is sometimes raised to [ɘ] in contact with alveolar consonants (such as the alveolar nasals in "Lennon" [ˈlɛnɘn]).
> In English, the checked vowels are the following:[1]

/ɪ/ as in pit
/ɛ/ as in pet
/æ/ as in pat
/ɒ/ as in pot (in varieties without the cot-caught merger or the father–bother merger)
/ʊ/ as in put (in varieties without the FOOT–GOOSE merger)
/ʌ/ as in putt
Check your bowels, guys, something's gone a leaking.
To put too fine a point on it is all that's ever done, not never done.
6
Q: difference between the OALD pronunciation of /i/ in happy /ˈhæpi/ and /ɪ/ in sit /sɪt/?

FirdausI wanted to learn more about phonetics and I stumbled across this website: http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/about/english/pronunciation_english However, I couldn't get what the difference is between the pronunciation of /i/ in the word happy /ˈhæpi/ and /ɪ/ in sit /sɪt/ and als...

3
Q: Happy tensing after /l/

DisodiumHappy tensing is claimed by Wikipedia to occur in General American and Australian English in words like "happy", "money", "valley" etc. Here's an American lady saying "realy badly" as [ˈriɫɪ ˈbædɫɪ] at 1:07:53: https://youtu.be/4LWKWjMNaOs?t=4073 To my ear it's nowhere near [i] as in "ease", r...

3
A: Is there a more accurate way to describe "short vowels" and "long vowels"?

John LawlerWell, you're right that it isn't a good description of English, and it isn't really helpful. What kids have to learn in school is how to read standard English orthography, however. That's far from a simple task, and everybody approaches it their own way, teacher and student. I can't really off...

21
A: Dialects where days of the week end with "dee"?

sarahThe short answer can be found in these maps from Professor Bert Vaux's Dialect Survey: The speech accent archive, suggests that the -dee ending is popular in the American Southeast, particularly in Louisville, Kentucky; Atlanta, Georgia; Belmont, Mississippi; Plantersville, Arkansas; Elmore, Ala...

1
A: When to reduce and when not to reduce a vowel ([ɪ] & [i])

herissonWord-final position is special. Full vowel reduction to schwa doesn't occur in general for word-final unstressed vowels, but there are special neutralizations that apply in this context. The most common word-final unstressed vowels are: "commA". This is typically transcribed as the phoneme /ə/...

7
A: What rules govern uniform mispronounciation of romance languages?

herissonThis answer can't be as complete as I'd like it to be, because the "why" part of your question is fairly difficult and I don't know the answer. But here's some relevant information. Peculiarities of the English sound system English has a different sound system than the other languages, as you'r...

2
A: Why is 'worthy' pronounced with a /ði/ unlike 'healthy', 'wealthy' and 'stealthy'?

livresqueIn the case of /'wɛlθi/ vs. /'wɚði/, we're looking at more than one hypothetical rule, and the more I look into it, the more it screams ?exception. Of course, much like OP says, English phonetic rules are kind of made to be broken and/or drive ESL learners insane. Judging from the excellent d...

Flipping OALD yet again.
Fleepeeng, I meaned.
Behind ever word lurks a lethal shibboleth.
 
10:17 PM
Reminds me of my friend who said "disease" in an English class when he meant "this is".
 
@DannyuNDos Disease not a problem.
 
11:11 PM
Funny that in the video I posted two days ago (chat.stackexchange.com/transcript/message/65530570#65530570), Paul Taylor confessed (and demonstrated) he is able to speak French with absolutely no foreign accent but stated he prefers to keep an English accent most of the time because in that case people do not point out with surprise the grammatical mistakes he still makes.
 

« first day (4910 days earlier)      last day (33 days later) »