« first day (790 days earlier)      last day (48 days later) » 

12:24 AM
@TrentHawkins actually, I'm not saying that that was the case, but sometimes the store doesn't order it, the company sends them in automatically
but that being store-brand chips, probably wasn't the case
speaking of walmart, I just applied to a position at walmart, because it can't be as bad as the place I work now >.>
 
@Elise It's not helpful that there's no reliable way to get the expiration date either except turning the package everywhich way until you find where they've stamped it :|
Not exactly the hallmark of efficiency or user friendliness, heh
My favourite is when it looks like the date printer was crying out for help and it's just an odd assortment of squished dots
 
12:54 AM
@TimStone certainly, but you do get used to it when working it daily :) As a customer though... good luck :P
it's even worse when there is no legible expiration date, but rather a code, which literally no one on earth knows how to decipher
(except the people that put it there and maybe some random dude that was trained to read them)
 
1:15 AM
@Elise ehh... depends what exactly what it is your are doing. And who the manager/supervisors are. Just be aware that walmart likes to let people go at the 3 month mark (just before you would be required to have a performance review / raise / benefits)
 
@TrentHawkins my wife works at Walmart and she really enjoys it there. I work at a competing grocery store and our store manager used to be my wife's department manager and the power has really gone to his head. It really can't be that bad over at Walmart :P
and according to my wife, I don't think they are letting people go unless they don't to their job
or at least neither of us have heard anything about it
could also be because we live in a small town and they're always lacking workers
 
@Elise Then your particular walmart might be one of the well-managed ones. I had two supervisors (one who worked while the other had his days off). The main supervisor was great; helped us out when we were short of people / under heavy workload. Other guy was useless, mostly hid in the back while the rest of us worked.
 
there will definitely be downsides to it (lower pay, losing my really good benefits), but I'll be doing evening shifts, instead of night shifts (pros: night shifts are terrible physically and for social life. cons: customers) and not having to put up with a terrible store manager
@TrentHawkins that sounds way better than what I work with now :P
right now I work either dairy or frozen departments by myself, often both in same shift, when there's enough work to warrant at least 8 hours in each department, and the store manager is always complaining that we don't get EVERYTHING done every night
 
@Elise Probably. (the best managers are the ones who don't force the walmart chant. :P )
 
and couple nights ago I had to unload a truck, which took away 2.5h from working my dairy order and then he complained that it wasn't finished
@TrentHawkins wife tells me they've done it once in the 1.5 years she's been there :P
so, hopefully it's not a thing
 
1:24 AM
@Elise oh heck, that's a good walmart then. (I bet that once there was a bigewig visiting that day. :P )
 
@TrentHawkins hah, likely :P
 
 
2 hours later…
3:05 AM
Hmm feel like this isn't even the first time this year a town block has blown up in Allentown PA?
 
 
4 hours later…
7:00 AM
@TimStone non-AMP link: 6abc.com/…
@TimStone Now that I read the article: that's horrifying, and it really makes me feel bad for my overreaction last weekend when I threatened to burn the house down during an argument
 
 
4 hours later…
11:23 AM
IT's election daaaay
It's the bloc that's the real key though. If the cons do get enough seats for a minority, will the bloc get enough seats to support them, assuming they even would want to?
Because if the bloc wouldn't support the cons, then they have no chance of forming government. There's no way any party gets a majority. So we'd probably still see Liberal + NDP.
Since despite what sheer says (lies about), getting the most seat doesn't mean you get to form government or become PM. It's about being able to get the confidence of the house.
so if the bloc won't support scheer, then well, QQ scheer.
It's kind of wild scrolling down the 338 page. The atlantic provinces are mostly red/orange, with a bit of blue. Ontario and Quebec are just a jumble of colours. Then you get to the prairie provinces and it's just a sea of blue.
 
11:45 AM
@Wipqozn This would be what I would really like. Minority governments require politicians to actually stop acting like children and work together.
 
11:59 AM
@Frank in an ideal world yes
but where is the working together in the UK? or the US where one section of government is meant to be for bipartisan work but instead you have governors reliving themselves congress or reading Dr Seuss to drag out time
just need to elect reps that are willing to work with other
 
12:18 PM
@Memor-X Minority governments have no choice.
They don't have enough elected representatives to pass any bills, should the rest of the parties vote against them.
You need at least three parties for that to work, though; two is just, "for, or against"
 
It depends on the minority government. We got a lot done under a LIBERAL-NDP minority government. That's how we got single payer healthcare.
 
Yeah you also have to consider who is working together too
like, the Conservative-DUP minority over across the way is uh
less than ideal
 
1:05 PM
@Wipqozn I'm having a hard time thinking of potential minority combinations here in Canada that would be a problem.
 
Yeah other than like, the canadian equivalent of the tory-dup coalition, conservative-bloc
gl overall
 
@Elva I think the threat of "if this were introduced in my company I'd quit on the spot" is a bit of a meme in some communities, but his is one of those situations for me. My boss should not care about any conversations I have with coworkers, nor about my posture or toilet usage, as long as the work gets done
 
Yeah this is just... horrific
 
1:55 PM
Cool Crooked has a new podcast
 
recommended course of action is uninstalling twitter for 24 hours
 
@Unionhawk what happened?
Did you listen to the Behind the Bastards about them? That was incredible
Also Jacob Wohl, who they’re almost as bad as
 
my response is quote tweeted in the thread let's go
 
Could either of you provide some context? :p I is confuzzled
 
If you need context for the Krassensteins you're honestly probably better off
 
the krassensteins are 2 short kings who like to tweet like "sir your fired" at the president all day, figured out how to make money doing that I think, and then got banned from twitter
presumably for being too good at making money being presidential reply guys
but now they're back with the best ban evasion move possible, announcing that you got banned for using multiple accounts in the past
 
Ah but they got banned individually and this is an account for two people, the perfect plan
 
2:24 PM
@TimStone I don't really uuh, follow twitter drama. I try not to at least
 
It's a really good decision on your part :P
 
@Elva It's easier for me to not follow Twitter drama because I don't have a Twitter account.
 
I mean that helps, but I just occasionally check a few twitter accounts by typing their name
 
@Nzall unless you work for Amazon
 
3:07 PM
@Nzall argh
 
"Well, this house is brand spanking new so you'll have to be really careful with the walls because it might have asbestos"... is not a thing I'd expect to hear
 
Ash
@Wipqozn eeeergh
Voted, so now I wait and hope. (my voting location was the main floor of my building which was hella convenient)
@Wipqozn the prairies is always what worries me
 
I can't say I'll vote conservative, but considering my riding is still prairie central, I probably won't make a difference.
 
@Ash I was reading an article today about how it's not that the prairies vote PC, so much that they vote for whichever parties seem to be all "fuck Ottawa". I guess there's been a feeling for a long time that ottawa just doens't care about them, and based on some of what I've read, I get that.
 
The ads I've been hearing from conservatives seem to focus on, "You should get ahead. All these things Liberals are doing just cost you money."
 
3:20 PM
Yup, which is why they seem to poll well there. Honest or not, the cons have a message that speaks to them.
 
Which is a bit of a lark because, IIRC, rural areas tend to get more money back from the government in the form of programs and funding that they send to the government in taxes.
 
That does sound... well it's not generally what they'd say but it's basically accurate for how the general fiscally conservative policy works out?
 
I hate more taxes as much as the next guy. But I believe that there are things that have to change, and the carbon tax is something that's needed
 
Yeah, we need to fight climate change, and the carbon tax is part of that. It's not the end of it, but it's a start.
 
We, as a country, might have a relatively small pollution footprint, but this is one of those things where every bit counts.
 
3:22 PM
Also, a lot of the carbon tax the average family can get back via tax rebates,I think.
 
My brother, though, thinks it's a waste of money, because we don't have enough historical data to confirm that this is actually out of the norm.
"It's a cycle" is the common refrain.
 
I've heard that before, and when I hear it, all I can think of is "Who does lying about climate change profit?"
like why would all the scientists just go "yeah, let's lie about this." It doesn't make any sense.
 
@Frank I mean, even if mass extinctions are a cycle, things tend to die in mass extinctions.
 
I've got some links from some friends that I respect, where it seems like scientists are debunking climate change.
 
y'know, like people
 
3:26 PM
I can't say I've watched them, just that they're posting them on Facebook.
 
Yeah you'll see people like, looking at only bits and pieces of a graph and concluding that actually it's getting cooler every now and then
 
plus, how much is "enough historical data"?
it's just weasel words for moving the goalposts
 
Like yeah sure in the northern hemisphere it has probably gotten cooler on average over the last few months but why does your chart start at june of this year
 
@Yuuki ~100 years out of the biblical...7000 years? isn't enough to draw accurate conclusions.
 
3:27 PM
we have more than 100 years of climate data though
thank you, ice core drilling
 
And also uhm, the earth is quite a bit older then 7k years
 
"That's not accurate temperature data" - pretty sure that's going to be their argument.
 
@Frank IS young earth creationism still a thing?
 
@Wipqozn Depends on how traditional you want to get.
 
@Frank "Why?"
 
3:29 PM
At the end of the day, if people aren't interested in changing their views, they're going to twist whatever you say.
 
> A 2017 Gallup creationism survey found 38 percent of adults in the United States held the view that "God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years" when asked for their views on the origin and development of human beings, which Gallup noted was the lowest level in 35 years
apparantly it is
Young Earth creationism (YEC) is a form of creationism which holds as a central tenet that the Earth and its lifeforms were created in their present forms by supernatural acts of a deity between approximately 6,000 and 10,000 years ago. In its most widespread version, YEC is based on the religious belief in the inerrancy of certain literal interpretations of the Book of Genesis. Its primary adherents are Christians who believe that God created the Earth in six days in contrast with old Earth creationism (OEC), which holds literal interpretations of Genesis that are compatible with the scientifically...
 
@Wipqozn And to a degree, this is something I personally believe.
 
@Wipqozn Yep, that's a common belief in the US
 
This is why I hate communal problems, you can't just put all the people who are anti-conservation into a "green-free" bubble. No, we all have to suffer with them.
 
But I don't think it's fair to make the assumption that we're going to get bailed out by an act of God because we're stupid about caretaking the world.
 
3:30 PM
@Frank especially since the bible talks about taking good care of the world
 
@Yuuki I...think?...the basic argument right now is that Canada's pollution is so low, we shouldn't be doing anything.
 
You do occasionally see people pull out Genesis 9:11 lol
 
So a more focused view of the world. Which...honestly, is a really traditional view to have.
 
@Frank I was under the assumption that creationism was still a thing, but not the "young earth" part of it. aka the timeframe changed.
This is all coming from an outside observer though, since I'm not religious.
 
Yeah I believe the Catholic line is "look, creation and evolution are compatible, and obviously the genealogical data in the Bible is not enough to support any kind of real timeline on the thing"
 
3:35 PM
Hmm god of the gaps
 
@Frank and yet that's a commonly associated belief; either that God wouldn't allow us to screw up the world (he would supernaturally prevent us from doing so), or that it wouldn't matter if we did, because God is going to create a new Heavens and a new Earth (per Revelation)
 
yes because god feels that repenting for your mistakes is totally inefficient and he'll just keep you from making mistakes in the first place that's totally how god has operated in the past what do you mean confession is a major part of catholicism and there's a whole "sinners repent" saying thing and why are you talking about born-again christians
 
@BradC I find that absolving yourself of your responsibility for your actions is an incredibly stupid thing to do, religious or not.
I'm pretty traditional, but Dad's always taught me that you need to own your actions, and try to do better.
I wonder how many of the US conservative population subscribe to the prosperity doctrine, and follow one of those TV pastors.
 
Any number you could come up with would be a disturbingly high number, imo.
 
The silly part of the prosperity doctrine is that you're supposed to impoverish yourself now for riches in the afterlife.
 
3:44 PM
Prosperity doctrine is just so... antithetical to what I know of Christianity (growing up in Texas and going to Sunday school despite not being Christian because I grew up in Texas) that any number of people who identify as Christian and also follow prosperity doctrine is bothering to me.
 
Which, when genuine, is an absolutely selfless thing to do.
 
@Frank And yet also riches now is a "sign" that you'll be rewarded in the afterlife.
 
Problem is, the way you're impoverishing yourself is generally going to cause you to be a drain on society, and impoverish those around you.
 
Clearly because the pastor has a private jet plane, he's a man of God.
 
Not to mention, giving it to these TV preachers is just hypocrisy at it's worst.
 
3:46 PM
God speaks through this man because of his possession of four Lamborghinis.
 
The donations are leveraging a very specific passage, where it says that your donation will be returned to you, multiplied many times over.
Getting back to the traditional end of things, the prairies are home to many Hudderite and Amish communities, which take traditionalism to a whole new level.
 
Traditionalism for the sake of traditionalism, from my understanding
 
Specifically, trying to follow, "You must live in the world, but not of it".
Which can be extremely peaceful. But then you run into outliers where it's more of a cult-ish feeling and massive misogyny and paternalism.
 
Ash
4:00 PM
Yeaaaah.
 
So...I guess what I'm saying is that traditional settings have their place, and it's not really fair to tar them with all with the same brush.
 
why would you be applying tar with a brush in the first place?
tar's a bit too viscous to be brushable, iirc
 
Probably. But since when has that stopped colloquialisms? :P
I get a little irked when I see /r/Winnipeg users writing off all conservatives as idiots.
 
@Yuuki They use brushes when putting sealant on roofs and stuff
There was a Dirty Jobs episode about hot tar roofing and you just dunk it and slap it on to the surface and run the brush/mop around
 
4:40 PM
So although I can't find anything official, I guess if you want to vote today but have no way to get to the polls, you can call one of the people running in your district and they'll arrange a drive for you.
 
What's the individual limit in the federal presidential election again
is Seattle City Council unusual in having a $500 individual limit?
 
Somewhere around $5k split evenly for primary/general?
 
(we raised money for kshama sawant recently and I had to think about where I was at on that limit because SA convinced me to do a big but over 6 months contribution in a prior fundraiser)
 
 
1 hour later…
6:01 PM
They really should just hurry up and let us know who won
I know the polls aren't closed yet, but come on, I'm tired of waiting.
 
6:15 PM
I haven't even voted yet!
 
Well hurry up and cast your vote for the rhino party then @Frank!
 
There's a rhino party?
 
I really hope the Rhino Maxine wins
@Frank yes, and they even have their own Maxine Bernier
He's running in the same riding as that other Maxine
 
That would be an extremely funny result
 
I don't even know what their platform is.
 
6:21 PM
Taking canada off the gold standard, repealing the law of gravity, building taller schools to promote higher education, not keeping any of its promises if elected
things of that nature
 
@Frank They have quite a few promises, including but not limited to the things @Unionhawk beat me to
 
... is Canada even on the gold standard?
 
nationalizing tim hortons apparently
 
It's a satirical party
The Rhinoceros Party (French: Parti Rhinocéros) is a Canadian federal-level satirical political party, referred to in English Canada as the Second Rhinoceros Party. It was known as neorhino.ca until 2010, when the party changed names and registered a new party logo. It was created in Montreal on May 21, 2006, and recognized by Elections Canada as being eligible for registration on August 16, 2007, and an official political party on August 23, 2007. It is the successor to the Rhinoceros Party of Canada. The party was founded by François "Yo" Gourd, who was involved with the original incarnation...
> To provide more parking in the Maritimes and to create the world's largest parking lot respectively, paving the Bay of Fundy and the province of Manitoba
 
@Unionhawk I un-ironically support this if this means Tim Horton's goes back to its former quality.
 
6:22 PM
I really hope they pave over @Frank's house, that'll show him!
 
I went there when I visited Montreal and I didn't get the hype at all.
 
> Storing nuclear waste in the Senate: "After all, we've been storing political waste there for years"
@Yuuki It's certainly gotten worse, but honestly most of it is just marketing.
 
Only to find out when I returned stateside that some company bought Tim Horton's and that may be the reason for the decline in quality.
 
they used to have a bakery in every tim hortons, but now everything is baked elsewhere and shipped frozen to stores.
 
@Wipqozn They'll need to have good aim to hit both.
 
6:45 PM
Jacob Would and Burkman dragged Milo out of whatever hole he should go back to to checks notes accuse Ted Cruz of swinging?
 
someone described Jacob Wohl as a "snake oil salesman who is also looking to buy whatever snake oil you're selling" on a podcast I listened to today and, 100% accurate
 
@TimStone huh?
 
Yep, dunno
@Unionhawk Checks out
 
 
2 hours later…
9:05 PM
Right ring organizations trying to sabotage the election again cbc.ca/news/politics/…
> Elections Canada says it has received reports of misleading robocalls made to voters suggesting voting actually takes place on Tuesday, the day after election day.
> He provided CBC News with a screenshot of the time the call was made to his phone. When CBC called the number in the screenshot, it went to a voicemail message for a group that calls itself as Proudly New Brunswick.
> Proudly New Brunswick is affiliated with Canada Strong and Proud, a third-party group that opposes carbon taxes. CBC News has reached out to one of the directors of the group for comment.
 
@Wipqozn The frustrating part about this is that there won't be any penalties for this chicanery.
 
oh fun the president just called the constitution 'phony' whoo
 
10:13 PM
Good clip with Scheer being called out by a reporter twitter.com/vote4robgill/status/1186228628675289088?s=20
I really hope they don't form government
And more robocalls thinkpol.ca/2019/10/21/…
> These latest robocalls are raising fears of a repeat of the 2011 voter suppression scandal that saw a Conservative Party operative sent to prison.
> Conservatives are already facing an investigation into illegal robocalls in the province last month and could end up paying fines of up to $75m[2].
Jfc the PC party is corrupt. I forgot about how many of them have been jailed and fined for breaking election laws. How are they still allowed to be a party.
 
 
1 hour later…
11:28 PM
First results are in. Liberals currently have a majority government, which is to say they have 6 seats and everyone else has 0.
oh not hat's just "leading"
 
yeah no ridings have finished reporting yet.
 
I voted Green, because none of the major parties deserve to have it.
 
I went with NDP this year. Although that's how I usually vote. The last federal election is the only time I've voted for another party. It was a liberal vote, but it was really just a "please no more Stephen Harper" vote.
I did consider Green, though.
 
Our local NDP is a shitshow.
 
I mean I'm pretty sure my riding is going Liberal anyways, so it doesn't matter.
 
Ash
11:31 PM
I voted based on "what is most likely to not get me Scheer" and went with that
 
@Ash gotta love that FPTP
 
The current leader has had domestic abuse charges in his past.
 
Ash
I am super curious how Green does in my riding, because I feel like they might do really well
 
@Frank holy shit
 
Ash
@Wipqozn eeeeergh
 
11:32 PM
The previous leader reneged on his campaign promise not to raise the PST, and did it anyways.
 
Yeah there's a list of parties I'm willing to vote for but only if the local candidates seem good.
 
So...I'm gonna find it real hard to vote NDP, even federally.
 
@Frank Makes sense.
 
11:44 PM
The first decided seats are in
 
Ash
What's a good site to use to track it?
 
That didn't one box
newsinteractives.cbc.ca/…
 
Ash
Found it :)
 
That didn't link
 
Ash
It's all good, I found it in the chat
 
11:48 PM
But 3 seats elected, all liberal
 
Ash
I am so hoping the Green party gets a few seats
 
It's going to go very blue once Manitoba hits.
 
@Frank Most likely
 
Ash
I'm also curious where the non-urban parts of Ontario will end up
 
@Ash I'm sure may will retain her seat if nothing else
 

« first day (790 days earlier)      last day (48 days later) »