« first day (476 days earlier)      last day (337 days later) » 

12:00 AM
@murgatroid99 Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
 
this is just to not hear a single case, i wouldn't place as much emphasis on it as a written opinion
 
yeah Ohio's main reason for pushing the boundary is to be the state to cause the elimination of roe
 
it is still a good thing but i am not going to "welcome to the #resistance justice K" yet
 
That's literally what anti choice people say
 
@GodEmperorDune Definitely. I was thinking more "maybe the Republicans chose him because of a different conservative position he holds"
 
12:05 AM
@murgatroid99 yeah his position on some sort of mueller or presidential corruption showdown was probably why he was nominated
 
Or maybe he's just a random conservative judge chosen specifically because he's an obnoxious lying rapist because they knew it would rile up the Democrats which plays well with their base
 
given how much political capital that the senate had to burn to get him through, i don't think it was that haphazard
mcconnell initially told trump to pick someone else because of bush admin baggage
 
Did they really lose that much? They still have the Senate
 
In truth any of the absolute vampires of the federalist society would likely do exactly the same as coach K
In all things
 
@murgatroid99 time spent on kavanaugh was time that could've been spent confirming more lower court judges
 
12:11 AM
good thing that takes a lot of time and isn't just a free gift from our fearful minority leader
OH WAIT
 
Ash
@Wipqozn I love everything about this.
 
@Unionhawk just imagine how many more schumer would've given up
 
@GodEmperorDune christ
 
i dunno how he sailed through to get minority leader again while nancy pelosi had to jump through hoops to get speaker
 
because there aren't as many ambitious psychopaths to his right in the senate
 
12:24 AM
After 41 years and 11 billion miles, NASA's Voyager 2 has entered interstellar space https://nyti.ms/2ErPr5w
thats one way to escape eternal 2016
 
Ash
@GodEmperorDune True that.
 
12:54 AM
@Wipqozn queue the Trump attacks on his own pick
 
 
2 hours later…
2:59 AM
A few weeks ago, someone told me about Erik Prince's latest Blackwater business venture. Thus began one of the more unusual reporting trips @YahooNews has embarked on. A disco ball is involved. https://news.yahoo.com/blackwater-beef-anyone-private-security-companys-founder-now-sells-different-kind-muscle-190121887.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=tw
It's steaks, for some reason
Blackwater Steaks: Nothing Says Delicious Like War Crimes™
@Wipqozn Giant minatures are just normal sized 🤔
@GodEmperorDune I think that's why Trump picked him, definitely, regardless of whether or not that will indeed turn out in his favour. And they weren't going to back down from there
House GOP minority leader Kevin McCarthy states that if campaign finance crimes are a violation then lots of Congressmen (probably in his caucus) will have to go. https://t.co/LQw3G9zM8w
So uh, bye?
Sputtering mad as I read about the massive, smug cartel of generic drug execs responsible for price-fixing their profits through the roof and their customers to death. https://wapo.st/2rrKD7F?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.0bf324cbd1b4
 
3:29 AM
Know who would be a very good White House chief of staff (even though it would never be offered or accepted)? Rob Portman.
 
SCOOP: @RudyGiuliani is negotiating a security contract with the DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO through an Israeli firm that was paid $8M to block additional sanctions by the TRUMP administration against the DRC for corruption & human rights abuses. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/us/politics/sanctions-lobbyists-usa.html
 
@TimStone quiet part loud indeed
 
@Unionhawk Sorry Cillizza I'm all in on CoS Grimace
 
@Unionhawk uhhhhh wtf m8
@TimStone holy shit
@TimStone if gritty wasn't antifa he would be a great CoS
well i mean he'd still be a great CoS but trump is decidedly anti-antifa
 
@GodEmperorDune lol ffs Collins says she feels "vindicated" and uhhhh that wasn't the only issue at hand but alright then!
 
3:45 AM
@TimStone of course
the PAC is still coming for her
bribery pac or whatever she claimed it was
 
Based on the midterm results her chances aren't looking great, but we'll see
Really just should have voted no and gotten them to give her the money because of course they would have
 
A devastating @tabletmag article about self-dealing and bigotry within the Women’s March national organization, doubling as a close study of movements — and how people don’t just accidentally end up in charge of them. https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/276694/is-the-womens-march-melting-down
this might be the very first #resistance grift
 
4:28 AM
I will take Tablet with approximately 23 heaping tablespoons of salt
But this was a part of why we joined BLMC (now MABL) in not being there and instead going to an alternative event (people were just dismissing their concerns)
 
@Unionhawk why? I’m not familiar with tablet specifically
 
5:01 AM
@GodEmperorDune they did that one piece on Salazar tearing her family history apart or some shit
 
 
2 hours later…
6:55 AM
1/ Fox News' @TuckerCarlson has spent the last couple of years transforming from mainstream conservative to America’s leading white nationalist pundit. We wanted to know what white nationalists in some of the internet’s foulest corners thought of him. https://www.revealnews.org/blog/the-hate-report-what-white-nationalists-think-about-tucker-carlson/?utm_source=Reveal&utm_medium=social_media&utm_campaign=twitter
 
 
5 hours later…
11:51 AM
The Virginia House of Delegates, despite being independent for more than 200 years still places a ceremonial mace symbolising the British Crown’s authority in the chamber whenever it sits
 
@TimStone ahh, the good old "everyone else is doing this illegal thing so you can't prosecute for it"
 
 
3 hours later…
3:11 PM
Auditor general says IWK board 'did not effectively govern' hospital
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/auditor-general-iwk-health-centre-tracy-kitch-1.4940667
Shared via the CBC News Android App
IWK being the provincial children's hospital
 
 
1 hour later…
4:15 PM
The last time the IRS had as few auditors as it does now was 1953. The year Stalin died. The economy was 1/7 its size. @paulkiel & my big heave on how the IRS was strangled: https://www.propublica.org/article/how-the-irs-was-gutted
Lotta self-owns at this Google hearing from lawmakers who don't understand search ranking. Steve Chabot (R-Ohio) complains to @sundarpichai that to find any positive coverage of the ACA repeal and the GOP tax plan, you had to go "deep into the search results."
 
@GodEmperorDune Incidentally, everyone needs to remember that the IRS doesn't create tax law, it enforces tax law.
You don't like high taxes? The IRS has nothing to do with that.
 
@Yuuki exactly, the IRS are basically tax cops
NYT's Morning Briefing newsletter on our investigation of women being killed by intimate partners. There's an important conversation to be had about how media covers -- and doesn't -- domestic violence. Our piece, anchored by @katiezez, here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/investigations/domestic-violence-murders/
 
@Yuuki And one of the few government organizations that pays for itself.
 
4:33 PM
@puzzlepiece87 Until Congress passes a bill that demands the IRS pre-allocate full pension funds for all current and future employees.
I just heard a lead-in on the radio where they'd talk about how the USPS is losing money and whether it should be privatized.
[CENSORED], DO YOU NOT KNOW WHY THE USPS IS CURRENTLY A NEGATIVE-REVENUE AGENCY WHEN IT USED TO BE THE MOST PROFITABLE GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION??!!
AND THAT IT LITERALLY WENT FROM FIRST TO LAST WITHIN THE SPAN OF A SINGLE CONGRESSIONAL BILL?
Sorry, I'm a bit irritated about the whole mess surrounding the USPS.
And how it's gotten like no attention at all.
Despite being constantly used as political fodder.
 
@GodEmperorDune lol
I do love how "So close" the complaints are
 
@TimStone they also have said “I have used your apparatus” to mean that they searched something... it’s wild
 
@Yuuki There are other factors effecting the profitability of postal services, chief among them the shift from letter mail to packages.
 
@GodEmperorDune That's just odd
Also motion to rename him to Steve Chatbot
 
@TimStone lol I read it like that without realizing that wasn’t his name
 
4:43 PM
@MBraedley Even with package delivery, private companies like FedEx and UPS contract with the USPS for last-mile delivery because USPS already has existing infrastructure in places where it would otherwise be unprofitable to operate.
You privatize the USPS, rural and remote areas will never get another package again.
 
@Yuuki pretty much this
 
@Yuuki I think we're talking about 2 different points. Canada Post's profitability has fallen sharply with the decline of letter mail, and the margins on packages is low or even negative.
I suspect the same is happening to the USPS, Her Majesty's Royal Mail, and many other postal services.
 
Does Canada Post have to pre-fund 75 years of health benefits for every current and prospective employee?
Well, I suppose that point is moot.
 
@Yuuki No, I'll agree that is just a dumb thing for congress to require.
 
Given that healthcare is wildly different between the US and Canada.
 
4:48 PM
@MBraedley I know that the margins are not negative, but they are probably low
There may also be differences between the US and Canada based on population density, we have 10x more people in roughly the same space
 
@GodEmperorDune I don't have a source to back this up, but there are places in Canada where the margins are negative because Canada Post must charge an affordable rate, even if that rate is below cost.
 
But like the USPS, I imagine they more than make up for it in other areas.
Before, I wanna say 2006, the USPS was the most profitable government organization. It more than paid for itself, even with legally required affordable rates.
Then Congress passed the retirement pre-funding mandate and the USPS tanked hard.
 
5:37 PM
@Yuuki Just a bone to pick, just because a company is not showing profits it doesn't mean that it is going to bankrupt or something. There are some fiscal maneuvers that you can make legally that results in losses just for some government benefit or less taxes
I am not sure about USPS, but I know enough about accounting to know that profit doesn't necessarily mean good
 
That's the case for private companies where net losses might mean that they're investing capital into future infrastructure, but government entities are weird.
inb4 hahaha operate government like a business
 
To be fair
Government accounting is pretty weird
While in private companies we have one report, for government we have 3, that are different and are related to each other
At least here in Brazil is like this, but I think we follow an international thing or something
 
@puzzlepiece87 this is irrelevant either way imo because, for example, a $0 fare public transit system would obviously never pay for itself, but it can be recognized as a good without needing to fulfill a profit motive
 
5:56 PM
There's definitely a good point in how government services should be provided without some kind of underlying profit motivations.
 
6:22 PM
jury delivers sentencing recommendations against james fields today
recommended life + 419 in total broken down as twitter.com/socialistdogmom/status/1072544714061168641
 
@fredley lol so meta
@Unionhawk damn they couldn’t have found one more year somewhere?
 
technically they could have said 10 for hit and run
final sentencing is in march, this is just a recommendation
the minimum he could possibly see is 130ish
so
 
Worth 17 minutes to watch this. An amazing look at how Trump, Pelosi, and Schumer operate. Note who talks over whom, and who insists that productive debate begins with a shared set of facts. https://www.c-span.org/video/?455813-1/president-trump-democratic-leaders-clash-border-funding
 
Ash
@Unionhawk Served consecutively? Or in til he dies sort of thing?
 
@Ash I think so? I don't see the final result differing too much from this recommendation though
 
6:32 PM
@Unionhawk Oh absolutely, you're correct. I'm just supportive of people actually paying their taxes so we can fund much needed public services, so I was throwing in with the "support IRS" tenor of the conversation. To you and me, a government agency being profitable doesn't matter, but to theoretical others it does.
 
Ash
@Unionhawk Yeah, I am curious how the actual thing will play out. I mean I know after a point the years are meaningless because he won't live long enough but it's the principle of the thing
 
> Uber manager in March: “We shouldn’t be hitting things every 15,000 miles”
"They told me incidents like that happen all of the time," whistleblower wrote.
 
@puzzlepiece87 :/
 
> There were a lot of warning signs
"A car was damaged nearly every other day in February," Miller said.

Miller pointed to an incident in November 2017, when an Uber car had a "dangerous behavior" that nearly caused a crash. The driver notified his superiors about the problem, Miller wrote, but the report was ignored. A few days later Miller noticed the report and urged the team to investigate it.

But Miller says his request was ignored
Uber is such a terrible company
I don't feel bad at all proselytizing about Lyft, not because I trust Lyft or think they're good, but because it's nigh impossible to be as bad as Uber.
Uber and telecoms are playing in their own leagues as far as just completely screwing people over, and everyone else is going to have to be content with second place.
 
@puzzlepiece87 there are other companies working on self driving cars
 
6:39 PM
I'm don't like EA, Ubisoft, and Bethesda for various things too, but when gamers put them ahead of Uber and telecoms for worst company of the year I think that could use some correction.
Oh, speaking of needing correction
I should say that Uber and telecoms are actually the AAA (top minor leagues) of screwing people over, the majors would include major greenhouse gas emitters and companies like VW and Audi that were lying about their diesel emissions.
 
@puzzlepiece87 ubi and bethesda don't literally kill people
EA works people damn near close
 
Destroying the planet and poisoning people > killing maybe one or two people and hating your customers and employees and ethics in general in a truly talented way > destroying your employees via overwork and disrespecting your customers via very consumer-unfriendly practices
@GodEmperorDune Agreed
@GodEmperorDune I didn't understand the connection between these two comments but if you explain more I will understand better.
@GodEmperorDune Hmm, taking another shot at understanding this, I was talking more about present day rideshare than near-future self-driving.
But you are right.
> Miller noted that on the Friday before the email (March 9, 2018), an Uber prototype "drove on the sidewalk for several meters."
Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Less scary:
> "At Waymo I would not have been surprised if the entire fleet was immediately grounded for weeks or longer if a vehicle exhibited the same behavior," Miller wrote. Instead, he says, the incident "was essentially ignored" until Miller brought it to the attention of management.
 
Given that one meter is 3.3 feet, several meters is quite concerning!
 
@puzzlepiece87 ah my mistake, i thought we were talking about uber's self driving division
 
6:56 PM
@GodEmperorDune It's hard for me to proselytize for anyone's self-driving division right now, especially since I'm not in Phoenix xD
Whereas since a lot of people I know use rideshare to get home from bars or go to the airport, I'll throw in a "Hey, have you tried Lyft?"
 
Former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio is suing CNN, the Huffington Post, and Rolling Stone over how they referred to his conviction for criminal contempt of court, saying they defamed him https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5513262/12-10-18-Arpaio-v-Zucker-Complaint.pdf
@puzzlepiece87 ah, gotcha
lol he is mad that they don't say he was pardoned
 
7:33 PM
trump saw last night's comey interview and he is MAD ONLINE about it
 
@GodEmperorDune lol @ Pelosi being like "If you think you have the votes then let's do this, b"
 
@TimStone the after comments are great too
 
7:45 PM
SHS: everything was great
Pelosi/Schumer: lol wut was that tantrum
 
8:26 PM
@GodEmperorDune lol look it's everyone's favourite Nazi too:
After @SteveKingIA raises inscrutable concerns about iPhones, Google CEO Sunday Pichai patiently informs him, "Congressman, iPhone is made by a different company." https://t.co/TiNZ1t3VRo
 
@TimStone yeah i was wondering how much of these threads to quote tweet because they are all just self owns
i mean congresspeople, but still self owns
 
You'd think if you were going to bring up something that wasn't even related to the topic of the hearing it would at least be related to the company the hearing was with
 
like the one who wants the name of every googler that worked on search so he can inspect their social media to see if they are democrats
 
I'm not even sure offhand what committee this is but I hope to god Matt Gaetz isn't on it
Oh god damnit it's the Judiciary committee
That means Gohmert, Jordan, Gaetz, Gowdy, Lamar Smith
 
A year ago I would have felt bad for Pichai for having to go through that gauntlet
 
8:34 PM
@GodEmperorDune Oh apparently this was also Steve King
Just an amazingly dumb Nazi
 
@TimStone oh lol
 
Here we go... a senior government source says they expect a confidence vote imminently
Hahah the English are just like us, on fire
 
@puzzlepiece87 he also was like "some googlers let me know they didn't like our arbitration policy" and tweeters pointed out, it was 20000 googlers doing a walkout that let you know
@TimStone i am 100% confident that grabbing the mace was the right call
 
@GodEmperorDune He deserves the absolute waste of time and brain cells he's going through right now
 
There was some deeply stupid bipartisan nonsense in that hearing, but it’s underpinned by an emotional truth from both parties: Algorithms are predisposed to surfacing combativeness, feel-good vitriol and provincialism. It’s fixable but complicated, and it’ll make you no money.
 
8:48 PM
Incredible moment on Fox - a chyron is displayed that correctly reflects Trump's statement in the Oval Office that he will shut down the government "if we don't get what we want" before cutting back to host Melissa Francis who lies that Trump never said that https://t.co/K6SXgMicVS
Amazing
 
> Moments after returning to Capitol Hill after an Oval Office standoff with President Trump, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi questioned Trump’s manhood and said the border wall was a matter of masculine pride
He's going to react really well to that ;-)
 
@MadScientist She'll be fine, Trump likes her, after all. Or at the very least wants her to be speaker (which is reason enough for her not to be).
 
The White House just called for pool reporters to gather on short notice. That means we will see Trump again on camera soon, which was not expected. We don’t know what this will be, but watch these comments to see if POTUS tries to reframe his earlier shutdown comments.
lol
“I don’t mind owning that issue,” adds @POTUS, referring to a government shutdown.
He's doubling down, fantastic
Republicans we're trying to day Schumer tricked him into saying it so 👍
 
9:04 PM
@MBraedley his base hates her, so he will use her as a foil for the next two years
however she is also an extremely effective speaker so this will probably backfire on him
 
> Civil Servant: Sorry kids, Christmas is canceled this year.
Youngest Kid: But why, dad?
CS: Because our idiot president decided to shut down the government, so I'm not getting paid until some time in January, if we're lucky.
 
@MBraedley Who would you like to be speaker exactly?
 
Apropos of nothing and as much as I like what she's doing, if you say "Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez", I will literally facepalm.
She's a freshman representative. She has enough on her plate learning how to be a representative, she doesn't also need to be leading the Democratic House.
I realize you didn't reply, but just saying I have actually heard many people suggest her as Speaker.
 
@MBraedley Hmm on the flip side though NORAD might not be able to protect Santa from anti-aircraft fire rubs chin thoughtfully
 
@puzzlepiece87 I don't really have a preference.
@Yuuki I wasn't going to say her. Not sure she'd even be eligible for the job anyway.
@TimStone Military generally aren't furloughed.
 
9:17 PM
@MBraedley There aren't really any legal requirements for the position of Speaker of the House.
You don't even have to be a member of Congress.
 
@Yuuki i guess we need Jeb! then
 
@MBraedley I know but that's less funny and I'm not sure if Santa Watch is technically an issue of national security
 
Although members of the executive branch can't hold positions in the legislative.
 
@Yuuki I was think more along the lines of eligible to be president (she's not old enough), since they're in line right after the VP.
 
Which is why Trump's Cabinet appointees have to resign.
@MBraedley IIRC, you don't have to be eligible to run for election to become President via the 25th.
 
9:20 PM
@Yuuki hence, jeb!
 
> Bill C-76 is an omnibus bill that will reverse a number of changes wrought by the previous Conservative administration’s widely denounced Fair Elections Act. It will restore the use of voter information cards as a valid form of identification to prove residency and will do away with measures that critics argued were designed to benefit the deep-pocketed Tories.
> It will also extend the right to vote to ex-patriate Canadians, no matter how long they’ve lived outside the country, rather than the current five-year limit.
 
These two juxtaposed photos were retweeted over 35,000 times with the caption “perspective matters”. Perspective matters, and so do dates and places… because these two photos were taken on two different days in two different places, in Paris 🔍 1/8
 
> It will ban advocacy groups from ever using money from foreign entities to conduct partisan campaigns.
 
Ash
Ooooh all of that sounds good
 
> Conservative senators proposed four amendments to the bill Monday but all were defeated.
 
9:22 PM
@Yuuki Yes you do. Elaine Chao is ineligible since she's not a naturally born citizen. Although in the case of a Speaker that ineligible, it might just skip them.
 
That's also good
 
@TimStone i saw this in french and couldn't understand it
 
@Wipqozn Hmm this one is interesting!
 
@Wipqozn time to move to canada so i can vote for NDP forever
 
It makes sense for us, but because we tax you even if you don't live here, which makes less sense
 
9:23 PM
@GodEmperorDune Still need to be a citizen
 
(I mean it doesn't not make sense but it's an arguable position)
 
@MBraedley argh, rekt
 
@MBraedley Correct, if someone in the line of succession is ineligible, it would just skip them.
I'm a big fan of Ocasio-Cortez, but suggesting her as speaker is kinda silly
Pelosi is who we need
 
Ash
@GodEmperorDune If you got a reason to move here, you'd still have to wait 5 years for citizenship once you have PR
(and you have to be here for 3 of the last 5 years)
 
@BradC Until the Democrats have a person who is as good as Pelosi but hasn't been turned into a political boogeyman by the right, Pelosi is the Democrats' best option.
 
9:26 PM
@Ash i don't think i can go without voting for 5 years plus the PR wait time
 
@GodEmperorDune Voting's a hell of a drug, man.
 
@MBraedley I guess I'm kind of weirded out that you both interpreted Trump's troll of Democrats as him liking Pelosi and then decided that should be enough reason that she should not be speaker and then didn't have a plausible alternative.
 
@GodEmperorDune Yeah but once you can you'll have dual citizenship, and can do just that much more voting!
 
@Yuuki Doesn't matter. Anyone new would be made into a new bogeyman anyway (especially another woman), so why care about that?
 
@Wipqozn if i didn't have anything better to do, i'd go around the world collecting citizenships so i could vote all over the place
 
9:30 PM
I think the Democrats have done way too much worrying about what Republicans think of them. Hopefully the current/new batch has finally seen how stupid that is
 
@BradC we can hope
 
@GodEmperorDune Schumer seems like the major hold-out that hasn't clued in yet
Wish there was more of a contest in voting him back to minority leader
 
Ash
@GodEmperorDune the PR wait time would be at least a year so you're looking at 6 years
 
@BradC same
@Ash oh wow that is quick for PR
 
@BradC Well said.
 
9:31 PM
US PR is like a decade or so
or am i confusing things again
dammit
 
Ash
Okay, when I say that, I'm just saying for spousal sponsorship PR
Here they commit to processing non-complex PR apps within 12 months
(non-complex means no dependents, no previous marriages, etc)
 
@BradC The fact that there was a whole thing about replacing Pelosi whereas Schumer was ignored bothers me.
If you're all up in arms about "replacing the establishment", maybe replace the whole establishment.
 
@Yuuki i mean it was a sexism play that failed because pelosi is a damn good politician
 
@Yuuki Yep, I agree. Giving it serious consideration is like giving into the (almost entirely sexist, almost entirely content-free) smears from the right.
@Yuuki If Trump has taught us anything (and oh boy I hope he's taught us something), it is that having someone with experience at the job (and brains, and a conscience) isn't that bad of an idea
I'm no longer convinced that "anti-establishment" is a meaningful term, if it isn't more carefully defined
 
@BradC who knew
 
9:41 PM
I mean, there's something to be said about supplanting the orthodoxy, but maybe don't do it with an actual eggplant.
 
@BradC its a meaningful term, just doesn't really provide much info about what the person would replace the establishment with
 
@Yuuki lol, yep.
The comic I keep coming back to is the character saying "I want something different", then destroying the room, then the final panel saying "oh no..."
Found it. Lol, the strip is literally titled "oh no", and has different jokes but the same punchline
 
Yeah, the artist has a whole series of oh no comics.
 
@BradC oh no
 
9:48 PM
yep, posted the day after the 2016 election:
the larger original:
lol, that's not larger!
oh no
 
oh no
 
Fun fact, due to the legislative-executive exclusivity clause, it is possible for a representative who is Speaker or President pro tempore of the Senate to be unseated from office via the President and Vice President temporarily resigning their office (due to disability, etc.)
And then the President and VP could resume their office and then the representative is out of a job.
 
@Yuuki i thought VP was automatically President pro tempore of the Senate
 
10:03 PM
@GodEmperorDune VP is President of the Senate.
You can't really be a temporary you.
 
@Yuuki They did that on the ABC show "Designated Survivor", when the VP had previously resigned, and the President hit some mental health trouble
Brought in the Speaker (from the opposing party) as acting President for a couple weeks
 
@BradC And then when the President came back, what happened?
Or is that part of the beginning where everyone dies?
 
@Yuuki No, this was during season 2, if I remember correctly
When the president came back, the former speaker retired
(It was tense and interesting, because nobody in the White House was sure what the acting President would do, with regard to some pretty tense international situations that were developing at the time)
 
@BradC I wouldn't put that show anywhere close to reality ;-)
 
But in the end it worked out pretty well for Kirkman (the President), because it showed he put the country over party. But he pretty quickly appointed a VP in case he was out of commission again!
 
10:08 PM
The West Wing did a similar thing though, also in a situation without a VP
 
@MadScientist wait.....
am I mixing up my shows??
(checking the episode summary)
 
Not really.
The West Wing case happened differently enough that your description disqualifies it from being a West Wing episode.
 
No, it's not identical. But it's very similar
 
I think I was thinking about West Wing, because it was John Goodman:
"Twenty Five" is the 88th episode and the season four finale of the American television series The West Wing. It takes its title from the Twenty-fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which deals with the presidential line of succession. == Plot == Continuing the storyline begun in the previous episode, a massive manhunt begins for President Bartlet's youngest daughter, Zoey, but the Secret Service's only clue is provided when Charlie Young remembers that Zoey's boyfriend, Jean-Paul, wanted her to take ecstasy at her graduation party. The Secret Service discovers that what Jean-Paul...
 
Inevitably, it seems that a TV show where the White House features prominently will deal with succession issues.
IIRC, succession featured in House of Cards and Scandal as well.
 
10:17 PM
@Yuuki yes, it was a major plot arc in house of cards
 
Drat. There was plenty of VP/succession/25th amendment drama in Designated Survivor, but browsing over the recaps, I think the plot line I was describing was from West Wing
Another interesting comparison that occurred to me watching those two shows:
West Wing always seems like rooms and hallways in the White House were small and cramped and crowded with busy people
Designated Survivor scenes always seemed to take place in expansive grand spaces mostly wide open (even the hallways)
Very different visual feel.
Made me wonder which was closer to accurate
 
the West Wing is rather cramped in reality, as far as I've read
 
@MadScientist That's kind of what I suspected. I did a tour as a kid once in (does the math) 1979 maybe? Don't remember much
Plus I was smaller then, so it probably looked larger :)
Uh... no.
"Biden Should Run on a Unity Ticket With Romney"
 
@BradC written by a Republican
 
@MadScientist Yep. A Republican on the "Biden Institute Policy Advisory Board"?!?
 
10:31 PM
@MadScientist thats what i've read as well
there are a few corridors that are wide but most of it is pretty cramped
 
10:46 PM
@BradC @Unionhawk Definitely not written by my mortal enemies
 
11:24 PM
NEW: The white Columbia student caught on video shouting about how white people are “the best thing that ever happened” finally speaks, saying he is "not racist" https://thebea.st/2RZarU8
Really bruh?
also the hannah gadsby thing i posted the other day discusses this phenomenon quite well
tl;dr: you don't get to draw your own lines because inevitably you always draw yourself on the "good" side of the line
Dec 8 at 7:11, by GodEmperorDune
The problem with ‘good men,’ according to comedian @Hannahgadsby https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/12/06/hannah-gadsby-good-men-monologue-misogyny-hollywood/?fbclid=IwAR3gFO6twb8ns3YhQVwxRD9sQ-rEYHaWr3tTMsgGZ6tOFvLyPwxzNiGDVMw&noredirect=on&utm_term=.ffbea075e0ed @socwomen
And in other news
Alright, today is the day we get to find out if I was right or wrong about the level of dysfunction necessary for the failures that allowed the #Equifax breach to occur. Why today? Because the House Oversight report has been released. Merry Christmas! https://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Equifax-Report.pdf https://twitter.com/sawaba/status/916067632415170560
this thread is pretty whew
 
11:46 PM
Trump talking over Pelosi: "We need border security. We need border security." Nancy Pelosi: "Of course we do." Trump: "We need the wall....Chuck did you want to say something?" Chuck: The WaPo gives you pinocchios for misstatements on the wall.
hhhhhhh
 
@Unionhawk nancy is the best we've got now
cuck schumer... no comment
According to sources, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) and her advisers are reaching out to staffers for a possible 2020 presidential bid https://thebea.st/2RLoInj
@TimStone are your veins ready?
 
lol the fuck she is
She can get right out of here with that nonsense
 
@TimStone if trump can do cirmes with vlad, why can't tulsi do it with her buddy assad?
 
@GodEmperorDune in chronological order: no we don't, no we don't, no, no, what?
 
@Unionhawk no one in that room was gonna go "actually how about open borders"
 

« first day (476 days earlier)      last day (337 days later) »