« first day (889 days earlier)      last day (25 days later) » 

3:04 AM
> The post in question, originally posted on King's Facebook page and website, encouraged donors to "fund our memes." The Facebook post was removed as of Monday evening, and the corresponding page on his website could not be reached.
> Andrew denies claims he had sex with a 17-year-old girl procured by Epstein and said in November he was "willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations, if required."

But New York attorney Geoffrey Berman, who is leading an investigation into possible co-conspirators of Epstein's, said his office and the FBI had not heard from Andrew despite his offer to cooperate.
 
 
3 hours later…
 
3 hours later…
9:23 AM
@Memor-X That's the entire reason why Trump wanted to smear Biden: he doesn't want him to make it through the primaries, because Biden is one of the biggest names in the primary: Previous VP, strong backing from the Democratic old guard, well known among the voterbase. Trump wants Bernie Sanders to win because the classic GOP tactics work really well against him. Even Russia is supporting Sanders because they know Trump can win from Sanders.
@Memor-X Hang on, a Pornhub Premium sub is $30? Or did you just make up a number?
 
@Nzall i assume made up
@Nzall ahhhhhh
i thought it was to get dirt ready for later
 
No, that's a common misconception. Elections in the USA have changed to be closer to what you normally have in dictatorships: the ruling party tries to disenfranchise voters and make it harder to vote for opposition voters, while influencing the primaries of the opposition parties so the candidate you're most capable of winning against becomes your opponent. It's just that usually this happens covertly, while this time Trump made some massive blunders
 
@Nzall offensive words that could be used out of context, such as the N word. lol, who is she kidding
 
@Memor-X I genuinely want to know what context she would consider it okay to use the N-word, apart from dumb examples to reporters about offensive words that could be used out of context
Like, you wouldn't even write a book report about Huckleberry Finn using that word
 
 
3 hours later…
12:30 PM
@Nzall joe biden also sucks, and the idea that he's most likely to win the general is not consistent with polling
 
@Unionhawk I would expect that after 2016 people would be more skeptical of polls
but even if they're accurate, Trump still wants Sanders to win the primaries because the GOP dirty tactics and general weariness of socialism will greatly hinder Sanders
 
I also want Bernie Sanders to win because this country sucks
 
Unrelated, but it's kinda funny to see Fox suddenly call for witnesses after the Bolton bombshell
 
@Unionhawk I also want Bernie Sanders to win, but tbh, my preference would be AOC to win via write in ballots.
 
@Wipqozn AOC can't even legally become president until 2024
 
12:43 PM
@Nzall It doesn't mean it can't be my preference
 
a candidate needs to be at least 35 years old, and she doesn't turn 35 until 13th of October 2024
 
Yeah, but obviously "Must be 35" doesn't mean much. Look at Trump.
Anyways, not going to get into a debate about that, BUT, I just think she'd do a good job.
Also she likes video games and also I like video games too!
So gamers will finally stopped being oppressed.
 
@Wipqozn I don't disagree that she would be a suitable president, but she would also be the youngest president ever, and one of the youngest possible presidents ever
 
 
1 hour later…
2:44 PM
> Netanyahu has insisted he is innocent, calling the investigations an "attempted coup" driven by the left and the media.
Damn that sounds exactly like what Trump says
 
@Stormblessed Right wing dictators tend to be samey
 
If you're suggesting the US is a dictatorship that's wrong lol
 
> Prosecutors say that in the most serious case, known as Case 4000, Netanyahu advanced regulatory benefits worth more than 1 billion shekels (approximately $280 million) to his friend, millionaire Shaul Elovitch, who owned the Walla! News website as part of his control of the Bezeq telecommunications company.
> Prosecutors say that in exchange Netanyahu, who also served at that time as Israel's Minister of Communications, received favorable news coverage on Walla! as well as influence over the choice of stories and language used.
@GnomeSlice yeah I think that people who pretend Trump is a dictator are making dictators seem much less bad
He maybe wants to be one though
 
🙄
 
> The US ambassador to Hungary has said Donald Trump would “love to have the situation” Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán has while discussing the nation’s so-called “illiberal democracy.”
Remember this?
 
2:52 PM
Trump's defense team literally argued this week that it would be unconstitutional to impeach him. And that the House and Senate have no right to oversight, and that the Courts don't have the right to mediate any dispute between them
 
@GnomeSlice Trump is acting like a dictator. he is abusive of the free press, attempting to interfere in elections through a myriad of ways, obstructing the opposition that's trying to hold him accountable, packing the courts with his own cronies to impact future policy for decades to come and doing his best to ignore existing laws, up to and including the constitution
 
They're literally arguing to have authoritarian powers
 
If you looked at the current US politics as an external neutral spectator, you're seeing clear signs of authoritarianism
 
And we all know that if (when) he gets acquitted by the ass-kissing senate GOP, Trump will take it to mean that he was right to think that as President he can do whatever the fuck he wants and nobody can stop him.
And he'll be right.
 
The intent is there, to some extent
Why the fuck do so many people bother to reply with so much shit every time Hillary Clinton tweets literally anything? 2016 was over three years ago
 
3:01 PM
@Stormblessed It's still eternal 2016 though
 
Why to ppl bother with twitter period?
 
"How well would our institutions stand up to Trump" is a debate as old as time, but I think at this point, after 3 years of him purging the ranks of anyone with even the remotest morals and ability to stand up for the truth and for the law, and replacing them with his loyal cronies, that the answer is: "much worse than we feared".
Came out last night, but didn't see this linked above - more dirt from Bolton's book:
 
lmao
 
> “Bolton wrote in the manuscript that Mr. Barr singled out Mr. Trump’s conversations with Mr. Xi about the Chinese telecommunications firm ZTE, which agreed in 2017 to plead guilty and pay heavy fines for violating American sanctions on doing business with North Korea, Iran and other countries. A year later, Mr. Trump lifted the sanctions over objections from his own advisers and Republican lawmakers,” the Times reports.
 
Which, of course he was
Anyone remotely familiar with anything he's ever said knows that's exactly what he would do
 
3:10 PM
> “Mr. Barr also cited remarks Mr. Trump made to Mr. Erdogan in 2018 about the investigation of Halkbank, Turkey’s second-largest state-owned bank. The Justice Department was scrutinizing Halkbank on fraud and money-laundering charges for helping Iran evade sanctions imposed by the Treasury Department.” After multiple personal appeals to Trump to intercede in the matter, Erdogan told reporters in 2018 that Trump had agreed help resolve the investigation.
 
Because he doesn't understand at all
 
Yep
Barr's denials are always so oddly narrow:
> “There was no discussion of ‘personal favors’ or ‘undue influence’ on investigations, nor did Attorney General Barr state that the President’s conversations with foreign leaders was improper,” a Justice Department spokeswoman said in a statement Tuesday.
 
lol
 
So, you're denying that anyone used the literal phrase "personal favors"? Is that what you're saying, Barr, you lying crony?
So maybe someone actually used the phrase "favors of a personal concern"? Is that what you're saying?
 
Yeah, it's basically just saying that's not how Barr framed it even though that's exactly what it was, which makes sense given Barr seems knees-deep in Trumpism
Like you can talk about a robbery as if you got a bunch of stuff for free, but everyone understands what you're referring to
 
3:14 PM
@TimStone Yep. It's the same defense as "Trump never said he was entering into a quid-pro-quo with Ukraine" which... wouldn't have been how he would say it anyway
And who f'ing cares that the defendant denies the charges? Like that carries any importance at all
 
To be fair, it hasn't yet gotten clearance approval to be published yet
Although I've heard people saying that Trump's discussions of it, even on twitter, are going to make it very difficult for him to successfully claim executive privilege about the conversations
 
It's definitely done though, so I can't imagine Bolton would let a little thing like rules, which apparently no one has to abide by anymore, get in the way of making a quick buck
 
@TimStone I think the rules about security clearance have some pretty big teeth, though. All this public discussion and leaks clearly complicate matters, but no, I think any former official can get into legitimate trouble printing a book without it being cleared
 
If the substance of it is just that the president did crimes though it seems hard to argue in court that there was a threat to national security
I would suspect at this point any of the more mundane items would have been brought up and addressed
 
3:28 PM
@TimStone Fully agree, just pushing back on your "eh, he'll flout the rules, nobody will care" which just isn't true in this case, if anything in the book really is classified
 
Right, I meant it more in the sense that I can't see them outright blocking it for any legitimate reason
So given that it would seem unlikely it wouldn't get published anyway
In any case though it seems kind of not great for the defense that Graham is even entertaining this idea?
 
Right. Especially at this point when deeming anything classified would be (legitimately) questioned as an extension of the political coverup
@TimStone Schiff was on Maddow the other day, he was asked about the book, and said he'd prefer to subpoena Bolton's contemporaneous notes rather than a worked-over manuscript
Which makes a lot of sense to me
 
@TimStone The reporter was threatened with criminal charges for investigating and publishing the story
> Authorities in Wisconsin did not want you to read this story. First a prosecutor sought a gag order after I reached out seeking comment. Then a state agency sent me a cease and desist order warning of potential criminal charges. - @Mike_Hixenbaugh
 
@TimStone jfc indeed
 
3:38 PM
@BradC Yeah, just absolutely wild. Mistakes happen, the fact that the state works so hard to pretend they don't should really bother more people!
 
If anyone should be fired, it's that incompetent nurse that can't tell a birthmark from a bruise
 
@TimStone 🤔
 
4:02 PM
@TimStone And the Darwin Awards go to...
 
> “If you could show me that Trump actually was engaging in a quid pro quo, outside the phone call,” Graham said, “that would be very disturbing.”
 
@BradC Even then he hedges, it "would be very disturbing" but he's not going to commit to do anything about it.
 
Which, of course, they have to walk back now, because of course there was a quid-pro-quo!
 
@BradC See, that's the beauty of "very disturbing". All he has to say is "I'm disturbed" and then go back to sleep at the wheel.
 
@Yuuki yep. "so disturbed.... zzzzzz...."
 
4:22 PM
> US is evacuating Americans from Wuhan as death toll from new coronavirus exceeds 100 in China
uhhh
Not sure that's the right idea.
Unless you're going to evacuate them into quarantine.
 
@Yuuki It depends on whether they'll then put them into quarantine in the US
 
@Yuuki It's a chinese illness, it couldn't possibly affect americans /s
 
I'm honestly a little surprised that the numbers aren't any higher because this is quite literally the worst time of the year for there to be a pathogenic outbreak in China.
 
Problem is that at this point it's nearly impossible to properly quarantine people because you'd need to do a pretty invasive throat swab on everyone and then wait a couple hours to verify the diagnosis, especially if they're asymptomatic
 
It's right around Spring Festival, which is generally considered the most important Chinese holiday.
 
4:25 PM
@Yuuki Yeah, China canceled most Chinese New Year events
So that definitely makes it so people are slightly less likely to infect others
But yeah, this would be like a pathogenic outbreak in the US during Thanksgiving, or during Spring Break
 
Pretty much the entire country would be traveling. It's the largest periodic human migration event, with numbers greater than the entire population of the US in transit in previous totals.
@Nzall Almost definitely worse because the US has mostly settled after its industrial revolution while China's still going through theirs.
 
4:51 PM
@TimStone I'm now curious as to how those gung-ho military Facebook pages that were supporting Gallagher will read with this news.
 
5:07 PM
so, so sad and concerning! :D :D :D
 
5:23 PM
@BradC Related: coronavirus threatens Apple's plans to produce more iPhones
yeah, maybe not the most concerning news regarding the viral outbreak, buddy
 
@TimStone wow. That's just... wow
 
6:13 PM
>_>
 
yeah this is pretty much what I expected
 
I don't even know what to say other than this is an extremely Jared plan
 
except I think donald trump may be genuinely surprised when they get a "don't fucking insult me with this"
 
@TimStone the alternative is some insurance deal
 
6:18 PM
Well, there are three choices, but the landlord gets to pick
I'm unclear why, given that, they'd go with anything but that option then
Which sucks because it involves a non-refundable fee, since it's insurance
 
a security deposit you in theory get back at the end of your lease
"in theory" anyway
 
Yeah
 
see the landlord forum posts about like "I'm looking for an excuse to keep the deposit but I can't find one what do", my grandmother getting charged for replacing the carpet in the apartment she just moved out of (the carpet was fine)
 
I'm also confused by one of the options that's "a reduced security deposit no more than the equivalent of 50 percent of the first month's rent"
If the landlord was going to do that they could have just done that to begin with, lol
But they won't because they're a landlord
lol thanks Joe great contribution
 
7:03 PM
Detailed breakdown of the Trump team's defense strategy and arguments yesterday:
> Ken Starr argued that impeachment is no longer a constitutional provision that should be applied to a president. Michael Purpura argued that nobody ever heard Trump order a quid pro quo. Jane Raskin argued that Rudy Giuliani was a distraction, but also a great guy who did nothing wrong. Patrick Philbin argued that presidents never have to comply with congressional subpoenas they don’t like. Pam Bondi argued that corruption is rampant in Ukraine because of Joe and Hunter Biden.
> Eric Herschman argued that… well, he held a MAGA rally from the well of the Senate and argued that President Barack Obama should be impeached. Robert Ray argued that presidents cannot be prosecuted. And finally, Alan Dershowtiz argued that abuse of power is not an impeachable offense, while self-owning the fact that essentially no credible legal scholars agree with him.
> One would be forgiven for thinking all the legal gibberish was merely designed to distract and confuse those who tuned into the trial.
(ding ding!!)
 
7:24 PM
Is it just me or is the usage of the term "virtue signaling" now it's own kind of virtue signaling?
Like I see that in a comment somewhere and I sorta immediately feel like I know something about the writer.
 
It's not just you.
 
@Yuuki So often its used to impugn motives; to suggest someone is bringing up (some issue) for reasons other than because they are sincerely concerned about it
 
@BradC Well then I'm virtue signaling all the time because I don't have a single candle or Babybel cheese in my house.
@BradC There are crowds to see John Kelly?
 
@Yuuki lol, I guess?
> Kelly spoke Monday at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall as part of the Ringling College Library Association Town Hall lecture series. The general worked with Bolton during his time as chief of staff, which ended in early 2019. Kelly said Bolton is an honest person.
"He's a warmonger, sure, but at least he's an honest one."
(made up quote by me, not by Kelly)
 
Well, now my pun makes a lot less sense now that I looked it up and it's not likely that "sincerely" derives from "sine cera".
 
7:39 PM
> BREAKING NEWS (NEW YORK TIMES): Trump Appears to Be Resigned to the Senate Hearing From Witnesses
(breaking, about an hour ago... I'm behind on my twitter timeline)
(original report was 7.3, about 15 minutes ago)
holy moley, 7.7 is insane
> Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issues tsunami alert for Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and Cuba
Looks like they'll have to revise the largest earthquakes by year list on Wikipedia
 
8:06 PM
And, the defense rests.
The're going to do 8hrs of questions tomorrow, and 8hrs on Thursday, alternating between sides
> A legal boomerang. If the White House went to court claiming executive privilege, they could very well end up with a federal court quickly deciding the President's actions involve crimes. My new article with Andrew Weissmann - Ryan Goodman (@rgoodlaw)
(Meta aside: Are we ever going to get back the auto-expansion of twitter links? I hate just posting a blind link, and manually constructing a quoted format is annoyingly labor intensive.)
 
I'm going to guess "no".
It's more work (updating in response to Twitter API changes) in return for the kinds of gain that the current management doesn't seem to care for (community-facing).
 
@BradC (Meta meta aside: Given the feeling that the company cares more about Twitter than about Meta which I will not otherwise comment on, clearly it should be top priority)
 
> But there is another threshold issue: if the proposed testimony involves evidence of criminal activity (more commonly understood as the “crime-fraud” exception in the context of attorney-client privilege).
 
I mean, Chat was already a low to non-existent priority before the current staff changes.
 
> Judges even warn counsel away from contesting the issue in these kinds of situations by noting that the court would then be compelled to determine if the relevant communications involved criminal activity.
 
@TimStone Wait, is her handle really Papadopouloss?
 
Yes, lol
 
goddamn, when your mom has a more zoomer twitter handle than you
 
8:30 PM
@TimStone Part of me is slightly worried at how much Democrats seem to like to use the Republicans own-goaling as a persuasive argument.
 
8:52 PM
The hell? 🤨
fjlkdsfalsdldsffl
> Jared Kushner to @camanpour: "It's a big opportunity for the Palestinians. They have a perfect track record of blowing every opportunity they've had in their past, but perhaps maybe their leadership will..do what's best to try to make the Palestinian people's lives better"
Oh my goooooood
 
JARED WHY ARE THEIR LIVES BAD NOW JARED
JARED
PLEASE TELL ME
WHOSE FAULT IS THAT JARED
"stop hitting yourself" ass
 
@TimStone Wait, didn't Israel just take that map, tuck it under their arm, and run for the endzone??
@TimStone See your earlier link above
 
@Unionhawk It's a mystery!
 
9:17 PM
Is there a map with the proposed boundaries?
(and a treaty brief for the formalities of a Palestine state?)
 
It's the image I posted somewhere up there
 
That looks like an extremer gerrymandered voting district
Is a district contiguous if you build a tunnel between two parts inquiring minds want to know
 
That map seems... not ideal
 
> “We categorically reject this deal,” says Palestinian leader Abbas of Trump’s Mideast Peace Plan, adding “We will not kneel down...Annexation of 30% of our territory is nonsense.”
 
9:20 PM
yeah no shit
 
from Senator Chris Murphy:
> Any claim that this plan envisions a Palestinian state is just false. The plan allows Israel to control all security matters inside the Palestinian "state", and thus it's not a state at all.
I like the #PeaceSham hashtag
 
@TimStone It's funny because a flamethrower accurately describes the state of the situation at hand.
 
It's just such a blatantly bad faith proposal, which is not surprising but I would simply not embarrass myself like that, likely due to having a capacity for shame
 
it's on par with every so-called "peace deal"
 
@TimStone You say that now but when you're a Delaware refugee then you'll change your tune:
(a climate migration map from Ars Technica, blue is counties losing land to sea rise, red is population % increase due to migration)
(No, Florida won't become an island, for some reason they did it so that if a county loses any land the entire county is blue)
But yes, what I'm taking away from this is that Delaware is the new Atlantis.
 
9:27 PM
18-34
Sanders 53%
Warren 23%
Buttigieg 4%
Yang 4%
Biden 3%
Bloomberg 2%

65+
Biden 36%
Bloomberg 14%
Klobuchar 10%
Warren 9%
Buttigieg 7%
Sanders 7%
 
@TimStone Is a 30-40km tunnel even feasible?
 
@puzzlepiece87 lol I appreciate the depth of this take
 
this is the fundamental problem with a "two state solution"
it's always going to be something like this
 
@MBraedley I'm sure Jared's checks notes real estate expertise explored this issue
 
and is, therefore, not a solution
 
9:30 PM
But the Chunnel is 50 km so I guess so, given the right conditions?
There are all the other reasons tunnels in a conflict zone seem Less Than Ideal, but
@puzzlepiece87 This would be reassuring if not for the fact that Delaware has little change in elevation :|
 
@TimStone yeah but the chunnel also links two separate countries not two parts of one country
 
Right it remains dumb, but @MBraedley was talking about the physical feasibility
 
and also the legal fun that could be had, does palestine control the tunnel or does israel
how do subsurface rights come into play
 
I think technically the parameters of the deal say israel controls the whole thing
so
how is that different from the status quo?
idk
 
@puzzlepiece87 They say "lose land" but how much land lost?
Probably not a question that can really be answered right off the bat.
 
9:37 PM
Oh I don't know the difference between feet and inches, it'll just ruin the beach economy, whew
Narrator: It was in no way okay
 
I mean, my house was waterfront property for a couple days about checks notes two and half years back.
Well, not my house.
 
@Yuuki Not sure, good question. I didn't dig into this map too much besides for joking purposes. Since we're going to do fuck all to actually prepare for climate change anyway, I am not too emotionally invested in this modeling. :(
 
Yeah, you can check out the topographic maps of any given region and figure it out, I guess
 
10:47 PM
@Stormblessed why do you think they are so chummy
speaking of which
quite sure he's only talked to Netanyahu about this and not to Abbas which sorta doesn't make it sound like it's going to be a fair two state solution and more "Netanyahu gets a say what he wants, Abbas has to just accept it"
@BradC *looks at Ukraine Call Transcript* "can you do us a favor"
one can argue if Trump was using the Royal we
@TimStone everyone, stop, don't talk them out of it. this is perfect
if QAnons want to ignore the safety warnings because it's some conspiracy and off themselves, yet them. stupid mother nature always find a way
 
11:43 PM
@BradC what? that their choices are Trump's Money or Trump's Money? thought that was the plan all along
@Memor-X now realizing that @TimStone already posted it
@TimStone so i guess Jared Kushner has done exactly what everyone has been saying, absolutely nothing
because quite sure this was his project
either he's done fuck all or he's done all the work and Trump is taking it claiming it as his work
 

« first day (889 days earlier)      last day (25 days later) »