« first day (784 days earlier)      last day (35 days later) » 

12:41 AM
The police officer who killed Atatiana Jefferson in her own home has been charged with murder
 
 
2 hours later…
Ash
2:24 AM
@TimStone Good.
 
3:04 AM
@TimStone What are the odds on him getting ten years as well?
 
 
2 hours later…
 
7 hours later…
12:23 PM
@Yuuki I want to not be pessimistic, but…yeah :/
 
 
2 hours later…
@Memor-X lol because the villain's plan in Kingsman revolves around dialing up everyone's vitriolic hate so they go into a rage frenzy. Sound familiar?
(And also, Colin Firth in that particular scene is being mind-controlled by said rage frenzy)
 
@Yuuki Also, Colin Firth's character gets killed by the big bad after that brawl
Which in this case might be considered the voter or congress? I dunno
 
2:43 PM
(please o please)
> PPP’s newest Maine poll finds that Susan Collins is in trouble for reelection…and that she’s likely to find herself in more trouble no matter what side of impeachment she comes down on.
This is why the House needs to impeach regardless of what they think the Senate will do
Put all of them on the record
 
3:45 PM
Hey, maybe if a nice white family describes their horrible treatment under ICE, something might eventually be done??
 
@BradC Collateral damage?
 
oh shit
> Officials told the Connorses that their son was “a bit young” to be at the center, and if they wanted they could sign papers allowing him to be separated from them, the statement said.
yeah, that's a big fat NO
sure, I'll hand over my 3-month old infant! no problem!
 
@BradC it's america... you're probably not getting the kid back either
 
According to the story, they're still in detention
Or were, as of Monday morning
> Staff, she added, confiscated her son's formula for three days, as well as his teething powder, and would only provide "disgusting" blankets that smelled "like a dead dog". They say the baby's skin is now rough and blotchy and he appears to have an eye infection.
 
4:25 PM
Glad to see that an increasing number of former and current officials are willing to testify, despite the White House's toothless attempts to prevent them from doing so
 
4:55 PM
@BradC As an aside I am kind of curious where they crossed in a car
Ah okay, there is a section where there are two parallel roads on either side of the border, maybe if they went off the road and onto the other due to the animal?
Anyway disband ICE & CBP
 
oh did we post that thing about bolton calling giuliani a "hand grenade"?
because lord knows, @TimStone needs that tidbit of Bolton being the smart guy in the room injected into his veins
 
I don't know if it was posted but I did see it earlier, lol
 
5:54 PM
@GnomeSlice arguably, algae
but algae isn't on any endangered species lists as far as i know
 
Arguably, humans, because without us there would be nobody to assign importance to things
 
6:09 PM
ants probably think their queens are the most important living things on earth without human input
 
I don't think that article was written by ants. Or bees
 
@puzzlepiece87 I mean, I wish that'd apply to some other people who have mounting legal expenses...
 
@Yuuki Exactly!
 
y'know, people who don't have billions of dollars of net worth
 
6:21 PM
The model is based solely on economic factors
But we already know that Trump's approval would/should be much much higher than it is, based on the economy.
Except for, you know, everything else
 
"We'll get rid of ISIS." - Man who brought back ISIS
 
6:42 PM
lol his lawyer who has just now quit as his lawyer just sent a letter to Congress telling them Rudy won't turn over subpoenaed materials
And he's out here "I don't need a criminal lawyer", buddy
 
I suppose we should be happy that we're stress-testing all government functions.
To help with troubleshooting future "well, what if I just do what I want to anyways" problems.
 
Should we test inherent contempt powers by locking up Rudy Giuliani? Yes, absolutely, it is extremely funny
 
"so can congress actually get the sergeant-in-arms to arrest the president's personal lawyer?" I'm willing to watch that political experiment.
 
> The IED was described by authorities as a soda bottle type device covered in duct tape.
 
@Yuuki I mean that last part might become less of an issue soon
 
6:55 PM
so... like "drop some mentos into diet coke and cap it really fast and run away" kind of "improvised explosive" ??
 
An actual explosive device or did someone left one of those dry ice water bottle things lying around?
 
> “Well, I don’t know. I haven’t spoken to Rudy,” Trump said as he left the White House for a trip to Louisiana, adding that the two spoke briefly on Thursday. “He’s a very good attorney, and he has been my attorney. Yeah, sure.”
 
@Yuuki yeah, that's what I was thinking. Not that they're safe, but calling it an "IED" is kinda... not the most accurate.
 
@TimStone tfw you haven't spoken to your attorney in four days while congress is holding hearings to decide whether to impeach you
 
But they're not giving much detail yet
Ha. The NY Times had an opinion piece bemoaning the lack of options Democrats are giving potential GOP flippers. Turns out, it was written by the former Online Media Director for GOP House Leadership under Vice-President Mike Pence
GOP support for Gabbard as the Democratic nominee is just... weird. Not sure if its trolling, or if its trying to fracture Democratic support, or if its truly their opinion of a "least objectionable" candidate
 
7:07 PM
Hmm, that is a good question. Given the control they have over information coming into the country anyway, these were rather minor things to get upset about
 
And if we're to assume the Chinese government has demanded specific action, why did they want such extreme action?
 
In the case of Blizzard, for example, why not just a minor suspension and perhaps monetary penalties for the pro player (and casters) involved?
 
> 2. Ron Vara doesn't exist
🤷‍♂️
@Yuuki I assume they didn't demand specific action but someone made it known that they were Very Unhappy
 
I'm 100% sure if things went that way, the whole thing would've blown over in a week.
 
7:10 PM
And of course they were some level of unhappy but had it not been forced into a Whole Thing it would have been inconsequential
 
> Trump to appoint Jair Bolsonaro as new Secretary of the Interior.
 
@puzzlepiece87 "Injustice here is a threat to justice everywhere." - LeBron James, for certain values of "here" such that "here != China"
 
@Yuuki I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think it's less certain than you claim. What happened with Devotion and literally the whole Winnie the Pooh thing in general is a counterexample to "Just do this minor thing and it would have been fine with China"
It's not hard to conclude from history that Xi Jinping has an ego or power needs that cause him to act in ways we might not consider completely rational.
For Devotion, immediately stopping sales of the game wasn't enough to keep the Chinese publisher from losing their business license.
To me, that has been a tone-setter in this area: that you have to jump extremely hard to a pro-China position to avoid serious consequences.
(enormous eyeroll) Or, in the case of Blizzard, approximately 5% revenue loss. quails and quivers
But then again, this is the same company that laid off 800 after their record year, so, gotta chase that dollar.
 
I'm speaking less towards the Chinese side so much as I am about the anti-Chinese side. My 100% guarantee was that Blizzard's existing audience in the West would have 100% not gotten this up in arms (and would've forgotten about everything by now) if Blizzard hadn't knee-jerked with a ban for all three parties.
 
7:48 PM
@Yuuki Oh obviously, but if we're not even speaking towards the Chinese side, why not go straight to no punishment at all?
 
But yes, Blizzard could've been targeted for other punitive measures for not being as supportive as the Chinese government would like.
 
Why even do a token punishment?
 
@puzzlepiece87 They do a token punishment every time they release bad content, the value keeps dropping and dropping.
(Blizzard has a real-money currency that they refer to as "tokens", which can be exchanged for microtransactions and WoW subscription time)
 
Thanks for explaining, I didn't get it the first time :)
 
As far as LeBron James goes though, I was never looking to him as any sort of moral authority. And his "position", if you can call it that, on China doesn't invalidate the very real concerns he voices about racial injustice in the US.
It does suck that some people are going to view it that way though.
 
8:09 PM
shrugs I think we all have issues we're not informed on and rely on endorsements in one form or another because there's not enough time in the day. In addition, I think it's pretty clear that James' position is "My China money is more important than HKer freedom". I don't bother with the opinions of random other people ("some people are going to view it that way") because they're generally garbage - those people couldn't be counted on anyway.
I'm definitely not super informed on every issue and rely on endorsements as a shortcut.
 
MSF has evacuated their international staff from Northern Syria
 
I always forget that which NGO Kojima appropriated when he made MSF a PMO.
 
wait what
oh nice
very cool
(editor's note: extremely uncool actually and I'm mad)
 
Yes, MSF (Militaires Sans Frontieres) is a private military organization in the Metal Gear series.
it's fuct
 
"check this out, you know Doctors Without Borders right? Well what if: Military Without Borders"
 
8:20 PM
What's extra fuct is that the name of the PMO makes literally no sense outside of a reference to the real world.
Because the dude who started Metal Gear MSF is American.
 
to be fair some PMC type guy has probably looked this name up before and gone "aw shit, that's already in a video game I can't name my new PMC that now"
like, thinking he's extremely clever
so it does check out in that sense
 
... praxis?
 
I mean that guy did just move on and named his new company like, "Black Rifle Military Contractors (a division of Black Rifle Coffee)" or something
not like Kojima stopped him from going into the business
Also it uh, sounds like the NDP is up?
which is extremely cool
 
8:37 PM
Wat
What a fucked situation
That's a lot of charges
I honestly don't know how I feel about that. I really don't think it's the mother's fault
 
@GnomeSlice yeah, lot of weird and contradictory claims. Left inpatient treatment because she couldn't afford it? Sure. Wouldn't assure he'd take prescribed medicine because it "made him feel weird"? Nah, man.
Pretty big gap between being unable to provide the best care for an extremely disturbed child vs being criminally negligent for his psychotic break
Didn't see it in the article, but not sufficiently preventing access to firearms could be the difference there
 
9:07 PM
Would be a real bad time if anyone we knew had checks notes attempted to influence the President to free Zarrab
Rudy should really call that criminal lawyer
Multi-billion dollar funneling of Iranian oil revenue, a good time!
 
9:25 PM
Hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha come on Jack
(and other world leaders but this is a problem very narrow in scope)
@BradC lmfao it was literally just a soda bottle covered in tape?
Which is great news but like it took five hours to determine actually nothing exploded in any form because it was just a bottle, wrapped in tape
 
@TimStone I don't know a lot of people that would think this about themselves
 
11:41 PM
@FabianRöling more suited for The Bridge. @TimStone could you move it?
 
Hm, do the chats switch places in the list?
 
I think it's sorted by most recent activity, so yes
 

« first day (784 days earlier)      last day (35 days later) »