« first day (2655 days earlier)      last day (760 days later) » 

3:16 AM
hey there btw @KorvinStarmast
 
hullo
d+3
d20
 
OK, so it works
 
cool
so...shall we begin?
 
I guess I am ready
 
3:20 AM
or do you need to do anything first?
cool
 
I just turned off the tv
 
so, Malik is out exploring the plains as part of his quest, when he comes to a small town with a chapel, inn, and a few shops, but not much else.
 
I'll visit the chapel
Hmm, not sure if I mentioned, but I think I am going to be inclined to pray to a sea or weather deity
is there one in your world?
 
You notice an elderly priest tending to the chapel. He welcomes you in "Ah, hello there good traveler, feel free to pray at the altar. Don't worry about me, I just have some tending and dusting to do" (and sure, we can just use the Faerun deities)
He continues "I haven't seen anyone new in town in quite some time even, been a while since the pilgrims stopped coming this way. What brings you here?"
 
OK, then I'll go with varkul
I am on a quest ... I think.
I need to pray to Valkur to get some peace and guidance.
 
3:27 AM
"Ah, yes. Speaking of quests...would it be too much bother to ask of you a small errand? I have to stay around and tend to the chapel, otherwise I'd go do it myself."
 
How may I be of help?
 
"I had a student a while back who had to go back home to visit his family. He was studying a religious artifact at the time, and I had to go visit folks in the countryside...between all that, the artifact seems to have gotten misplaced, as it wasn't here when I returned. It's a small, black figurine of a large, shaggy pack animal...shouldn't be too hard to find."
 
Here in the chapel, or somewhere else in town?
 
It's definitely not in the chapel, that's for sure.
 
Is it magical, or otherwise hallowed by divine magic?
 
3:32 AM
"It's said to have religious significance. It didn't seem magical, though, at least..."
 
How long did you have it? Recent acquisition or been here in the chapel a long time?
 
It's been around the chapel for a while. A pilgrim found it on the road and brought it in to us for safekeeping, not knowing what else to do with it.
 
Does the student live near here, or far away? Does the student have a name?
 
The student took it with him when he left though...I think he was intending to continue the studies while he was with his family. He lives quite some ways away, too, although he had to stop in a neighboring town for supplies that weren't in stock here before he set off on the rest of his journey, if that helps. He goes by Trauvin -- scruffy sort of young fella, good-hearted even if he is a bit quick to anger at times."
 
OK, I'll finish my prayers and see what I can do. How long ago did he leave, this Trauvin?
 
3:36 AM
"Some days ago, had to hit the town to the south for a supply or two he couldn't get here. Can't recall what it was though, the shopkeeper's usually good about stock."
 
OK, how many days travel is the other town?
 
It's only about a day's travel on foot. Heard the road's not the greatest though.
 
Right. finishes prayers May Valkur's breezez blow you good fortune, good sir.
I'll head to the inn.
 
The priest bows slightly "Good luck with your sojourns"
 
As I walk to the inn, do I notice if the shops are on the way, or is the inn the first building I encounter?
 
3:40 AM
You arrive at what looks to be a quaint inn, seemingly a bit small for a town frequented by pilgrims. There is a general-store on the way, but it's closed up for the night.
 
>I enter the inn
 
The innkeeper smiles back to you "Oh, hey there. Good to see a new face around town. What can I get you for a drink or the likes?"
 
> is it dark, or near sunset?
"If you have a mug of ale and a bowl of stew, I'd be obliged. Are there rooms to be had?
 
(it's getting rather dark)
 
> OK, so not starting south till daylight
> look around the inn, see anyone besides the inkeeper?
 
3:44 AM
"Aye, rooms are not a problem." The innkeeper notes your holy symbol and smiles "Priests are free around these parts"
There seems to be nobody else there besides you and the innkeeper though
 
Thank you, sir. As I am new to town, having traveled to get here, can you tell me why the pilgrims seemed to have slowed in their visits? I spoke briefly with the gentleman at the chapel.
 
The innkeeper shrugs "Seems to be a cyclical thing, should pick back up in a couple of years. Have heard a few stories about some of the roads not being as nice as they usually are, though."
 
> is the beer here yet?
 
The ale and stew arrive "Here you are"
 
Ah, thank you. sips beer Sorry to hear that. Are the roads washed out or more dangerous?
 
3:48 AM
"A bit more dangerous than usual, but the stories are very short on detail..."
 
Who reports the danger? Caravans? Merchants? Local farmers and herders?
 
"The occasional merchant or traveller. Whatever it is, it's not inclined to mess with locals"
 
dip into the stew sips beer
If I were to travel south, what's your idea on how dangerous that might be? I hear there's a town a days' march to the south.
 
"That seems to be the direction that gives folks the most trouble, yes..."
 
OK, and the name of this town to the south is ... sips beer grin I really am not from 'round here.
 
3:53 AM
"That's alright, it's not like most of us bother with looking at maps and such anyway. Heck if I can recall, everyone just calls it 'that town south of here' anyway"
 
chortles All's well, I'll just eat up and go to bed. I'll be off at dawn, no need to be up then if you'd rather sleep in.
sips beer, eats stew
 
"Good luck with your journey then" the innkeeper heads off to polish some more glasses and clean some more tables
(fast-forward to morningtime?)
 
Yes
> head off at dawn, on the road to the town south
 
So, Malik gets up, packs up, and heads out on the road to the town south.
(d20 please, Insight roll)
 
3:57 AM
13
 
Add 2, have prof
15
 
You can tell there are tracks here, that don't seem normal...instead, they seem as if folks were taking up positions along the road for some reason or another
 
Look for signs of scuffle, fights, flight when I see these signs
Also, positions on one side of the road or both?
 
You don't see any signs of fights surrounding them though, and they point at both sides of the road. (roll a Perception check)
 
Is the road flanked by trees, brush, grass, prairie?
d20
 
4:00 AM
19
 
+2 = 21
 
You can tell that there are folks out there, probably watching you from the tall grasses and whatnot that line the road, but you can't precisely tell where they are
 
Both sides or one side?
 
Both sides
 
> I stop, and call out in a loud voice
Hail, may Valkur's blessing be upon you.
 
4:02 AM
Nothing answers your call. Whoever it is seems intent on staying hidden.
 
> I'll continue on, trying to assess if anyone is following me or keeping pace
I'll be walking with shield on arm an javelin held in my hand.
 
Nobody seems to be keeping pace or following you, per se, at least. You make it into town without incident, although there doesn't seem to be much there: only a few shops and a ratty old inn. The shops are a metal smithy of some sort, a carpenter/wheelwright, and what looks to be a dealer in locks and keys, and the inn looks quite run-down and dimly lit.
 
I'll head to the inn.
> what time of day?
 
(early evening again)
 
I enter the inn
 
4:09 AM
You walk into the inn. It's as dingy inside as on the outside, but is the only place to get a room here. The innkeeper, a burly and square-jawed figure, greets you after a long delay in noticing your presence, their eyes kind of sizing you up. "'Ello."
 
"Good evening, I am interested in lodging here for the night."
 
"That'll be ten gold, sir." You can tell that he's only halfheartedly hiding the contempt in his voice
 
"That's rather expensive, sir. How much to stay in the barn."
 
He waves you off "Go, go. Can't stop you from sleeping in the hay. Just don't complain about any unexpected awakenings, alright?"
 
Thank you, I won't. Have you been having trouble with hauntings lately?
 
4:14 AM
"No, no. Nothing of the sort. Only trouble we've had is with priest-boys who need to learn to control their tongues."
You can hear that contempt lurking in his voice again as he eyes your holy symbol...
 
"Will you feel more kindly if I bought some dinner and beer, or does my dress offend you? I am not from 'round here." cover holy symbol with hand to see his reaction
 
"One gold, and don't complain about what you get." (roll an Insight check)
 
3
(heh)
 
4:17 AM
You think he's paying more attention to your pointy ears than your holy symbol
 
>dig a gold out of pocket, place on counter.
"I'll wear a hat if you'd prefer ..." grin
 
He serves you a dish of watery gruel-soup (think gruel made with a meat-broth), stale bread the consistency of hardtack, and a mug of swill
 
eat and finish it all
"Thank you, and good night. See you in the morning."
> head to barn/hay
 
You rest in the hay for the night. Come morning, you find some signs of a commotion that took place during the night, and a note laying in the mud
 
Read the note
 
4:22 AM
The note mentions something about something being buried well west of town, by the old orc rock. Parts of it are obscured by blood and mud stains, though.
 
Does getting a few drops of water and rubbing make it any clearer?
Are there tracks in the mud heading west ?
Foot prints, paw prints, hoof prints?
 
Unfortunately, no, that doesn't help the stains. (roll a Survival check please)
 
no mod, no prof
 
4:24 AM
You can make out some faded tracks that look like they could have been from a young-ish travelling sort heading west out of town, but not enough to actually track them
Interestingly enough, there's a second set of tracks as if they headed back into town
 
I'll head back into town
Destination Locksmith
 
You head to the locksmith's shop. A stocky lass in a peasant's dress answers the door. "Hi there!"
 
"Good morning. I am passing through, and am looking for a young man who you might know."
"Can you tell me if Tauvrin still lives in this town?"
I have a message for him.
Sorry, Trauvin
blush
 
"He doesn't, which is a good thing. No room for mouthy sorts like him around here. He tried to offer me a mere two gold for a lockbox, claiming it was all he had. That's not even close to enough."
 
"I am sorry, did he leave town, or does he live far from town?"
 
4:28 AM
"He left town, for all I know."
"Had to recover a bit before he did, though."
 
"Well, I guess I've come too late. .. Recover? From what?"
 
"Got roughed up a bit for his tongue, yanno."
 
"Let me guess ... at the inn?"
 
"Didn't hear where it went down."
 
"Well, I am not in the market for locks or keys, but I am grateful for your courtesy. I think I'll head out to a place I'd heard of called Orc Rock. Is the way easy, or is it hard to find?"
 
4:31 AM
"The old orc rock? Just head west a ways, you can't miss it."
 
bow Thank you. May I ask your name? I am Malik. "
 
"Jillian's the name."
 
"Jillian, you've been most helpful, I hope to see you again. Good day."
> I'll head west.
 
"Have a nice day!" Her voice seems false-cheery compared to the tone she was using in most of the conversation
You head westward, towards a large, rather solitary outcrop in the distance
 
> I'll grimace at whatever faux pas I committed ....
 
4:33 AM
(roll Perception)
 
You notice that there are newer tracks on the road after a while (roll an Insight check)
 
4:34 AM
18
 
+2 ...20
(hope I am not wasting these good rolls ..hehehe)
 
Someone seems to be...searching? from the patterns you see in the tracks and the likes
 
Am I at the rock yet?
My intent was to make a circuit around the rock before I try to climb it. I'd like to get a look at the terrain in the vicinity
I don't have a sense of how far I am from the rock as I ponder these tracks and signs ....
 
You come to the rock after a while, seeing two figures in dark-colored woman's clothing with veiled faces searching around it. The taller and wider of the two has pointed ears, as you can see their tips peeking out
 
> I'll announce myself to them
"Hail ladies, may I be of help to you?
 
4:39 AM
They seem to be glaring and scowling at you from behind their veils "No. Who sent you out here, anyway? Nobody told us about any other help coming out."
 
"Very well, I'll just climb up the rock so that I can get a better view of the country side. If you change your mind and need any assistance, that's where I'll be."
I'll try to figure out what/where they are looking at ... anything leap out at me?
> complexion of ladies, and do those ears look elfish or ... otherwise?
 
You can't really tell their complexion, but the ears sure do look elvish to you
 
> In Elvish, I'll say as I begin to climb the rock "Nice day for a hike up a rock ..."
 
They seem to be searching around the smaller rocks, but ignoring the larger one for some reason. While you're climbing, you notice a crudely scrawled inscription (roll Religion) The pointy-eared one does respond to your statement though "You think it's up there? Hah! What a fool!"
 
4:43 AM
15
 
no mod, so 15
> Do I understand the inscription?
 
It seems to be something to do with the ceremonies that'd be held here, you can tell that much.
 
next to this inscription, I'll use my Divine Sense. This allows me to detect good evil aura, also if consecrated or hallowed.
> Any other markings on the rock? Wondering if I'll stumble over any images like a shaggy beast of burden ...
 
You can tell that this is a quite well-used ceremonial site from your Divine Sense. There does seem to be another mark scrawled on the rock you can find, more recent than the others (roll Insight)
 
4:46 AM
4
 
+2 = 6
Timing, eh?
 
It makes no sense to you, unfortunately. The marking's a jumble...
 
Are the ladies still down there?
> As I understand this, I am already at the top of the rock and it used to be used for ceremonies up here?
Or am I still climbing?
 
> You are up the side of the rock a little ways, and the ceremonies seem to be held on the smaller rocks below, at least that's what your divine sense combined with what you decoded from the first inscription tells you.
 
OK, I'll proceed to the top. I want to get a 360 degree panorama look at the terrain. Looking for shapes, features, trails, etc.
Ok, so down I come after a good look ... and she's found something?
Sorry, I guess we cross posted there.
 
4:49 AM
You can't make it to the top, as the rock is worn smooth, with neither hand nor foothold. As you climb back down though, you see that the larger of the two ladies has started digging more frantically, as if she seems to be onto something
 
I'll stop about 30 from them and stand still, watching.
 
The other womanly figure seems to join in on her hands and knees, working basically by hand at this point. "Easy now, easy now, don't want to mess it up"
 
They speaking in common or elvish?
 
In common
 
I don't want to interrupt ... but I'll watch.
 
4:52 AM
The other one looks up and notices you, glaring again as she adjusts her skirt some... "Get a move on! We don't need interlopers standing around here."
 
"I am still looking for a young man called Trauvin. Maybe you can help me with is whereabouts, and I'll be on my way."
> I'll mutter in Elvish that they probably won't need a pack animal to carry what they are digging.
 
"We know nothing of him. Now get, before we make you!" The slender lady produces a shortsword from under her skirt
 
He used to live here, and I"ve been sent to deliver a message. Waving a sword at me isn't necessary."
"I am not here to harm you."
 
"We don't care about your message. I say one last time, go away!"
"Or you'll end up like that boy you're talking about did!"
 
"ANd how's that?" I ask ... drawing sword. "How did he end up?
In Elvish "Threatening me is not your best idea ever, madam."
 
4:57 AM
"Not heading out of town when he wanted to, that's for sure. Was lucky the town healer didn't just leave him out in the alley." The other lass stands up, grabbing a longsword that was sitting against the rock (roll initiative)
 
d20
 
1d20
 
4:59 AM
6
 
pointy-eared-bandit > Malik > other bandit
 
OK...
 
The elfess steps forward, opening with a high-pitched "YAIIIIEEE" and a thrust from her sword
d20
 
Her thrust is poorly aimed and goes well wide of Malik
 
5:00 AM
Malikk counterattacks
d20
 
with similar result
 
Malik's counterattack is no better aimed. The other girl closes on Malik, attacking with a swing of her shortsword
"What, can't bring yourself to hit a girl?"
d20
 
The other girl's attack is wild as well, its tip skating off Malik's maille. The elven figure recovers from her wild thrust and tries a slash at his head and neck area...
d20
 
5:03 AM
16
 
Needs 18 to hit
 
(19, so it hits)
 
(+3 on the attack roll)
d8
 
5:04 AM
HP now 21
I bonus action, Divine Favor, and riposte with an attack
d20
 
brilliant sword work!
 
The blade's tip traces a small cut along Malik's chin, drawing a cheer from the other girl "First blood! Yeah! Get that insolent lout!"
 
I guess I am providing the air conditioning
> said something earlier about wasting rolls ... heh
 
She nimbly steps aside, eluding your riposte. The other girl comes back at you with her blade
d20
 
5:06 AM
10
 
needs 18
Reminds me of the old days, a lot of rolling and a lot of missing ...
 
Her swordwork isn't quite as practiced as the elf's, though, and she misses a slash, not quite close enough to connect. The elfess comes back in, trying to go for a strike low this time
d20
 
I try again ...
 
Once again, her blow is wide as well (Malik's turn)
 
5:07 AM
d20
 
+5 makes 19
 
(hit, roll for damage)
(and add the 1d4)
 
5:08 AM
d4
 
+3 = 8
(the d4 from divine favor. Radiant damage)
 
Your blade digs into her left shoulder shallowly but leaves a seared-looking wound from the radiant damage, causing the elfess to wince visibly "You...you warlock, and your magics!" (3 HP on her) The other bandit attacks with a stroke of her sword, trying to thrust into your back...
 
Hmm, are we out of time?
 
d20
 
5:10 AM
6
 
(I have 20mins)
 
OK
Miss
The +3 was from my strenght mod...
 
Her thrust comes up wide though as her partner tries to regain her stance and counterattack Malik...
d20
 
Bringing more love via longsword here
d20
 
5:11 AM
3
 
Bloody useless, I guess
 
The pointy-eared lass' strike fares no better, skating off of Malik's shield to no use. She is able to step away from Malik's strike, though, while her partner tries to take advantage of his occupation
d20
 
The blow, once more, is no good, Malik fending this one off with his shield as well. The pointy-eared lass recovers for another stroke...
d20
 
5:13 AM
Lovely
 
2d8
 
HP now 12
d20
 
Total of 16
Need Con check for divine favor
d20
 
5:14 AM
14
 
Yeah, still have divine favor up, did a 16 hit?
 
The elfess skewers Malik through his left shoulder as she was able to take advantage of his shield being out of position. In the process of this, she left herself far too exposed....
16 did hit
 
5:15 AM
3
 
+3 = 14 total
 
(and that was 10 damage on the crit not 9 btw as there was a +1 there, sorry)
 
HP = 11 now
She took 14 and since I hit ... Divine Smite
2d8
 
10 more
24 total from me in that turn
13 of it radiant damage.
(Which by my math makes 32 with 8 from first blow ... but whose counting?)
 
5:18 AM
...as the elfess connects, Malik drives his blade in under her breast, practically destroying both ventricles of her heart as the radiant damage sears its way through her chest cavity. She's barely able to pull her blade free before the damage registers, her mouth gaping silently as she loses her balance and plummets off the rock she had taken position on to the ground, her sword clattering by Malik's feet. The other girl drops her sword, gripped with shock at what Malik has just done...
 
I lower my sword at her and ask:
Do you yield?
Tip of sword pointed at but not touching her ...
 
"Tah'ria! No!" The other girl is crying, still in shock at the loss of her compatriot "I....I....I..." the other girl is quivering as she kneels on the ground "W...why..." She manages to come to her senses slightly and look up at you "W...will...you...spare...me?"
 
"madam, attacking me was not your best idea ever ... as I said ... do you want me to try and heal her?"
> I have in mind to do a medicine check ... to see if I can maybe stabilize her, or if that took her too far past a chance for that ....
 
"No...no...no..." She sobs, having lost it altogether. You can tell from what you did to the elfess that there is no way to stabilize someone who took that bad of a hit...she probably died shortly after she hit the ground.
 
"Yes, I will spare you."
> gah, maybe that smite was overkill, I was one hit from ... grrr.. swingy low level fights
 
5:26 AM
(yeah, you invoked the massive damage rules with that finishing blow)
 
"You had no need to attack me, nor to threaten me. I offered my help."
> arrgh, once again guessed wrong
 
"You are not one of us!" The other girl gets up and hikes up her skirt, running away, leaving her sword behind in her haste "You will pay for this!"
 
"How about you tell me why you two wanted to take my life over this."
I'll go and dig up what they were digging up.
If she's leaving ...
 
You finish digging it up, and it turns out it's the figurine/artifact that you're after, the only mars of its condition a few clinging clods of dirt.
 
I'll head west after I search the body of the lady who died.
This sure ended up a mess ... :(
Good stopping point?
 
5:30 AM
You find a dagger hidden in the top of her boot, and some coins in a pouch tucked into one breast. (I'll ask you to make one more Perception check)
 
Hah!
it's a 3 with my massive profiiency... hahaha
Ok, so a dagger ,a figurine, and some coins.
Good stopping point?
I have work in the morning ....
 
You think you find a jewel on her, but no, 'tis not the case
(actually, lets just not use the perc roll for what I thought it'd be good for)
You can tell, though, that you need to move quickly and soon, her friends are sure to be coming for you...
 
Before I go I'll arrange her body neatly and lay her sword long wise, hilt on her chest
yeah, I'll be hauling ass, heading west.
Is this plain, hills, woods, scrub?
 
5:35 AM
You do this, arranging her body neatly for whoever finds it. You can tell as you get up that you have to hustle westward though across these plains, as you can already see what could be her friends coming from town, off in the distance.
 
Hustile I do
 
we'll leave it at this cliffhanger-ish then :)
 
OK
Night
 
night night, when will a good next time be btw?
 
Give me a few days, maybe Tuesday or Thursday.
Prolly not thur ...
Until the, I am off. :)
 
5:36 AM
@KorvinStarmast we'll try for Tuesday then...
what time?
 
Ok 930 ish I think. Will send a chat tomorrow.
 
@KorvinStarmast sure. we should be able to finish out then :)
 
 
10 hours later…
3:41 PM
@Shalvenay Let's go for Tuesday at about 9 PM, or 915 PM.
 
 
4 hours later…
7:55 PM
@Shalvenay OK, I'm an idiot. I was shorting that first bandit 2 damage on the first hit. Note this from my google docs char sheet.
Fighting Style: Dueling (+2 Damage)
She should have earned 10 damage on the first blos, not 8, and 16 for the second hit ... for 24 all told. Divine smite not needed, obviously, so I obviously erred/over reacted.
I am also pretty sure that I took one more damage since on the first blow that struck me the additional +1 was not added to the d8. So until my next short rest, I thin HP is 10 not 11.
 
 
3 hours later…
11:10 PM
@KorvinStarmast OK, yeah, that trips me up to.
 
@Shalvenay It's a matter of me marking that text file a bit differently so that certain things jump out of the page. I'll edit it later.
 
@KorvinStarmast yeah. I'd probably want to roll it into the basic damage calculation section
 
It seems that the die roller won't do adds
d8+2
see?
d8 + 2
So we'll need to just stay alert I guess, just like in the old days. :)
 
yeah, it won't
 

« first day (2655 days earlier)      last day (760 days later) »