« first day (819 days earlier)      last day (641 days later) » 

3:34 PM
-2
Q: Why did Git become so popular?

Jungle HunterAlmost every article you read comparing Git and Mercurial it seems like Mercurial has a better command line UX with each command being limited to one idea only. (Unlike say git checkout.) But at point Git suddenly because super popular and literally exploded. Source: Debian What happened in 2...

I think this question could find a home here, in
at SO, even the relevant tag history is officially prohibited DO NOT USE - Removed as part of "The great Stack Overflow tag/question cleanup of 2012
@ChrisF @ThomasOwens @maple_shaft what's your take on above?
"What happened in 2010-01 that suddenly things changed"
 
@gnat I don't have a problem with it - history questions are on-topic for us.
2
I just don't know enough about the history of Git and Mercurial to know if there's a good answer.
 
@ThomasOwens well neither do I but reference to concrete stats and firm statement on "2010-01" makes me feel comfortable in the sense that this will likely suffice to wipe out garbage answers like git rocksucks
@ThomasOwens well neither do I but reference to concrete stats and firm statement on "2010-01" makes me feel comfortable in the sense that this will likely suffice to wipe out garbage answers like git rocksucks
 
3:50 PM
@gnat What @ThomasOwens said
 
FYI:
0
Q: Why did Git become so popular?

Jungle HunterAlmost every article you read comparing Git and Mercurial it seems like Mercurial has a better command line UX with each command being limited to one idea only. (Unlike say git checkout.) But at point Git suddenly because super popular and literally exploded. Source: Debian What happened in 2...

 
@RobertHarvey perfect example of where Haskell changes the way you think, I commented this is stateful logic: public bool IsReadyForOrdering { get { return PartNumber > 0 && PartAvailable; } } and somebody's comment saying that's nonsense and that is not stateful got 6 up votes because most people don't know how to recognize state.
 
@ThomasOwens well neither do I but reference to concrete stats and firm statement on "2010-01" makes me feel comfortable in the sense that this will likely suffice to wipe out garbage answers like git rocksucks
 
@gnat I think it is a fair question but I worry about garbage answers and wild speculation without references
As long as we keep an eye on the answer quality then I am okay with this
 
4:24 PM
@JimmyHoffa That's how it is with objects. If I programmed in C# without state, everything would be static methods, and I would never instantiate an object (except for the occasional immutable one). That's not exactly convenient in an OO environment, though. Worth noting: IsReadyForOrdering is read-only.
 
@RobertHarvey that's not necessary, never instantiating an object would mean no strings, you would instantiate objects. What you would never do is use properties
@RobertHarvey Yes, but it has accesses persistent state. It is stateful. Just saying, try doing that same thing in Haskell :P
 
Why wouldn't I use properties? A get property is just sugar for a method that returns a value.
 
@RobertHarvey A persistent state value
Rather, you would never use local properties
You would create objects and things in your methods scope, you would pass them to other methods, but no method would access properties on it's local object or any object that it didn't construct or have pased to it as a parameter
As soon as you access something you didn't create and didn't have given to you, you're accessing a form of state available to the entire program (as far as you can know)
 
There will always be state and side effects somewhere. That's why we have these wacky things called monads. Just sayin'. :)
 
Trueish, that's why there's the IO monad, the other monads are all 100% pure
The state monad for instance is just a tuple which makes it easy to pass around a lot of values, they're still inaccessible to any other part of the system
 
4:37 PM
And that's not just an immutable object?
 
Point being, that property is stateful, and apparently a lot of people don't recognize that based on the up votes of the other comment
 
When you say stateful, I think people think "It modifies/holds state."
 
Ah, no I mean the opposite "It can be modified by state"
The property will return different values based on side effects you cannot know
 
That's "mutable." :)
If you have a property that returns a read-only field, it fits your definition of non-stateful.
 
I would say that's idempotent, and immutable, but iduno there's a gray area at construction because when a readonly property is instantiated it can use logic to define its value
 
4:43 PM
You gotta set it somehow.
 
does that count as side effects?
yes but that setting is actually done purely by side effect
 
Not really; it's a pretty well-established software pattern that you can set a read-only field in the constructor of an object, and still call it immutable.
 
you can never set the value of a readonly field, it defines it's own value as a side effect of you constructing an object
 
Same thing.
If it's set in the constructor, and nowhere else, it's still immutable.
 
you can give the constructor a value for the property, and as a pattern it's a nice idea but it doesn't afford guarantees, that's what immutability/idempotency/statelesness and all these things are about, giving guarantees to your consumers
 
4:45 PM
It gives you the guarantee that the value will be set only once, and never change. That's how strings work in .NET.
 
Your consumer isn't gauranteed he'll get that value as the readonly property's value
 
Yes set only once, but what the value is isn't promised
Your consumer may not realize your constructor checks if the value for a readonly field is 3 and sets it to 4 instead because the constructor knows 3 is an invalid value, but your consumer does not
 
That's true, but if we're only talking about cosmological constants like pi and e...
@JimmyHoffa That's what throwing exceptions is for.
And Code Contracts.
 
I agree, and used correctly the pattern you're referring to could act as stateless effectively turning the objects into what are ADT's with record fields in haskell
 
4:47 PM
OK.
 
@maple_shaft your concerns about answer quality to Git-history question appear to be somewhat prophetic. I dunno if it's being invaded by Redditors or passers-by from SE hot-questions but it looks like a honeypot for crappy answers now
 
but it still doesn't afford guarantees, and I still don't know how to make that "object" not referenced by outside portions of the program
 
4
A: Why did Git become so popular?

MikeTwo words, one URL: GitHub.com

 
if it's a struct then you get that immutability
 
@JimmyHoffa We OO'ers call that encapsulation
 
4:49 PM
I been doing OO much longer than FP :P but I don't see where encapsulation comes in here?
 
and the crap is getting upvotes and my votes for today are out, please consider protection
 
haha that is a TERRIBLE answer.
 
You said "Not referenced by outside.." That's encapsulation.
But I see where you're coming from with the properties. You're exposing internal details of a class, rather than merely calling a function and returning a value.
 
@ThomasOwens @ChrisF would you mind taking a look at Git question answers? As of now these look like of pretty slippery quality to me
 
Say you encapsulate this object with immutable properties in a private property on your object, how do you know your object isn't referenced by 6 threads which may all call your object causing it to access that same object with immutable properties?
 
4:51 PM
@gnat I'm going to mod notice and comment most of them. They aren't good answers.
 
@JimmyHoffa If the properties are immutable, who cares?
 
I recognize the safety because the properties are immutable, the access is there... The safest approach is to never set that object onto any properties of your object. Merely pass it to other functions (though they may set it to a property on their object)
 
@ThomasOwens thanks! I just checked it's 42 (magic number) at SE hot questions scal, that sure explains invasion of aliens
 
@RobertHarvey also, if one of those threads calls ResetThatImmutableObjectsProperty it may replace that object in the private private property on your object underneath the other 5 threads.. Unless that property is too readonly, as well as every single other property in your process
 
Eh, I'm assuming immutable really does mean immutable.
In OO, it's up to the programmer to assure those guarantees.
 
4:55 PM
Yep
Unfortunately, without those guarantees forced onto people, they often don't notice when they aren't ensuring them
Which is why we have so much un-threadsafe code in the wild
and exactly what Haskell teaches
 
The project I'm currently working on is about as mutable and multi-threaded as it gets. It works because everything is fenced off with producer/consumer queues. Despite some folks' predictions of impending doom, the program is actually not that difficult to reason about.
I'm still planning on learning Haskell, though. :)
And Scheme.
 
Aye, I'm used to working on large OO systems, usually high-traffic high-data stuff and indeed there's generally no impending doom, but there have been a few multi-threading errors from folks over time. The bigger problems though I see tend to be bad API's confusing developers into duplications and generally misunderstanding the stack blowing out GC or misusing reflection, but in the general OO tends to work great I agree
I just think FP is bloody cool :) You will too when you get the time.
 
5:14 PM
@gnat It's on topic, but not constructive imho - but I realize I'm a bit late to this party /cc @ThomasOwens
 
@YannisRizos I'm not sure how it's not constructive, especially since there appears to be a right answer that's reflected in two answers: the question is based on a false assumption.
It's mostly a problem with people speculating instead of finding good, logical reasons why something may have happened and providing references to those events.
 
@walter Re your last flag: See discussion starting from here: chat.stackexchange.com/transcript/message/7076964#7076964 - For the record I agree with you.
@ThomasOwens False assumptions tend to lead to long debates -> NC, it could have been edited a bit before we brought it here. In any case it's here now, I won't close it, but I completely understand where the close voters are coming from.
 
The answers I'm referring to are this one and this one. Although the question is about the popularity of Git, the data that the question is based on is the installs of git on one OS (and one particular distribution of that OS).
 
Hopefully people won't ignore the post notice and we won't get more one liners.
 
@YannisRizos That's not a problem with the question. It's a problem with the answers. If I ask a question based on false assumptions, then the only right answer is to explain why the assumptions are false and what the correct assumptions should be.
 
5:20 PM
Well four deleted answer already... Doesn't look good. How about we through protection on it, @ThomasOwens?
 
I'm not going to judge a question based on it's answers. There's a minimum expectation for questions, but there's also a minimum expectation for answers and the quality of them as well.
 
@ThomasOwens Sure, but the question should be clarified, it's not about git's popularity, but about a sudden rise of git installations on debian.
 
@YannisRizos I thought about it. I wonder if it's a good idea to do that, though. Goes back to the idea of asking the wrong question or making wrong assumptions based on data. Perhaps. I'm going to comment on the question now.
 
@ThomasOwens Asking the wrong question is not that much of a problem, and in some cases it just makes sense, if the asker knew better they wouldn't ask. That doesn't mean we can't fix obvious flaws in the question (which will help them get better/more accurate answers).
Ah, and now there's a subversion answer ;P
 
@YannisRizos could you please elaborate on that? This time, I saw concrete graph and exact data set right there, in the question "2010-01" which made me feel it could have a concrete answer. did i miss anything? except for that it's currently on top of Stack Exchange Hot list, but that's hardly a question fault
"Usually, when a question gains that much attention in a short period of time, it's necessary to lock it: thousands of people show up who aren't familiar with the structure of Stack Overflow, start posting their feelings as answers, and things start looking pretty raggedy. Locking gives things a chance to settle down without removing the good stuff that brought folks in in the first place..."
10
A: How can we encourage down-voting over deletion on answers?

Shog9Regarding down-voting and deletion: they each have their place, and on an ordinary question there's not too much to worry about - some folks down-vote, some folks vote to delete, and some folks do both; what actually ends up getting deleted vs. just down-voted usually boils down to the effort put...

 
5:30 PM
@ThomasOwens That's a correct answer to a question based on false assumptions?
 
Are you curious about the overall popularity of Git or the installation of Git on Debian? Your data only provides information about one Linux distribution, ignoring every other Linux distribution, along with BSD, Mac, and Windows operating systems, yet you're asking a generic question about the rise in use of a tool. Based on some of the answers, there is a Debian-specific explanation, but there's insufficient data to speak to the popularity of Git versus the popularity of Mercurial across all potential users. It seems like the question as presented is based on faulty assumptions. — Thomas Owens 2 mins ago
That's my problem right there. Question has a very attractive title, "Why did Git become so popular?", but it really isn't about git's overall popularity. And most answerers missed/ignored that.
 
@gnat The question does have a right answer, and it's been posted twice. The summary is that the graph presented does not indicate the popularity of Git, but the number of installs on Debian systems. At the period of the spike, the package for git was renamed from git-core to git, which appears to have made discoverability significantly easier, given the massive increase in number of installs (as pointed out in one answer explicitly).
 
@YannisRizos I see. Well then maybe it's question fault, not being concrete enough to weed out crap?
 
@gnat Perhaps. But it's also on the people answering to read the complete question (not just the title) before answering
 
@ThomasOwens interesting. Given that, and protection notice, could that somehow aid in dropping crap as not an answer?
 
5:34 PM
@gnat It could have been clarified a bit before we brought it here. We obviously can't do much about that now, and it's not really a big deal. @ThomasOwens comment, the post notice and the protection should be enough now.
 
in less crowded question, I'd rely on Prog.SE community voting, but this case is different
stuff like +9 at blatant link-only slogan is a perfect example
 
@gnat I suspect a lot of SOpedians are voting on the question and its answers...
(or I just like to blame SO for everything)
 
@YannisRizos that's for sure
 
@gnat I blame you, actually ;P
 
well you got me here :)
 
5:45 PM
Every now and then I search our deleted questions for hidden gems. This is my latest find:
 
@YannisRizos Link to the question?
 
@ThomasOwens That's a classic ;P I wonder if I should re-ask it on the workplace...
 
@YannisRizos DO IT.
 
5:50 PM
For those with less than 10K.
 
@ThomasOwens You said a moment ago, a question based on false assumptions has the correct answer of correcting those assumptions, but not answering the spirit of the question I understand? Do you stand by that? I see questions based on false assumptions somewhat often and tend to comment the correction and flag because I assume the question unanswerable when it's looking for an answer that can't be "Given cars drive with track treds, where would I go to get the tracks replaced with wheels?"
^- can't be answered because it's based on a false assumption
Even though the answer to the spirit of the question would be something like "Go to a tire shop like Big O or firestone or your local mechanic"
I guess I'm asking, what is the appropriate approach to those types of questions?
 
@JimmyHoffa I think it depends on the question, but generally yes. In this case, there is something that can be determined based on the data - in the time frame in question, the Debian package name changed. It also coincides with a new version of Git. Between this new version release and the package name changes, it's not unsuprising that the number of Debian installs increased.
In your example, what your present would be to first explain what the faulty assumption is and then to provide the correct answer that actually helps solve the problem.
 
So you think one should correct the assumption and answer the spirit of the question
 
In most cases, yes. If the question is just plain stupid, though, then I would just flag or close it.
In the Git question, the assumption is that the number of Debian installs is related to the popularity of the tool. They aren't necessarily related. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. But I can easily explain the rise in popularity on Debian.
 
6:09 PM
Couldn't resist posting on MSO about the git question, I really don't want ProgSE to be flooded with similar questions...
1
A: When is a history question on SO constructive?

YannisThe question did find a home on Programmers, however it still feels like a not constructive question. Although programming history questions are on topic on Programmers1, your question is based on a flawed assumption, which Thomas describes in detail in his comment: Are you curious about the...

 
@gnat What can I say... when it comes to cult followers like Git-roids, they simply can't help themselves but to proclaim their faith based beliefs loudly and as simply as possible, through any medium possible, rules, FAQ's and terms of service be damned
 
@maple_shaft I usually tend to stay away from discussing cult things but this time have to agree "There is only one reason. Linus Torvalds. blah blah"... "my guess is fairly prosaic. Git is brilliant blah blah"...
haven't seen useless crap like that upvoted for quite a long time on Prog.SE
Git-roids indeed. No thought only Pavlovian reflexes
 
@gnat I agree... try even questioning the need for DVCS in every possible scenario in a discussion board about how awesome Git is. You will get viciously attacked
I haven't yet found a situation where the complexity of Git didn't outweigh the problems it solves
I work on a small team usually and Git seems to be too complex for my needs
I like SVN but heaven forbid I say that
 
well I for one don't really care about it being complex or not. Pollution to Programmers worries me more :)
 
@gnat yeah... I think it is ultimately a good thing when we get linked at Reddit or HackerNews, despite the flood of bad quality contributions
we get noticed, and for 100 angry loud obnoxious Reddit user, there is one guy who gets it and understands we are trying to promote quality content, and not host a message board where everybody deserves to be heard
then we get a new user
and thats a good thing
 
@maple_shaft Yes, but at some point we got to talk to that guy that continuously posts our questions on Reddit.
 
@YannisRizos Yeah he is a real asshole ;-)
 
@gnat Locking is... not a very good option. The question shog is talking about was generating tons of drama, the git question didn't (yet?). If a comment war erupts, we'll definitely lock.
 
@YannisRizos I can start a comment war! BWAAHAHAAHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!
> Hold up... I'ma let you finish, ima let you finish... but SVN is the best version control repository of all time.... OF ALL TIME!
 
@maple_shaft ...and I can't suspend you. GO FOR IT!
Awesome username:
And he even has the URL to prove it: ouchmyhead.com!
 
6:36 PM
@YannisRizos agree. At the post I referred, i noticed, that lock has been applied only by results of close-reopen war
although at 3-to-close, we are maybe near that :) I for one will likely vote reopen if it gets closed, possibly seeding a casus belli
 
@gnat Hm, all three close votes were prior to the edits. I can still see the question getting closed and I can also see it getting further improved. It's going to get a bit messy because it will be locked as a rejected migration, preferably people should edit it now.
 
6:53 PM
@YannisRizos got it, see changes in rev 9
:)
 
Ah, finally it was made CW.... That'll stop the rep-wh... enthusiasts?
 
@YannisRizos answers are non-CW (yet, and I hope it'll stay that way)
although... at 220 top score in SE hot questions, one never knows
 
Hm? I thought when the question was turned CW the answers were turned automatically?
 
nope, as far as i understand this one is kind of CW that works on "one-post-granularity"...
 
> made Community Wiki by being edited by more than 5 different editors
 
7:04 PM
"made Community Wiki by being edited by more than 5 different editors"
yup
 
Yes, that probably applies only for the post that had more than 5 diff editors.
 
how the heck did CW-algorithm count me as fifth at rev 9 I don't know, I clearly did that at rev 6, and pdr covered more than that at rev 8 but oh well. Them Klingons...
 
7:21 PM
if it will not get "CW by too many answers" soon, I am probably going to loose some rep tomorrow, when I get my "voting gun" recharged to DV some crap answers. Bye-bye my rep, see you later :)
 
7:42 PM
@ThomasOwens You mentioned the Halstead complexity measures for code testability, so I was curious and looked it up....
The calculations mention Distinct Operators and Total Operators.... whats the difference?
 
@maple_shaft Distinct is you count the operators that exist. If you have + 8 times in the code and - 9 times, you have 2 distinct operators but 17 total operators.
I believe operators also includes a lot of other things - comparison, equality, and instantiation. I'd have to look up what all the operators are.
 
@ThomasOwens How does one have negative operators?
 
@maple_shaft As in the minus operator. int x = 7 - 2 has 2 operators - the assignment operator and the minus operator.
 
@ThomasOwens I am insanely stupid so be patient with me...
now bear with me here...
what?
= Assignment operator
 
Yep.
 
7:50 PM
- Mathematical subtraction operator
 
That's right.
 
2 distinct operators?
 
Yes.
 
How many total operators is that?
 
Now, if you had int x = 7 - 2 - 5, you'd have 3 total operators but 2 distinct operators.
Because you use the - operator twice.
 
7:51 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
ok
Is that distinct per line then or per code module then?
 
Unit. Typically a function/method or class.
You can count them at a package or even application level.
 
Yeah that entire thing sounds like quackery
Like Astrological charts or Myers-Briggs personality tests
BTW...
I am an INTJ
 
WOOO INTJ!
It's an INTJ party up in here.
 
I believe the 'J' is important to be a moderator
 
Although the last time I took the test, I was an ENTJ. I've always been right on the line, though, never too far into either I or E side.
 
7:55 PM
I also measure as Lawful Neutral by the D&D alignment quiz, which is probably more accurate than Myers-Briggs anyway
 
Is there a link to this?
I'm want to take it at home.
 
Myers-Briggs?
 
I seem to recall that I wasn INT(PJ) -- the P/J was evenly split.
IIRC, the real test for Myers-Briggs can only be administrated by a trained psychologist (some regulation)
 
Its like an IQ test though... it is meaningless online unless you have a followup consult afterwards
@MichaelT exactly
 
@MichaelT That's true. I tend to take the implementation that came with my OrgBehavior book.
 
7:58 PM
Still, the online tests put you in the ballpark though you may not understand why something is one way rather than the other.
 
I have been looking for an INTJ woman my whole life, they are apparently rare... I settled for my wife, she is an ISTJ
nobody is perfect
 
Without the proper followup, its akin to your sun sign... general hints as to your personality but you may not understand why. (The MB is a bit more accurate than astrology...)
 
> INTJs live in the world of ideas and strategic planning. They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others.
^^^ ME 1000%
 
-2
Q: why are web apps often refered as "software"?

NickWhy are web applications often refered as "software"? An example may be salesforce's desk.com which is mentioned as "customer support softare" or zopim as a "customer chat softare" but are web applications using php and a database.

I have no words...
 
@YannisRizos what is this... i don't even...
 
8:02 PM
INTPs are quiet, thoughtful, analytical individuals who tend to spend long periods of time on their own, working through problems and forming solutions. They are curious about systems and how things work.
 
I hope that I am ENTJ. Napoleon, Ceasar, Sigmund Freud, Bill Gates, Carl Sagan, Margaret Thatcher.
I'm in good company.
 
> INTJs focus their energy on observing the world, and generating ideas and possibilities. ... They are tremendously insightful and usually are very quick to understand new ideas. However, their primary interest is not understanding a concept, but rather applying that concept in a useful way. Unlike the INTP, they do not follow an idea as far as they possibly can, seeking only to understand it fully. INTJs are driven to come to conclusions about ideas.
> Their need for closure and organization usually requires that they take some action
^^^ Again so much me
I need closure and have a lack of interest in concepts that aren't practical
 
Some time ago I found a book that addressed the different ways different cultures did the classifications... astrology, Chinese astrology, vedic astrology, year of the {animal}, MB, etc... It was a fascinating book.
 
> INTJs are natural leaders, although they usually choose to remain in the background until they see a real need to take over the lead.
Again me...
I hate leading things up but I feel compelled to when there isn't effective leadership
Notable INTJ's (speculation): Friederich Nietzsche, Thomas Jefferson, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Stanley Kubrick, Stephen Hawking, Nikola Tesla, Isaac Asimov, Ayn Rand, Jane Austen
>INTJs tend to blame misunderstandings on the limitations of the other party, rather than on their own difficulty in expressing themselves. This tendency may cause the INTJ to dismiss others input too quickly, and to become generally arrogant and elitist.
I have been accused of being arrogant my entire life
I am also convinced my opinions are correct
Other notable INTJ's: Hitler O_o
 
@maple_shaft a cow-orker of mine has a poster "Its my opinion and its very true."
 
8:18 PM
> INTJ is the third rarest type in the population, and the rarest type among women (with ENTJ). INTJs make up:
• 2% of the general population
• 3% of men
• 1% of women
Thats why I have never met an INTJ woman in my life, they are the rarest type amongst women...
> The most common career for INTJ is Computer Programmer
lol explains a lot
 
Most common career? Really?
 
I would suspect that *NTJ are common in STEM in general.
 
I have a hard time believing that's the "most common career" for any category of people other than Computer Programmers heh
@ThomasOwens I would believe that, but it just seems the % of people who are Computer Programmers compared to the % of the population is... unbelievably small
Now I'm going to have to go look it up and see what the % of population write software
 
@JimmyHoffa Given the number of career options, "most" for 2% of the population could be something as little as 0.2% of the population.
 
@JimmyHoffa They may consider all of IT to be "computer programmer."
 
8:26 PM
311m people 1.3m programmers per the BLS so that's like 0.3%
@MichaelT true, I hate that. Seriously. Half the time QA and PM are bundled together with computer programmer. That's like classifying executive assistant and executive as the same thing
0.3% of population is programmers, you have to assume no one classification could reasonably claim more than what, 60% of a given job? at least 40% have to be filled by the other 34 combinations you would guess..
Or some margin for the others
 
Other common careers, Database Administrator, Electrical Engineer, Lawyer
 
60% is pretty hard to say though, because if you're talking about 0.3%/60% = 0.18% of people from 2% of people, that's almost 10% of the entire INTJ pool... 1 in 10 INTJ's have a job that 3 in a thousand people in the normal population get?
 
@JimmyHoffa Not surprising... INTJ's are attracted to logical, rational systems that provide instantaneous conclusions and results
INTJ's can't help but feel compelled to computer systems
we require closure and seek results
 
> The INTJ may worry that the physical environment will fail them: that objects will break or go missing, or that resources will be inadequate. They may obsessively organize in an attempt to control their environments.
^^^ GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
I worry about stuff breaking down in my house all the time, I also obsessively try to control my environment even when its impossible
 
@maple_shaft you burn things to ensure they'll be gone forever too?? I thought it was just me! I mean.. excuse me, nevermind.
 
8:46 PM
@JimmyHoffa lol
 
8:58 PM
@JimmyHoffa When cleaning up a room that was unused for some time at my parents house, a number of old computers and hard drives were found. My father is currently going through and methodically destroying them (physically) in case there are any documents/records on them.
(I wish joke comments were more acceptable... I really want to respond on the "why is web apps software" question that has a comment of "Possibly for the same reason that apples are also referred to as "fruit". " with something along the lines of "why did I get dirty looks when I asked about fruits on the apple.stackexchange?' or "I refer to my apple as a Snow Leopard"
 
Does this sentence make sense somehow I don't understand?

"**CODE SOME PHP** (with .NET)"
 
@JimmyHoffa Speak some French (with Spanish). Nope.
 
9:52 PM
@delnan he's seen the magic number monster, he's prone to babbling incoherently. Yannis, no mention of the obscure risk of reverse engineering the values out speaking to why sensitive data should be encrypted in general so even if they are somehow retrieved regardless of other security measures, they are encrypted upon retrieval and need necessary keys to decrypt? .NET for example has for this exact reason built-in facilities for it's XML config files to have sections encrypted given a signing cert and .NET will encrypt/decrypt with that at runtime — Jimmy Hoffa 2 mins ago
@JimmyHoffa OP is 15, I doubt he'll understand (or care about) all that...
 
Ah heh, all the same someone is going to be told "You shouldn't put sensitive data in there like that" and they're going to google to find a reason why, see the title to that question and may take your answer as comprehensive
...this is why I answer very few questions, but write tons of comments heh, perhaps I'm just too paranoid
or critical or something. Iduno.
 
You have a point, go ahead and post an answer. Tequila time, I'm out.
 
Haha, later
 
ghads, talk about overly broad.
 
10:28 PM
@MichaelT ?
 
-2
Q: Beginner to start on OS development from Scratch!

VCKI am very interested in C++ and I want to make something I can feel good that I can make something out of C++ thus I want to learn how to create a C++ small OS from Scratch. Please advice. Thanks, Best Regards, Vic

 
10:54 PM
I really do wonder why people constantly confuse this place with a forum. Does SO have that too? I don't seem to see it when I do peruse SO..
I want to eat my mouth every time I see someone talking about this "thread"
 
@JimmyHoffa We do not require Togas, we thus cannot be a forum.
also I have half a mind to write a blog on learning English as your best programming language
 
11:27 PM
I don't know who it was that told me to go get a copy when I was younger, but someone told me to get a copy of Strunk and White and read it through. Everyone should be forced to read that, but then I'm quite weird; I actually like books based on their writing more than their content. I've enjoyed reading a few books I didn't even like just because I liked the way it was written.
And vice versa some stories I really wanted to hear I've made my wife summarize the story to me after she finished because I couldn't stand to read them
 

« first day (819 days earlier)      last day (641 days later) »